Food & Drink

How good are the replicas of the Worcesteshire Sauce?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 10:39 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1883 posts
604 upvotes

How good are the replicas of the Worcesteshire Sauce?

I've recently bought one from Food Basics ("Selection" brand), as the original one was not available,
and it seems too acidic and bland.

Are there any better alternatives?
25 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10874 posts
5989 upvotes
Markham
For the amount you use, buy the real sauce is my advice. This is not the place to save a buck.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
May 28, 2012
10930 posts
3107 upvotes
Saskatoon
^ I agree. I stock up on a couple extra bottles every time Costco has the Lea & Perrins on sale. Looks like Selections is a house brand for Food Basics...maybe check if they have a satisfaction guarantee on their products and take it back for a refund/exchange.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4724 posts
2054 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I bought some U.S. condiment brand (maybe French or A-1) a few years ago and found it insipid. Then again, I find Lea & Perrin pretty insipid these days too. Just not as piquant though my taste buds could have changed over the decades.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Dec 8, 2015
246 posts
126 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
They are acidic and bland, next buy the orig.Winking Face
Dec 8, 2015
246 posts
126 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
If I absolutely can't get Lea & Perrins, the next best thing is the No name brand, the Selection or Compliments brands are terrible.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13671 posts
3702 upvotes
Montréal
jemjem9 wrote: If I absolutely can't get Lea & Perrins, the next best thing is the No name brand, the Selection or Compliments brands are terrible.
Yup, the No Name one is surprisingly good, it even rivals the original imho. I wanted a cheaper sauce since I pour buckets to marinade my steaks.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Dec 8, 2015
246 posts
126 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I know eh, who would have thought it would be a quality product. I love No name cookies too.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4724 posts
2054 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
No Name as in Loblaw's no-name or some other?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13671 posts
3702 upvotes
Montréal
thriftshopper wrote: No Name as in Loblaw's no-name or some other?
Yup, Loblaw's.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1883 posts
604 upvotes
Ah... Okey, thank you, folks! Most helpful replies.

So, basically, "Selection" knock-off is just an artificially flavoured vinegar (I've already thrown it in the garbage).

I'll then try NoName on occasion. I find generally that NoName (and especially President's Choice) show better quality..

Worcestershire Sauce (and I misspelled it in the title, of course, who does not :) ) is in fact no mystery so it is curious why
they cannot replicate it very closely...
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13671 posts
3702 upvotes
Montréal
Tichi wrote: Ah... Okey, thank you, folks! Most helpful replies.

So, basically, "Selection" knock-off is just an artificially flavoured vinegar (I've already thrown it in the garbage).

I'll then try NoName on occasion. I find generally that NoName (and especially President's Choice) show better quality..

Worcestershire Sauce (and I misspelled it in the title, of course, who does not :) ) is in fact no mystery so it is curious why
Oh, but due to princeling Galen Jr's massive resources, they finally cracked the recipe. L&P is in trouble now....next challenge, KFC's secret 11 herbs & spices muhahahahahahah

LOL, j/k, kinda, but it's comparable imho.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8486 posts
2951 upvotes
Agree for No Name. Actually the no name soy sauce is surprisingly good too.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4724 posts
2054 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Gutty96 wrote: Agree for No Name. Actually the no name soy sauce is surprisingly good too.
I wonder if it might be the same as Rooster or T&T labelled ones?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43435 posts
6689 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Tichi wrote: Ah... Okey, thank you, folks! Most helpful replies.

I find selecton is the worst of the “generic no name” versions.

No name, and sometimes walmart great value brand do a better job @ generics! Althoufh GV cheese is terrible. ick.