Home & Garden

How to hang Christmas Lights around a window ?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2017 3:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1713 posts
1237 upvotes

How to hang Christmas Lights around a window ?

I will keep this brief.

I want to hand Christmas lights around each window at the front of my house. I'd like for the lights to be inside the house and essentially frame the window.

What's the best way to do this that doesn't:
- Require nail holes?
- Use some adhesive that will remove paint from the frame?

I am looking at a way to put the lights up, but also a way to remove them without holes, etc.

Ideas?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2806 upvotes
Use the 3M Command hooks (various sizes), available at Canadian Tire, e.g.: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/3m-ho ... p.html#srp

You can put other adhesive hooks or suction cups on the window itself, but in winter with the temperature cycling and moisture condensing on the window only a serious adhesive is likely to stick for long. You can get it off the glass later with a heat gun, solvent and scraper, but you might not want to go to that much effort.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11736 posts
6924 upvotes
Paris
When I was a kid living country we had 4 MONSTER 4' wide by 8' tall windows on the front of the house (that were cold as F as they were double sash windows but I digress) and Dad made 4 monster stars out of coat hangers and strung lights on them then hung them from fishing line by opening then closing the window on the line.

So make your shape out of something similar then suction hooks or command hooks on the drywall above and then... Profit?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12775 posts
7467 upvotes
Brampton
If youre ok to keep them year round you can use Those 5050 LED strips. Just stick em once and done theyre pretty inconspicuous from a decent distance away.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3670 posts
831 upvotes
Hamilton
I run plastic coated wire rope around the outside of the window and leave it up all year. Attach the Strand of lights right to the wire. I did the same around the garage door as well.