Home & Garden

How I can keep field mice out of bbq (cover)

• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2020 11:37 am
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 5, 2009
909 posts
221 upvotes

How I can keep field mice out of bbq (cover)

I have a Weber bbq, genesis 310 with doors... I notice mouse droppings on the shelves when I take the costco cover off... I feel I could set traps underneath but it would be a never ending battle... moth balls? Any ideas? Etobicoke, toronto area, not a farm area, btw
14 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15690 posts
16841 upvotes
Oakville
stansoltz wrote: I have a Weber bbq, genesis 310 with doors... I notice mouse droppings on the shelves when I take the costco cover off... I feel I could set traps underneath but it would be a never ending battle... moth balls? Any ideas? Etobicoke, toronto area, not a farm area, btw
Turn it on :P

Or just leave the cover off.
Jan 28, 2006
146 posts
63 upvotes
I sprinkled chilli powder and it seemed to do the trick
Aug 4, 2006
609 posts
270 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
engineered wrote: Turn it on :P

Or just leave the cover off.
Mice like to nest inside my BBQ over the winter (I'm not using any coverings) . It doesn't help that my bird feeder is just a few feet away. Makes for a nice place to stay - close to food.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15690 posts
16841 upvotes
Oakville
2flags wrote: Mice like to nest inside my BBQ over the winter (I'm not using any coverings) . It doesn't help that my bird feeder is just a few feet away. Makes for a nice place to stay - close to food.
Yea, I had a few mouse droppings when I took the cover off this spring. Just cleaned it up and turned the BBQ burners way up to sterilize it. Also be sure to clean up when done and not leave any food residue on the side tables or grills.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1374 posts
445 upvotes
Oakville
stansoltz wrote: I have a Weber bbq, genesis 310 with doors... I notice mouse droppings on the shelves when I take the costco cover off... I feel I could set traps underneath but it would be a never ending battle... moth balls? Any ideas? Etobicoke, toronto area, not a farm area, btw
Does your cover have a felt liner inside? Mice use the liner to climb up, they can jump pretty high too (2-3 ft!, I have/had video). I ditched my quality BBQ cover for a cheapo Wal-Mart one. We'll see how it goes this season.

engineered wrote: Yea, I had a few mouse droppings when I took the cover off this spring. Just cleaned it up and turned the BBQ burners way up to sterilize it. Also be sure to clean up when done and not leave any food residue on the side tables or grills.
My Weber has a grease tray that probably attracts them but I don't want to be cleaning it every time I BBQ. My previous BBQ had no such tray and no problems with mice.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15690 posts
16841 upvotes
Oakville
RETD wrote: Does your cover have a felt liner inside? Mice use the liner to climb up, they can jump pretty high too (2-3 ft!, I have/had video). I ditched my quality BBQ cover for a cheapo Wal-Mart one. We'll see how it goes this season.

My Weber has a grease tray that probably attracts them but I don't want to be cleaning it every time I BBQ. My previous BBQ had no such tray and no problems with mice.
I might still set a couple traps under the BBQ in case any come snooping around. I think they're less likely to come with the cover off, since it won't be as dark, dry and warm without it.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1285 posts
562 upvotes
Glue traps at the bottom do the trick. Just make sure to check weekly when it gets hot outside.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Sep 7, 2018
815 posts
844 upvotes
Had this problem over the winter on my Weber Summit, after being grossed out, cleaning it and cranking it up to 700C to burn everything to ash, I think I have a solution. I have a nice thick cover on it but it allows for mice to climb the underside and enter through the propane hose access hole. So what I did was cover like normal and wrap a ratcheting tow strap around the base, ensuring it overlaps the bbq cover and then ratcheting it down as much as I can, I've checked it periodically and no more droppings which would indicate their presence (they were all over it previously).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9352 posts
3047 upvotes
Had this problem as well with my Weber E 310, droppings on the side and bottom shelves. Key is to keep it clean, wipe it down after use. Added a bit of peppermint oil around the drip tray. So far so good.
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5026 posts
2463 upvotes
Ottawa
Mouse traps inside the cabinet or other enclosed part of the bbq. It doesn't take long to take a bite out of the population that is gravitating to your bbq. I refuse to use glue traps.
[OP]
Apr 5, 2009
909 posts
221 upvotes
A single mothball has been working great for the last year. Where do u buy peppermint oil?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5776 posts
2939 upvotes
Thornhill
A small container of cloves at the base of the bbq or on the inside has worked wonders.
Sep 7, 2018
815 posts
844 upvotes
stansoltz wrote: A single mothball has been working great for the last year. Where do u buy peppermint oil?
I bought it on aliexpress
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4575 upvotes
Alberta
RETD wrote:
On my Weber I line the aluminum insert tray with aluminum foil. Wrap it up and throw the grease/dripping after each use. Sure the inserts are cheap but so am I lol. Never had a single mouse issue yet.