Students

How hard is Commerce (BAS) at York University?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2017 10:00 pm
Oct 12, 2016
1 posts

How hard is Commerce (BAS) at York University?

Hello, everyone!

I'm a mature student planning to go to York University for my second bachelor's degree (Bachelor of Commerce) next year in September (Fall 2017).

I've recently graduated from University of Toronto with an Honours Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology, but my GPA is very low (60s). I'd like to switch my fields and fresh start in Business.

I'd like to know how hard is York University? I mean, how hard are the assignments, exams, etc. at York University. Do they also have HARD markers at York University who mark essays/papers extremely hard? What's the format of questions of most exams (i.e. multiple choice, short answers, etc.)

In short, how hard is it to get an A at York University in their Commerce program (formerly known as Administrative Studies - BAS). I'm planning to study Accounting and Finance at York University.

Thank you.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
Congrats for deciding to go back to school.

It's difficult to convey the difficulty of a school; since everyone's experience is different. I also went to UofT and graduated with a laughable GPA; and now back to school again.

I think you'll be fine. Especially since it's your second time around, you'll take things way more seriously (go to extra help/office hours, not leave things to last minute, etc).

Good luck.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2015
1261 posts
1416 upvotes
Toronto, ON
No, it's York. Just keep updated with your readings and avoid the food court area at night. There's lots of goons there
Sep 29, 2008
965 posts
200 upvotes
Mississauga
It shouldn't be hard, I would imagine science at U of T is harder.
May 11, 2015
241 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
Your question is kind of irrational, words like easy and hard have little meaning. If you have poor work ethic and intend to cram most of the time, school will appear hard. If you do your assignments and engage in classes, your grades will be better and school will feel easier.
Oct 26, 2009
852 posts
365 upvotes
FrugalConsumer wrote: No, it's York. Just keep updated with your readings and avoid the food court area at night. There's lots of goons there
Please elaborate?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2012
2151 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto
I took a few classes at York and I found it enjoyable. Took 4th year accounting courses and found the marking scheme generous and the exams were very much like the problem questions in class. Of course a little more difficult but not something you wouldn't have seen in class.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2008
2095 posts
129 upvotes
North York
TalentedTom wrote: Your question is kind of irrational, words like easy and hard have little meaning. If you have poor work ethic and intend to cram most of the time, school will appear hard. If you do your assignments and engage in classes, your grades will be better and school will feel easier.
Thumb up.

OP, first off, congratulations on deciding to go back to school.

Since this is your second time around, you should already know how university works. How tough a program is, for the most part depends on the kind of student you are. Do your readings in advance or on time, engage in class discussions/with your prof/TA, and study- you should do well. York has good support for mature students so do take advantage of the group meetings and drop in sessions in the mature student office. Do you have a learning disability? If you do, go get the right support right away through academic advisors and counseling.

Some BAS courses will require strong math skills to get them A's so if you aren't particularly strong in math consider looking into options of getting extra help around campus like study groups or the peer tutoring programs like PASS http://bethune.yorku.ca/pass/

I knew people who didn't do well in the BAS program, a few who took 2+ years longer to finish, but I also knew people who did really well. It all came down to how serious they took their program. Those who had learning disabilities knew to get help right away. Those who struggled with mental illness was active in learning to recognize personal triggers and were on top of not letting them bog them down with their school work.

As a mature student, you might have to juggle family obligations and or your job so being on top of managing your time is important. I am sure you heard it all before, if you want a really good GPA, get organized with your time and make priorities on what to do first and what should get your attention more. I have friends who also went to U of T (@ St. George and Mississauga campus) for Psychology and with the exception of one who had a low 70s GPA, the rest did really well and are now in grad programs. They all pretty much confirmed that getting good grades really comes down to learning how to be a better student ie. developing good habits, learn with efficiency, show up and do the work.

All the best on your journey.
Aug 22, 2013
21 posts
2 upvotes
Windsor
Just wondering why you want to get a 2nd bachelor's degree and not an MBA or Master of Management at York, which will save you time and money than another bachelor's.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3376 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
I pretty much did exactly what OP is planning to do so I guess I will chime in.

You most likely won't have any electives due to transfer credits but basically any non-major courses are easy electives especially first year. I am being very generous but if you have proper studying ethics from your first bachelor there is no way you can get below a B (70+) in any of your courses in the first two year (referring to course levels, not your time spent at York)

Into your third year, now this is where it gets a bit more difficult depending on your major. I chose accounting so my marks actually tanked in third year since I didn't really get the concepts when they were first taught to me. The difficulty remains relatively steady into your 4th year. It does get challenging and you will need to study a bit if you want to maintain a decent GPA. There are a lot more serious students as you progress into your last two years since there are a lot of mature students taking the program too.

I did a BSc in biology before going to York, so I would say the BAS program was equally as hard as my first bachelor, You will need to put in effort to earn those grades in the upper years, but in the first year it should be very easy...

Before making this decision, make sure you know what you are doing too. Having two bachelors serves no advantage in the job market and will only help you if you are planning to pursue graduate studies and wanting a fresh start to get that 4.0 GPA. That was something I learned only after finishing the BAS program. There may also be better options for whatever you are planning to do, so I would do more research first before starting the B.Comm.