• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2020 9:55 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1662 posts
2016 upvotes

How to get rid of Cinch Bugs?

Looks like my grass is getting destroyed by cinch bugs. Some parts are beautiful green, others are absolutely destroyed. It's water equally. Dunno if its grubs or cinch bugs. I've seen 2 bugs that may look like cinch before. what can I do to get rid of it?

I've read about Bifen L/P and Reclain I/T. Can't find anywhere to purchase in Toronto??
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5109 posts
4050 upvotes
Are you sure you have chinch bugs? It's probably the grass having gone dormant due to lack of rain. You should first confirm that you do have chinch bugs, which TBH is hard to do. It's OK to have a few so don't assume that if you spot 2 you have an infestation. Also chinch bugs prefer lawns when there's a drought period.

Based on my experience, just let it be for now as there's not much you can do about. In the fall dethatch your lawn thoroughly and then overseed - the following year my lawn recovered but each Jul/Aug that patch of lawn turns yellow as it's gone dormant because of the constant exposure to sun (whereas the rest of the lawn receives shade and is able to remain green). To avoid future issues, water your lawn if it hasn't rained for more than 3-4 weeks.
Dec 16, 2010
141 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Nematodes may work. Different blends may work better for grubs vs cinch flies. I've had good success in the past against grubs, and have just this month applied more nematodes to combat something else with results pending. (nematodes work best in warm and wet, not hot and dry weather like we've had locally lately). Those chemicals are my backup plan, but also haven't seen where to get them locally unless I use a pest company.