Home & Garden

How to get rid of all my landscaping dirt?

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2019 11:28 pm
[OP]
Jun 12, 2007
858 posts
488 upvotes

How to get rid of all my landscaping dirt?

Im digging up about a 25foot pathway in my front yard, and I have no idea where to dump my wheelbarrows of dirt.
I heard you can rent bins but how the hell do you get a wheel barrow up in the air to dump all that dirt?
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9686 posts
5061 upvotes
Paris
kingkelly wrote: Im digging up about a 25foot pathway in my front yard, and I have no idea where to dump my wheelbarrows of dirt.
I heard you can rent bins but how the hell do you get a wheel barrow up in the air to dump all that dirt?
Rent a bin with a door. Very common in all the Holmes/Baumler shows. They also have them at my local dump.
[OP]
Jun 12, 2007
858 posts
488 upvotes
Any cheaper way? Those bins look like theyre around $350
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1710 posts
909 upvotes
Toronto
there are companies that rent smaller bins - 7 yard is probably plenty for what you need and shouldn't cost $350, I've even seen smaller bins these days as I drive around town. There really is no other way to dispose of that much dirt.

What you can do is find a neighbour in the same boat and split the cost. There's always somebody with dirt they need rid of, I know I do right now and would love to split a bin rental with somebody.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2278 posts
1621 upvotes
SW Ontario
Or someone looking for clean fill and dump it off yourself.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1600 posts
667 upvotes
London
Go for a walk everynight and do as they did in “The Great Escape”!

Have a great weekend everyone.
Feb 25, 2004
935 posts
414 upvotes
Longueuil
I don't know where you live but your city might have a disposal site free to use for citizens (not for companies). I used the F-150 of my uncle a few years ago to dump soil and last year I used the trailer and Escape of my brother-in-law. I think we are allowed 10 trips per year in my city. Before this limit I even used my 2005 Focus but I would not recommend it, I had to do multiple trips to limit the weight (I didn't have that much to dump that time so it was OK).
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11908 posts
8172 upvotes
Edmonton
Keep in mind the bins (at least when we rented them) had a drop-off fee and then a dumping fee. The dumping fee is based on the weight, and as you’re probably very aware, dirt is heavy.

Cheapest bet is finding someone looking for clean fill, and rent a trailer

C
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
I would put an ad up for free fill. Usually people around with trucks that could use some.
[OP]
Jun 12, 2007
858 posts
488 upvotes
Thanks all, I put up an ad on kijiji today.
All my dirts sitting on a 10x12' tarp on my driveway right now, not sure what the rain will do to that tomorrow :|

I think I can get a bin dropped off and picked up for $200. But I'd rather spend way less since this landscaping junks already killing my wallet.

I might try the renting a pickup from Home Depot for 4 hrs route, and shovel it all in there and take it to a dumping site. Will have to look up if theres one in Etobicoke or Toronto.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4386 posts
4443 upvotes
Vancouver
kingkelly wrote: Thanks all, I put up an ad on kijiji today.
All my dirts sitting on a 10x12' tarp on my driveway right now, not sure what the rain will do to that tomorrow :|
I think you'll find some takers. You might want to throw another 10x12' tarp over the top to keep it dry.
Apr 13, 2016
160 posts
28 upvotes
They sell big huge plastic type bags from the big box hardware stores. Takes up half your driveway, but only 2 feet tall.
The price includes pick-up.
It is for construction materials. Not sure the price but way less than the big bins at 350-400.
[OP]
Jun 12, 2007
858 posts
488 upvotes
MichaelR901173 wrote: They sell big huge plastic type bags from the big box hardware stores. Takes up half your driveway, but only 2 feet tall.
The price includes pick-up.
It is for construction materials. Not sure the price but way less than the big bins at 350-400.
Home Depot has these things if thats what youre talking about? https://www.homedepot.ca/product/waste- ... 1000671727
$45 for the bag, but another ~$150 for pickup :o
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16932 posts
1780 upvotes
Thornhill
koffey wrote: Yeah, and these bags can't take much weight, so you'll need quite a few of them. Get a bin.
Bagster limit is ~3000lbs iirc.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products