Food & Drink

How good are the replicas of the Worcesteshire Sauce?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 10:39 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1394 posts
851 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: No Name as in Loblaw's no-name or some other?
"No Name" is a registered trade mark and brand owned by Loblaw's. This was their marketing genius in the late 70's early 80's as generic products to major brands were taking hold. It didn't hurt that some of the products were in fact equal to or even better than some of those major brands.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Name_(brand)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6654 posts
2904 upvotes
if you like dim sum and lik the worchester sauce they use on spring rolls, dumplings etc, then go to TnT and buy a chinese worchester sauce. It's every bit as tasty as the western brands.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4731 posts
2063 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
badOne wrote: if you like dim sum and lik the worchester sauce they use on spring rolls, dumplings etc, then go to TnT and buy a chinese worchester sauce.
Any name? No T&T where I am w/o going overseas but there's a local Chinese-owned chain (which, inexplicably, sells Golden Dragon).
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4731 posts
2063 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
my0gr81 wrote: "No Name" is a registered trade mark and brand owned by Loblaw's. This was their marketing genius in the late 70's early 80's as generic products to major brands were taking hold. It didn't hurt that some of the products were in fact equal to or even better than some of those major brands.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Name_(brand)
Wasn't capitalised so wasn't sure if the reference was to Loblaw's "No Name" vs. generic no-name. Just like people use to say xerox for generic photocopying vs. using a genuine Xerox to accomplish the same.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6654 posts
2904 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Any name? No T&T where I am w/o going overseas but there's a local Chinese-owned chain (which, inexplicably, sells Golden Dragon).
Wan Ja Shan brand of Premium Worchester Sauce. No color, no preservatives is very tasty. I actually prefer this over the normal english stuff. Did you know the original worchester sauce was aged, then they changed the recipe like 15 years ago so that it isnt anymore. It is far inferior to the original stuff.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4731 posts
2063 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
badOne wrote: Wan Ja Shan brand of Premium Worchester Sauce. No color, no preservatives is very tasty. I actually prefer this over the normal english stuff.
Thanks, will looks for it.
Did you know the original worchester sauce was aged, then they changed the recipe like 15 years ago so that it isnt anymore. It is far inferior to the original stuff.
No but it wouldn't surprise me. I don;t consumer much but it's definitely become insipid.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7008 posts
4173 upvotes
Victoria, BC
jemjem9 wrote: I know eh, who would have thought it would be a quality product. I love No name cookies too.
I find many of the No Name products extremely good, and dare I say some are better than the "originals".
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4731 posts
2063 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I bought No Name (TM) worcestershire sauce the other day as RCSS had it on sale ($2). Initial thoughts was that it was more vinegary than L&P. Can't say it has the more taste and fuller body.
Dec 8, 2015
246 posts
126 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
badOne wrote: Wan Ja Shan brand of Premium Worchester Sauce. No color, no preservatives is very tasty. I actually prefer this over the normal english stuff. Did you know the original worchester sauce was aged, then they changed the recipe like 15 years ago so that it isnt anymore. It is far inferior to the original stuff.
It has double the sodium though.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3296 upvotes
Tichi wrote: Worcestershire Sauce (and I misspelled it in the title, of course, who does not :) ) is in fact no mystery so it is curious why
they cannot replicate it very closely...
It has to be aged (Tabasco is the same) which is why the leading brand costs more and tastes better. The cheaper brands save money by cutting out the barrel-aging process. I like PC Chipotle sauce a lot but fully admit Tabasco Chipotle has much more complex, sophisticated flavour.

To me Worcestershire sauce is like a hybrid of Maggi Tamarina chutney sauce (minus the heat & cornstarch, Tamarina is also tamarind-based and spiced) plus fish sauce (which is another aged product).

I make chutney at home and it also changes in flavour as it ages. I'll finish off the last bottle after a year and it will be fantastic, then make a new batch and it again only hits full maturity and best flavour when I am on the last bottle again. That is the injustice of homemade chutney. The closer you are to running out, the better it is.

The medium bottle of Lea & Perrins (284 ml vs. 291 ml for No Name & Great Value) goes on sale for $2.99 so you are torturing yourself over $.40 to $1.00. The big bottle which is twice that size (568 ml) is always around $6. The tiny 142 ml bottle is always 100% ripoff.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4381 posts
3910 upvotes
The real Lea and Perrins is on sale at Costco this week, 568 mL bottle for $4.39 (regular $5.89), price good thru Sunday 25 October. ]

Go stock up on the real stuff rather than settle for the knockoffs.
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.