None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
3000 posts
368 upvotes
Markham

how good is a tire repair kit

Just got a nail and bought a kit and trying to repair it. Is this a temp fix? Do I need to replace the whole tires?
22 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14039 posts
8130 upvotes
Toronto
dec12 wrote: Just got a nail and bought a kit and trying to repair it. Is this a temp fix? Do I need to replace the whole tires?
get it repaired properly at a shop
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5477 posts
2999 upvotes
Toronto
Its good. But ones the proper tire shop uses with a circle piece with protuding rubber that goes in the hole is better aince they remove your tires and work from inside.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1455 posts
506 upvotes
Ottawa
dec12 wrote: Just got a nail and bought a kit and trying to repair it. Is this a temp fix? Do I need to replace the whole tires?
If you do it properly it should outlast the tire.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2007 posts
657 upvotes
Markham
Even though those are "temp" fix, I have repaired my tire using those kits at the track....and continued on.
Not saying it is the proper way...but it was the only available at that time and at that moment....
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35630 posts
21687 upvotes
Center of Universe
About $25 for a patch and balance...bring it to a local indy shop.
Aug 12, 2014
199 posts
47 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Ive patched 2 tires with a kit and no issues. One car has had the patch for almost 2 years and 1 was just done last month.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9799 posts
4000 upvotes
Bah, I just use bubble gum. Doesn't seem to be an issue yet.

Seriously though, a patch kit is fine if done properly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
3000 posts
368 upvotes
Markham
Went ahead and did it. Check and there is no leak.

Should I be concern that the puncture is near the edge of tire? It's a Hankook tire, beads running along the side of the edge, the fixed is about a pencil width from these beads. The puncture is completely inside the rubber that will contact the pavement.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9799 posts
4000 upvotes
dec12 wrote: Went ahead and did it. Check and there is no leak.

Should I be concern that the puncture is near the edge of tire? It's a Hankook tire, beads running along the side of the outer wall, the fixed is about a pencil from these beads.
You don't want it too close to the edge. Got a pix?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5477 posts
2999 upvotes
Toronto
Well proper patch or insta patch, both methods do not recommend patching the sidewall because you need the pressure on the road to the tire for patch to not pop out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
3000 posts
368 upvotes
Markham

In each sliver, there is a square, with a dot in the middle. I would assume that is the cornering ability of this tire.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
3000 posts
368 upvotes
Markham
peteryorkuca wrote: Well proper patch or insta patch, both methods do not recommend patching the sidewall because you need the pressure on the road to the tire for patch to not pop out.
It's not on the sidewall but very close, at least I think it is, to the curving edge of the tire. The fixed puncture will come in full contact with the roads.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16190 posts
14240 upvotes
Richmond Hill
That's fine. It might be an issue if it was close to the shoulder.
Jun 22, 2014
409 posts
110 upvotes
Markham, ON
So, I have a tire repair kit which fills the inside with foam to block it.

I had a flat at work, and had to end up calling CAA to help out. Car doesn't come with a jack, and the idiot who swapped my winters put the hubcap back on at the wrong angle blocking the valve (I'm more of an idiot for not checking it).

So, CAA guy comes, and I show him what I needed, and he just straight up tells me to leave the nail in the tire, drive to a garage, and have them plug it. Reason he gave me was that the foam repair kit would throw off the balance, and it wouldn't even be a proper seal.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1699 posts
1414 upvotes
Biskuits wrote: Reason he gave me was that the foam repair kit would throw off the balance, and it wouldn't even be a proper seal.
Can also damage tire pressure sensors
Mar 4, 2013
569 posts
356 upvotes
dec12 wrote: Image

In each sliver, there is a square, with a dot in the middle. I would assume that is the cornering ability of this tire.
The shop might not repair this since it is too close to the sidewall according to the safety standard. They will probably ask you to buy a new tire.
Jun 10, 2008
468 posts
334 upvotes
Halton Hills
Hello. That repair will be fine. You should check for side wall damage from driving with low/no pressure. You can visually check for a worn out ring around the sidewall.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9799 posts
4000 upvotes
acheuk wrote: The shop might not repair this since it is too close to the sidewall according to the safety standard. They will probably ask you to buy a new tire.
That's not too close to the side, it is on the flat surface. If it was on the other side of those dots, they wouldn't patch it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5092 upvotes
ON
peteryorkuca wrote: Well proper patch or insta patch, both methods do not recommend patching the sidewall because you need the pressure on the road to the tire for patch to not pop out.
That's not how it works. They don't put a cork that can pop out if not held by "road pressure".
The sidewall flexes a lot and that leads to the patch delaminating and the hole leaking air in the best case scenario and the tire blowing out in the worst case.