Food & Drink

How good are the replicas of the Worcesteshire Sauce?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 10:39 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
646 upvotes

How good are the replicas of the Worcesteshire Sauce?

I've recently bought one from Food Basics ("Selection" brand), as the original one was not available,
and it seems too acidic and bland.

Are there any better alternatives?
25 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14472 posts
9269 upvotes
Markham
For the amount you use, buy the real sauce is my advice. This is not the place to save a buck.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
May 28, 2012
11429 posts
3752 upvotes
Saskatoon
^ I agree. I stock up on a couple extra bottles every time Costco has the Lea & Perrins on sale. Looks like Selections is a house brand for Food Basics...maybe check if they have a satisfaction guarantee on their products and take it back for a refund/exchange.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6961 posts
3193 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I bought some U.S. condiment brand (maybe French or A-1) a few years ago and found it insipid. Then again, I find Lea & Perrin pretty insipid these days too. Just not as piquant though my taste buds could have changed over the decades.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Dec 8, 2015
355 posts
191 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
They are acidic and bland, next buy the orig.Winking Face
Dec 8, 2015
355 posts
191 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
If I absolutely can't get Lea & Perrins, the next best thing is the No name brand, the Selection or Compliments brands are terrible.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4596 upvotes
Montréal
jemjem9 wrote: If I absolutely can't get Lea & Perrins, the next best thing is the No name brand, the Selection or Compliments brands are terrible.
Yup, the No Name one is surprisingly good, it even rivals the original imho. I wanted a cheaper sauce since I pour buckets to marinade my steaks.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Dec 8, 2015
355 posts
191 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I know eh, who would have thought it would be a quality product. I love No name cookies too.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6961 posts
3193 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
No Name as in Loblaw's no-name or some other?
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4596 upvotes
Montréal
thriftshopper wrote: No Name as in Loblaw's no-name or some other?
Yup, Loblaw's.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
646 upvotes
Ah... Okey, thank you, folks! Most helpful replies.

So, basically, "Selection" knock-off is just an artificially flavoured vinegar (I've already thrown it in the garbage).

I'll then try NoName on occasion. I find generally that NoName (and especially President's Choice) show better quality..

Worcestershire Sauce (and I misspelled it in the title, of course, who does not :) ) is in fact no mystery so it is curious why
they cannot replicate it very closely...
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4596 upvotes
Montréal
Tichi wrote: Ah... Okey, thank you, folks! Most helpful replies.

So, basically, "Selection" knock-off is just an artificially flavoured vinegar (I've already thrown it in the garbage).

I'll then try NoName on occasion. I find generally that NoName (and especially President's Choice) show better quality..

Worcestershire Sauce (and I misspelled it in the title, of course, who does not :) ) is in fact no mystery so it is curious why
Oh, but due to princeling Galen Jr's massive resources, they finally cracked the recipe. L&P is in trouble now....next challenge, KFC's secret 11 herbs & spices muhahahahahahah

LOL, j/k, kinda, but it's comparable imho.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10517 posts
4637 upvotes
Agree for No Name. Actually the no name soy sauce is surprisingly good too.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6961 posts
3193 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Gutty96 wrote: Agree for No Name. Actually the no name soy sauce is surprisingly good too.
I wonder if it might be the same as Rooster or T&T labelled ones?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46879 posts
10012 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Tichi wrote: Ah... Okey, thank you, folks! Most helpful replies.

I find selecton is the worst of the “generic no name” versions.

No name, and sometimes walmart great value brand do a better job @ generics! Althoufh GV cheese is terrible. ick.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1692 posts
1150 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: No Name as in Loblaw's no-name or some other?
"No Name" is a registered trade mark and brand owned by Loblaw's. This was their marketing genius in the late 70's early 80's as generic products to major brands were taking hold. It didn't hurt that some of the products were in fact equal to or even better than some of those major brands.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Name_(brand)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2964 upvotes
if you like dim sum and lik the worchester sauce they use on spring rolls, dumplings etc, then go to TnT and buy a chinese worchester sauce. It's every bit as tasty as the western brands.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6961 posts
3193 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
badOne wrote: if you like dim sum and lik the worchester sauce they use on spring rolls, dumplings etc, then go to TnT and buy a chinese worchester sauce.
Any name? No T&T where I am w/o going overseas but there's a local Chinese-owned chain (which, inexplicably, sells Golden Dragon).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6961 posts
3193 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
my0gr81 wrote: "No Name" is a registered trade mark and brand owned by Loblaw's. This was their marketing genius in the late 70's early 80's as generic products to major brands were taking hold. It didn't hurt that some of the products were in fact equal to or even better than some of those major brands.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Name_(brand)
Wasn't capitalised so wasn't sure if the reference was to Loblaw's "No Name" vs. generic no-name. Just like people use to say xerox for generic photocopying vs. using a genuine Xerox to accomplish the same.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2964 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Any name? No T&T where I am w/o going overseas but there's a local Chinese-owned chain (which, inexplicably, sells Golden Dragon).
Wan Ja Shan brand of Premium Worchester Sauce. No color, no preservatives is very tasty. I actually prefer this over the normal english stuff. Did you know the original worchester sauce was aged, then they changed the recipe like 15 years ago so that it isnt anymore. It is far inferior to the original stuff.