Home & Garden

How to get rid of a scunk family of 4 for free?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2019 3:14 pm
[OP]
Sep 3, 2006
551 posts
154 upvotes
GTA Ontario

How to get rid of a scunk family of 4 for free?

Hi,

Having them since last year (first seeing one that time). This year, there are family of 4.
They have a den under my neighbor's shed, but 2 entrances from my garden.
Tried to close the entrance, but they reopen in a day. They eating my fruits from my garden, etc.
So far, no accidents with spraying.

Is there a service in GTA, that will remove them for free? Or what would be approximately cost of such a service.
Animal Control was mentioned to me, however all info from website, saying of pay such a service.

I am not going to do on my own, using a cage, one can buy from store.
I may take losses this year (with my garden), and cover current entrances with some enforcements, like a steel net, etc.

Thanks for sharing any experience with such a creatures.

Richard
24 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18711 posts
21393 upvotes
GTA
*edit* I was thinking racoons, skunks are worse. I wouldn't do anything that risked getting anyone sprayed. You and your neighbour should split the cost of getting them relocated.

Yes, make their life difficult by blocking up any easy access, you could install automatic water sprayers, or install some ultrasonic deterrents, but if your garden is still the best source of food, they will keep coming no matter what.
If you're sure they're away, I would help your neighbour block up the den with some large patio stones or by pouring concrete into the den.
Get rid of them ASAP before someone gets sprayed.
Last edited by engineered on Jun 17th, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10299 posts
10491 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: House sit a large dog in your backyard. My brother's Malamute Husky would tear racoons to shreds.
Otherwise, yes, make their life difficult by blocking up any easy access, you could install automatic water sprayers, or install some ultrasonic deterrents, but if your garden is still the best source of food, they will keep coming no matter what.
I would help your neighbour block up the den with some large patio stones or by pouring concrete into the den, but if their inside at the time it would technically be illegal if someone found out.
Get rid of them ASAP before they make their next den in your attic and destroy your house.
I think OP is talking about skunks. It would be very impressive if these skunks made dens in the attic.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6057 posts
1879 upvotes
Mississauga
engineered wrote: House sit a large dog in your backyard. My brother's Malamute Husky would tear racoons to shreds.
Otherwise, yes, make their life difficult by blocking up any easy access, you could install automatic water sprayers, or install some ultrasonic deterrents, but if your garden is still the best source of food, they will keep coming no matter what.
I would help your neighbour block up the den with some large patio stones or by pouring concrete into the den, but if their inside at the time it would technically be illegal if someone found out.
Get rid of them ASAP before they make their next den in your attic and destroy your house.
you don't want a Dog to get sprayed by a skunk.... it's not funny...
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18711 posts
21393 upvotes
GTA
Anikiri wrote: I think OP is talking about skunks. It would be very impressive if these skunks made dens in the attic.
I had a friend in school who had a skunk family under their home. Her dad decided to get rid of them and there was a lot of spraying. When she cam back from summer break, her clothes smelled of skunk and she couldn't get rid of it. I think she eventually replaced most of her clothes.
Ducky wrote: you don't want a Dog to get sprayed by a skunk.... it's not funny...
lol, yea, I don't know why I started thinking racoons. Maybe because they're a more common problem.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13002 posts
9929 upvotes
Edmonton
The dog may attack a raccoon, but if it attacks a skunk, you'll be dealing with a large smelly situation in a short order...

Automated (motion sensitive) sprinklers may be a good idea, though. Could also try some predator urine (coyote, etc).

C
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20881 posts
19151 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Somethings as a home owner are just worth the money...
PROFESSIONAL Pest control / eradication would be on that list for me
ESPECIALLY if you are dealing with HORRIDLY SMELLY Skunks

Ya want them gone for good
And gone quickly, with the least issues for you, your family, pets etc
Just pay the fee
It’s worth it in the long run
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10486 upvotes
Ottawa
We had skunk under my deck. Threw a bunch of mothballs under the deck and they left. Used a whole big box. Apparently they do not like that smell. Smelled like mothballs for a while but a few rains and it went away.
Jul 29, 2013
122 posts
146 upvotes
Calgary
+1 for the mothballs.

I just had a family of skunks under my front porch and threw in a bag and sealed off the entrances. Haven't seen them or any new holes for a couple weeks now.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7650 posts
4567 upvotes
Mississauga
I highly doubt OP will find someone to do this job for free.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
667 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Please make sure they're not in their den/home if you decide to concrete or barricade it up. That's mean.

Agree with previous poster - don't mess around with something like this on your own -hire a professional. I also had a friend that tried to do what you propose - they got sprayed and stunk for months afterwards. It was like that smell was embedded in their skin.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18711 posts
21393 upvotes
GTA
NickL645 wrote: +1 for the mothballs.

I just had a family of skunks under my front porch and threw in a bag and sealed off the entrances. Haven't seen them or any new holes for a couple weeks now.
Yes, it will create a toxic gas chamber of 1,4-dichlorobenzene, which should drive them away, hopefully not under OP's deck, lol. Other chemicals could also work, just don't use something flammable like gasoline as it would be pretty dangerous.
Dec 8, 2009
351 posts
60 upvotes
That is what I did and it worked. Point a workshop light directly at their den all day long so they can’t sleep. They will leave after a few days.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2006
551 posts
154 upvotes
GTA Ontario
hi,

I mentioned a free service as I was advised by someone, that is free; well it looks like it wasn't a correct info.
No, we do not have any pet, and these creature in a corner of my garden.

What is the cost of removing them by a pro?
Also, I will look into other option mentioned here.

Thanks
Dec 4, 2005
206 posts
50 upvotes
Vancouver
A coworker told me he once threw a large pile of really hot peppers under his shed where a family was staying. I guess they ate some and never came back. You Can try that for a few bucks and see how it goes.... good luck
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1936 posts
1809 upvotes
Ottawa
TomLafinsky wrote: 120V @ 15 amps will do the trick. Connect electric wire into a traditional (not a GFCI) outlet. It will cost you a garbage bag + inexpensive disposal gloves per skunk. Make sure clothing doesn't touch dead skunk.
Great idea! Can you try it on yourself and report back to us? Thanks!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11466 posts
6643 upvotes
Paris
iflyplanes wrote: Great idea! Can you try it on yourself and report back to us? Thanks!
Feels tingly.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10486 upvotes
Ottawa
TomLafinsky wrote:
120V @ 15 amps will do the trick. Connect electric wire into a traditional (not a GFCI) outlet. It will cost you a garbage bag + inexpensive disposal gloves per skunk. Make sure clothing doesn't touch dead skunk.
iflyplanes wrote:
Great idea! Can you try it on yourself and report back to us? Thanks!
TomLafinsky wrote: Been using this method for 30 years and it works like a charm. Screw two lengths of copper wire about 2" apart to a 2X4 and connect to extension cord. It is FREE except for the garbage bag and the nitrile gloves. Also works with raccoons.
In 30 years, how many animals have you killed?
I think a less fatal method is required. I am pretty sure that you are not allowed to kill the animals.
https://torontolife.com/food/urban-decoder-law-15/
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15360 posts
9891 upvotes
Toronto
Trap and release. I do this all the time. After the skunk is trapped, put a blanket over the cage and take it somewhere else, drop him/her off and repeat. Pretty easy and you can do it in a few days. Helps with raccoons as well. Getting sprayed is almost impossible.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)