How to get a physical address that is not a PO Box

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2019 8:18 pm
Jul 2, 2013
794 posts
220 upvotes
Aurora

How to get a physical address that is not a PO Box

I have my business set to my home address and all is good in regards to Google Places showing up on results based on location. I would now like to change my business address for privacy reasons. Good gives negative ranking strikes for Po Boxes so do I have any other options?
23 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
Only the Post Office actually requires you to call your mailbox a PO Box. Most other commercial mailbox providers let you call it whatever you want, e.g., suite#, unit#, etc.
Jul 2, 2013
794 posts
220 upvotes
Aurora
Exp315 wrote: Only the Post Office actually requires you to call your mailbox a PO Box. Most other commercial mailbox providers let you call it whatever you want, e.g., suite#, unit#, etc.
Very interesting thanks! Would you know if having any of those other suffixes effects Googles rankings?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
lehmanr wrote: Very interesting thanks! Would you know if having any of those other suffixes effects Googles rankings?
It seems unlikely. How is Google going to distinguish every commercial building that provides office suites or stores from those that also or only provide mailboxes?
Mar 19, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
A little more expensive, but depending on your needs, you might be able to kill two birds with one stone - most membership coworking spaces include a mailing address service as part of their offering
Apr 8, 2018
1 posts
Is a comercial mail box all I need to register my startup in Ontario ? I live in QC and want to avoid the french laws requiring me to have a french name and that every thing be translated.
Jul 2, 2013
794 posts
220 upvotes
Aurora
sdbucknutle wrote: A little more expensive, but depending on your needs, you might be able to kill two birds with one stone - most membership coworking spaces include a mailing address service as part of their offering
Can you elaborate on this please? Membership coworking spaces?
Mar 19, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
It's a relatively new business model popping up around the world (the biggest player being WeWork), but it's essentially a monthly fee to have your own personal office or simply access to the space to work/study near others. Because it's catered to entrepreneurs and self-starters, they offer a lot of services (like mail) that are included in the membership rate.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1733 posts
1761 upvotes
Markham, ON
Google Virtual Office.
Some as little as $40/month, you can receive your mail and answer your calls.
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
67 upvotes
get a UPS mailbox.

you can list your address as Suite # 501 etc. or even APT number
Jul 23, 2009
721 posts
491 upvotes
lehmanr wrote: I have my business set to my home address and all is good in regards to Google Places showing up on results based on location. I would now like to change my business address for privacy reasons. Good gives negative ranking strikes for Po Boxes so do I have any other options?
if you dont want to physically receive packges/mails and just need for privacy reasons, look up THJ mailbox services, they have 80$ annual plan for virtual address.
Jul 4, 2013
252 posts
165 upvotes
Mississauga
Whatever you do, stay away from regus.ca :twisted:
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3487 posts
3895 upvotes
Montreal
Alexandra2109 wrote: Is a comercial mail box all I need to register my startup in Ontario ? I live in QC and want to avoid the french laws requiring me to have a french name and that every thing be translated.
But where will your employees work?
Where will your customers be?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
There's no privacy. Anyone can find out where you work, home address, etc. It's also a pain travelling to some PO Box every day to get mail etc. You need to suck it up and use your home address. Much more convenient and better for 'the google.'
Nov 13, 2016
424 posts
462 upvotes
Montreal
FrancisBacon wrote: But where will your employees work?
Where will your customers be?
Well the law states any business activity require you to register in QC Corp registry which creates another 350$ and overhead of dealing with french.

I am in similar boat - being an immigrant, I don't have ironclad ties to any province - right now I am in Montreal & its pretty good.
But the overhead costs to deal with french kinda make me think thrice about everything - I am not complaining per se but tad a bit frustrated.

Quick Questions I have wrt Incorporation / Running business. Tagging the expert @eonibm for more perspectives.

1. Can I submit the response to the Online incorporation form (QC) in french - especially wrt the share capital and stuff. I know that the form is in French & I can work with it using Google translate / a friend but I would like to know if Registreentreprises will process the incorporation application if the response is in English.

2. Adding to the above question - do I need to deal with French for every change or filing? If yes, its an additional overhead wrt time and expense (May need to use lawyer every time)

3. I may move to Ontario (unsure as of now) - should I then cancel the QC corp (because I no longer have an address in QC) and then open an Ontario Corp? (Maybe a Federal with Ontario registration because it's cheaper)

4. I was thinking of opening a Federal Corp but realized if I change the province - I need to raise an amendment which cost 200$ again. And again deal with dissolving QC registration - I mean its a lot of work & seems like an overhead.

5. Do anyone have a template for a share capital that covers most cases other than the generic 2 class one. Something which is flexible and more elaborate.
Sharing is Caring ;) | Koodo | Amex | ATT | Fizz
Mar 28, 2011
229 posts
210 upvotes
Local Ontarian Scotl…
Correct answer is .... #4
Open federal corp with one provincial registration (ON) (price inc).

I've lived in Montreal 4 years))
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
rfdjugaad wrote: Well the law states any business activity require you to register in QC Corp registry which creates another 350$ and overhead of dealing with french.

I am in similar boat - being an immigrant, I don't have ironclad ties to any province - right now I am in Montreal & its pretty good.
But the overhead costs to deal with french kinda make me think thrice about everything - I am not complaining per se but tad a bit frustrated.

Quick Questions I have wrt Incorporation / Running business. Tagging the expert @eonibm for more perspectives.

1. Can I submit the response to the Online incorporation form (QC) in french - especially wrt the share capital and stuff. I know that the form is in French & I can work with it using Google translate / a friend but I would like to know if Registreentreprises will process the incorporation application if the response is in English.

2. Adding to the above question - do I need to deal with French for every change or filing? If yes, its an additional overhead wrt time and expense (May need to use lawyer every time)

3. I may move to Ontario (unsure as of now) - should I then cancel the QC corp (because I no longer have an address in QC) and then open an Ontario Corp? (Maybe a Federal with Ontario registration because it's cheaper)

4. I was thinking of opening a Federal Corp but realized if I change the province - I need to raise an amendment which cost 200$ again. And again deal with dissolving QC registration - I mean its a lot of work & seems like an overhead.

5. Do anyone have a template for a share capital that covers most cases other than the generic 2 class one. Something which is flexible and more elaborate.
Sorry I am not necessarily an expert in all of the finer obscure details with regard to incorporation, especially regarding the French language!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)