Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2163 posts
238 upvotes
Ottawa

How are Hotels/Motels Priced?

Some of my friends and family asked me to book them hotel/motel on a Toronto/Niagara Falls Trip and the prices I see are extremely high. Motels like Super 8 are $150 when I remember seeing them last year in the high $90 range. Also I noticed something fishy with Park Inn by Radisson. They do not serve complimentary breakfast. I checked the price with 4 adults and it gave me $157. When I changed it to 2 adults and 2 kids it gave me $139 for the exact same room. Why is that when there is no complimentary breakfast included anyways? Also is it best to wait till last minute to book hotel (will the price become cheaper) or book in advance?
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23556 posts
22508 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Easter thru Cdn Thanksgiving / Columbus Day is HIGH Season in Niagara Falls and roughly aligns with the dates the major water based attractions are open.

Consequently, prices are SIGNIFICANTLY higher then.

New Years & Valentines, and weekends closest to them are also higher priced than the rest of Fall & Winter.

And weekends in general (Friday, Saturday, Sunday Nights) more than the rest of the week.

Not all Hotels or Motels (NF or elsewhere) include all services with room rates.  Breakfast - Parking - Internet - Resort Fees are common extras in the biz (read up BEFORE you book).

I'm guessing the reason you found price differences were:

Two Adults with kids, was because of a kids stay free promo

Same room with 4 adults therefore would be more

Oftentimes one will see that a Room with one bed for 2 is more than a Room with 2 beds for 4

Doesn't make a lot of sense but it is how many hotels price their rooms.

Generally speaking, things in the travel world are best priced for early birds... As things fill up, prices increase.  To take full advantage book early, and check the cancellation clause.  Occasionally, prices will see a small dip / blip as the actual date gets closer... This is to fill up any unbooked rooms (although the price may not be as good as what an earlier booker paid).  IF it is better priced you can cancel & rebook... OR call the Hotel Front Desk* and they'll give you the same price... Sometimes even a shade lower.  So in our opinion, nothing to lose for watching & asking (in reality very few people watch prices after they've booked... Their loss)

* Hotel Front Desk has lots of power over Reservations & Cost. Deal with them directly if you have a dispute / issue. Don't call a chain's Central Reservations 1-800 Number.

Lastly, as a result of the US Recession in 2008, the bottom really fell out of the Hospitality / Travel Industry.  To compensate, prices froze.  And remained frozen for years.  It is only in the last year or two that the economy has gotten stronger & Americans are travelling again.  As such Hotels ave been raising their prices (some gradual / some all at once).  So where it was really common to find 3* Hotels under $ 100 just 2 years ago... They are now at $ 125 to $ 175.

And that is regular rates.

Add in a Tourist Destination like NF and HIGH Season, and prices are much beyond that (IMO now unusual to find any hotel room in NF under $ 200 in the Summer... Want one with a view to the falls, and it is more like $ 300+)

Ps... Join the Hotel's Loyalty Rogram, and book direct on the Hotel Website or by phone vs a 3rd Party Reseller. You can check 3rd Party Resellers to find the lowest price... But don't book wth them if you want to maximize your experience & perks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2163 posts
238 upvotes
Ottawa
PointsHubby wrote: Easter thru Cdn Thanksgiving / Columbus Day is HIGH Season in Niagara Falls and roughly aligns with the dates the major water based attractions are open.

Consequently, prices are SIGNIFICANTLY higher then.

New Years & Valentines, and weekends closest to them are also higher priced than the rest of Fall & Winter.

And weekends in general (Friday, Saturday, Sunday Nights) more than the rest of the week.

Not all Hotels or Motels (NF or elsewhere) include all services with room rates.  Breakfast - Parking - Internet - Resort Fees are common extras in the biz (read up BEFORE you book).

I'm guessing the reason you found price differences were:

Two Adults with kids, was because of a kids stay free promo

Same room with 4 adults therefore would be more

Oftentimes one will see that a Room with one bed for 2 is more than a Room with 2 beds for 4

Doesn't make a lot of sense but it is how many hotels price their rooms.

Generally speaking, things in the travel world are best priced for early birds... As things fill up, prices increase.  To take full advantage book early, and check the cancellation clause.  Occasionally, prices will see a small dip / blip as the actual date gets closer... This is to fill up any unbooked rooms (although the price may not be as good as what an earlier booker paid).  IF it is better priced you can cancel & rebook... OR call the Hotel Front Desk* and they'll give you the same price... Sometimes even a shade lower.  So in our opinion, nothing to lose for watching & asking (in reality very few people watch prices after they've booked... Their loss)

* Hotel Front Desk has lots of power over Reservations & Cost. Deal with them directly if you have a dispute / issue. Don't call a chain's Central Reservations 1-800 Number.

Lastly, as a result of the US Recession in 2008, the bottom really fell out of the Hospitality / Travel Industry.  To compensate, prices froze.  And remained frozen for years.  It is only in the last year or two that the economy has gotten stronger & Americans are travelling again.  As such Hotels ave been raising their prices (some gradual / some all at once).  So where it was really common to find 3* Hotels under $ 100 just 2 years ago... They are now at $ 125 to $ 175.

And that is regular rates.

Add in a Tourist Destination like NF and HIGH Season, and prices are much beyond that (IMO now unusual to find any hotel room in NF under $ 200 in the Summer... Want one with a view to the falls, and it is more like $ 300+)

Ps... Join the Hotel's Loyalty Rogram, and book direct on the Hotel Website or by phone vs a 3rd Party Reseller. You can check 3rd Party Resellers to find the lowest price... But don't book wth them if you want to maximize your experience & perks.
Thanks for the informative post. Is there any con to booking it as 2 adults and 2 children ages 17 instead of saying 4 adults to get the cheaper rate? The youngest 2 adults are 18 and 21. They will be checking into a hotel/motel that consists of about 50 rooms.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2727 posts
1989 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
masoud100 wrote: Thanks for the informative post. Is there any con to booking it as 2 adults and 2 children ages 17 instead of saying 4 adults to get the cheaper rate? The youngest 2 adults are 18 and 21. They will be checking into a hotel/motel that consists of about 50 rooms.
When you put in 4 adults the hotel has to legally provide adequate places for everyone to sleep. For children a sofa bed or 2 cots could be considered adequate.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1290 posts
475 upvotes
Not sure how close you need to be to attractions, but a little thing I've learned is that for weekend stays, a good choice is a hotel in a corporate area.
I was just on a little jaunt to NY and chose a nice Marriott in a business park that was 25% less than the hotels near attractions.
However, I'm sure NF may not have such a thing. All depends on your needs.
Wow I just looked up NF for Labour Day wknd. Even the cheapie motels are $170!
Good luck!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23556 posts
22508 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
BrunetteGirl wrote: When you put in 4 adults the hotel has to legally provide adequate places for everyone to sleep. For children a sofa bed or 2 cots could be considered adequate.
This.

Plus the other side of the legal equation... Your personal protection in case of an emergency situation.

In the event of say a fire, you might not be eligible for any legal / insurance compensation cause you lied on the "contract" stating 2 Adults & 2 Kids vs 4 Adults.

Best policy... Just tell the truth.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2163 posts
238 upvotes
Ottawa
BrunetteGirl wrote: When you put in 4 adults the hotel has to legally provide adequate places for everyone to sleep. For children a sofa bed or 2 cots could be considered adequate.
However when booking a room I select 2 Queen beds so I expect to get 2 queen beds for the price I have selected. I never knew that they would differentiate between kids, and adults. I think that family would rather save that $20 plus tax selecting as 2 youths. I have seen some people have 8 in 1 room while declaring only 4. As long as they dont have a problem sleeping on the floors, etc I say its all good.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2727 posts
1989 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
masoud100 wrote: However when booking a room I select 2 Queen beds so I expect to get 2 queen beds for the price I have selected. I never knew that they would differentiate between kids, and adults. I think that family would rather save that $20 plus tax selecting as 2 youths. I have seen some people have 8 in 1 room while declaring only 4. As long as they dont have a problem sleeping on the floors, etc I say its all good.
Take it from someone who works in the travel industry. Bedding types are never guaranteed. If the hotel has to suddenly put rooms out of order and are short on "2 queen beds" like you selected and there is (for example) 2 adults listed in the room you can absolutely end up with a king bed without any legal reprocussions. As long as "adequate bedding is provided" the hotel is protected.

There are times and places to "save money" this is not one of them.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9087 posts
3697 upvotes
Toronto
BrunetteGirl wrote: Take it from someone who works in the travel industry. Bedding types are never guaranteed. If the hotel has to suddenly put rooms out of order and are short on "2 queen beds" like you selected and there is (for example) 2 adults listed in the room you can absolutely end up with a king bed without any legal reprocussions. As long as "adequate bedding is provided" the hotel is protected.

There are times and places to "save money" this is not one of them.
+1

We have booked a certain bed type, but at check-in they don't have such rooms. Sometimes people decide to stay longer. Sometimes a certain bed type room becomes available (damaged, bedbug, acts of god, etc.) If you need beds for 4 adults, better put 4 adults.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)