Food & Drink

How to get real congee feel and flavour?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2019 11:37 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2145 posts
535 upvotes
In Hiding

How to get real congee feel and flavour?

I've tried to make congee in a pot, in a slow cooker, in an Instant pot. It never has that distinct taste and texture found in the Chinese restaurants. I use jasmine rice.

Anyone care to share the secret of the recipe?
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes
Catnippy wrote: I've tried to make congee in a pot, in a slow cooker, in an Instant pot. It never has that distinct taste and texture found in the Chinese restaurants. I use jasmine rice.

Use calrose rice. And MSG
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6721 posts
3779 upvotes
Aurora
Perhaps I'm too easily satisfied but I use a very simple method with the most basic ingredients and have always gotten a creamy, fluffy, restaurant-esque congee. I think the one thing I do that might be different is that I coat the rice with oil first. My basic white congee recipe:

• 1/2 cup rinsed plain Jane jasmine rice, drained.
  • Stir in 1 Tbsp oil (not olive) and let soak a couple of hrs or overnight.
  • Simmer rice in 4.5 cups water (9:1 water:rice ratio) for 1.5 hrs or until it has the desired fluffy consistency. Add more water in small (1/2 cup) quantities as needed during the cook - usually towards the end when the congee starts to get thick and you can judge the desired consistency. STIR THE BOTTOM OFTEN!
  • Salt, white pepper, chopped green onion garnish to taste.

Note: I don't recommend cooking congee in an Instant Pot (nor any device like a rice cooker where you're forced to let it complete it's program before you can adjust the in-progress results). It gives you no opportunity to adjust consistency throughout the cooking. I suppose it's OK if you've got the timing down pat for a given quantity of rice and water but inflexible when you want to change the amount you make. Just my opinion. If you have the timing and amount perfected, then I notice no difference in taste for the same ingredients in an IP vs regular pot.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
1030 posts
333 upvotes
cornstarch and MSG/chicken stock powder
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6721 posts
3779 upvotes
Aurora
blarg wrote: cornstarch and MSG/chicken stock powder
Good real stock can enhance the flavour but if you only have Knorr's poweded chicken stock, I wouldn't bother. MSG? I never tried to add it in congee and never felt that it needed it so I can't say. Cornstarch? Definite 100% no since the rice is already starchy and thickens on it's own; the only variable is the water to rice ratio that you start with.

I can't stress enough - simpler is better!
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14914 posts
4352 upvotes
Montréal
Just get a congee/soymilk/etc maker, mine is an older model by now, can get it less than 100$, perfect congee all the time, don't need to watch over it.

.Rice
.water
.Sprinkle of salt
.Some sesame oil
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19224 posts
2078 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Blend it to hell and back and salad and pepper to taste.
May 7, 2008
711 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
Firstly - stop using the Instant Pot - love mine, but garbage for rice or congee.

Soak your rice - any long grained rice will do - no need for calrose, jasmine works fine. Soak for at least a couple of hours to soften rice.

Use chicken stock if possible for best results, (store bought canned ones work well too) but "chicken powder" will suffice. I like to use at least 2/3 of stock for the liquid portion. If getting fancy - add chicken or turkey drumstick/wings for additional flavor.

Ensure you got a proper liquid to rice ratio. Different congee styles will require different ratios.

Finally finish your congee at high heat if you're looking to get the HK style "silkiness"
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2373 posts
3241 upvotes
Gotta add ginger for some extra zing.
Mar 16, 2007
308 posts
140 upvotes
GTA
grind the rice in a vitamix before cooking for the texture.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
What recipe are you using now?
You're probably missing key ingredients.
nioero wrote: grind the rice in a vitamix before cooking for the texture.
allmywat.jpg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2145 posts
535 upvotes
In Hiding
I use 1 cup jasmine rice (washed not soaked), salt, oil, ginger, red date, dried tangerine peel with 6 cups water. Bring to boil, simmer for 4 hours with lid half on pot. Then I add white pepper and spring onion before eating.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6345 posts
1519 upvotes
Richmond Hill
the trick is to wash your rice before hand (drain water), add a bit of salt and oil (mix it), then FREEZE it overnight (or long enough that its completely frozen). Add the frozen rice into the hot boiling water. The extreme temp difference will make the congee fluffy.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3798 posts
1697 upvotes
This rainy and wet Sunday afternoon, I sure could use a delicious bowl of hot seafood congee right about now. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45437 posts
8447 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
DiceMan wrote: Good real stock can enhance the flavour but if you only have Knorr's poweded chicken stock, I wouldn't bother. MSG? I never tried to add it in congee and never felt that it needed it so I can't say. Cornstarch? Definite 100% no since the rice is already starchy and thickens on it's own; the only variable is the water to rice ratio that you start with.

I can't stress enough - simpler is better!
Sounds like they want that restaurant flavor. Which is corn starch, and msg all the way.

I remember as a kid... i loved the texture of velveted beef. Where they tenderize/marinade the shit out of beef into a mushy pulp for beef fried noodles.

Sure a slice of fresh whole some beef is great... but Cantonese restaurant food has this certain quAlity to it.

But i wouldnt advise eating like that everyday hehehe
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Which is corn starch, and msg all the way.
There's definitely chicken powder but I don't recall corn starch in it.
I'll dig up my recipe books later tonight to see what the steps are.
MSG might obviously be a thing in some restaurants too. I mean like MSG powder not the MSG that's in the chicken powder.
I remember as a kid... i loved the texture of velveted beef. Where they tenderize/marinade the shit out of beef into a mushy pulp for beef fried noodles.

Sure a slice of fresh whole some beef is great... but Cantonese restaurant food has this certain quAlity to it.
Right? It's certainly not "beef" as we know it any more but it's good for a whole host of other reasons.
I actually did this to a whole ungraded strip once. Shared it with a couple of my friends.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6330 posts
2831 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I used to eat almost nothing but this stuff for the 1st 5 years of my life, and have hardly (or most likely) not touched the stuff in over 50 years since.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6721 posts
3779 upvotes
Aurora
UrbanPoet wrote:
Sounds like they want that restaurant flavor. Which is corn starch, and msg all the way.

But i wouldnt advise eating like that everyday hehehe
I'll say again that I'm probably too easily satisfied! MSG, I just can't say - I've never used it in congee. But I've never understood putting cornstarch in it. I've always been very happy with how the starchy rice alone thickens itself. Too thin - add more rice next time. Too thick - add more water/stock during cooking. To my simple taste buds, my congee usually turns out pretty close to restaurant quality.
death_hawk wrote: Right? It's certainly not "beef" as we know it any more but it's good for a whole host of other reasons.
I actually did this to a whole ungraded strip once. Shared it with a couple of my friends.
Yeah, the velveting of beef (and also chicken and pork) in Chinese restaurants is certainly different. I was trying to create it for years. Then I ran across the technique of coating beef strips with baking soda for about 15/20 min (then rinsing off baking soda) prior to stir-frying. The texture is 100% correct. I've also heard of other Asian velveting/tenderizing techniques like pineapple juice and 7-up(!) but have never tried those.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1158 upvotes
Catnippy wrote: I've tried to make congee in a pot, in a slow cooker, in an Instant pot. It never has that distinct taste and texture found in the Chinese restaurants. I use jasmine rice.

MSG is the secret. I think they add corn starch to make the liquid more gooey.

I wouldn't consider the Chinese restaurant versions to be "authentic". Congee has roots as a "poor man" food. Home cooked congee would generally be lighter in taste, and much more runny. I don't mentally associate congee as a gourmet food. It's something families make for you when you are sick, or otherwise need something easy to digest.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45437 posts
8447 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
@DiceMan

True... OP is using all these kitchen appliances...

You need to just simmer this out on the stove. Then use your intuition, eye, and taste to get it to the right texture. It speeds it up to use left over cooked rice.

Add

-chicken powder for a savoury taste enhancement
-slice or two of ginger. It adds a layer of flavour to it

Then you can add whatever your optional meat is.