Computers & Electronics

How important is wide colour gamut?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2020 3:11 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jan 3, 2017
153 posts
184 upvotes

How important is wide colour gamut?

So I’m deciding on buying a TV - one has wide colour gamut and the other doesn’t. On paper, I can see the coverage of colours is much better and some reads out there say it’s good for HDR but how much does it matter?

Will you truly notice the difference if they’re not side by side? Is that extra bit of vibrance worth it (for about $100 more)?

And lastly, can quantum dot technology compensate for not having wide colour gamut?

Thanks folks!
23 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 16, 2001
15718 posts
2344 upvotes
What are the models you're looking at?
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5761 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a big tv recently. I bought into store clerk recommendations. Paid like $400 extra for brighter, more vibrant, higher fps and da da da ....

Most of time I keep the the brightness around 30%. HDR10 is a joke too - even with Disney+ most content is not true HDR. The higher frames is insanely bad for movies, completely ruins it.

Noise reduction is same, but I keep digital noise reduction at "low" and that is acceptable.

by no means - I am a big tv watcher but I still notice all these little things.

Only features I think worth it:
- True black background (its noticeable when part of it goes true black - "zones" as they call it). I think currently only Panasonic gives dot level full blacks
- Thin Bezel
- View from angles

I am not a big fan of "smart" tv but mine has an android built into it - I think it is acceptable because it can keep up with apps. Panasonic UI is probably the best, but I am not sure how often they update / make new options available.

Personally, My new philosphy is: I will get mid-tier cheap-ish tv and change it every 3-5 years than buy an expensive one and run it 10+ years
For Sale:
  • Powerful Constant Lights for Events / Photography
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28380 posts
8821 upvotes
TBH it's not really that important. The thing is most better TVs will have it anyway so having it is usually a good thing because the TV will have other, more noticeable, improvements that make it better.

As mentioned not all movies (speaking of 4K UHD BD) have colours that reach into the "WCG" range of colours; furthermore some that offer things like 4K and HDR to begin with are "fake" as the poster above mentions. Here is more information on WCG:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture ... rison_4771
Here is more information on what content actually gets into WCG range:


I look for WCG on TVs not so much because I'm actually going to see or notice the better colour capability but because it often indicates a better panel, processing, and overall TV, which all make for a better TV for reasons other than simply "supporting a wide colour gamut".

Almost all TVs employing a quantum dot filter also have WCG. There are a few exceptions with some Canada-only Hisense models (Q7809, upcoming Q7G) which I suspect isn't a panel limitation but a processing/firmware limitation to make an imaginary market point of TV--e.g. Q7809 positioned below Q8809 for this very reasoning. Other lower-cost QD TVs, like Vizio M6, all have WCG I believe. Similarly, more expensive but "lower end" Samsung Q-series offerings like Q50R and Q60T also have WCG. What other models are you seeing that have QD but not WCG?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18865 posts
4955 upvotes
Toronto
It makes a pretty noticeable difference, but basically all the better HDR TVs have true wide gamut support.

In 2020, I wouldn't buy a primary TV without proper HDR and WCG support.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jan 3, 2017
153 posts
184 upvotes
JAC wrote: What are the models you're looking at?
Hissense H8G (H98809) 2019 OR Hisense Q7G (2020) which does not have WCG

The only reason I do not have the Q8G on here is that Costco is not going to be selling it and if I'm buying a TV, I want that 5 year warranty lol
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jan 3, 2017
153 posts
184 upvotes
Your comment is spot on!

So my whole dilemma is mainly the fact that Costco will not be selling the Q8G. That is the model I have been fixed on given all the amazing reviews it has gotten so far...

But if I'm getting ANY tv, I want a 5 year warranty to back it up. Especially with QC these days...

As you pointed out, that is exactly why I am looking in the Q7G because its IDENTICAL to the Q8G apart from WCG...everything else is the same. And most importantly, Costco will be selling this model lol so I need to decide to buy the Q7G with Costco or I also could go for the H8809 (H8F) but that has known panel issues despite having WCG. That or I can order the Q8G from another retailer, but I just do not trust other warranty systems...thoughts?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28380 posts
8821 upvotes
Inter01fan wrote: Hissense H8G (H98809) 2019 OR Hisense Q7G (2020) which does not have WCG
H98809 must be a typo? The H8809 is the H8F, and it does have WCG. The H8G will be called Q8G in Canada.
Inter01fan wrote: The only reason I do not have the Q8G on here is that Costco is not going to be selling it and if I'm buying a TV, I want that 5 year warranty lol
Inter01fan wrote: Your comment is spot on!

So my whole dilemma is mainly the fact that Costco will not be selling the Q8G. That is the model I have been fixed on given all the amazing reviews it has gotten so far...

But if I'm getting ANY tv, I want a 5 year warranty to back it up. Especially with QC these days...

As you pointed out, that is exactly why I am looking in the Q7G because its IDENTICAL to the Q8G apart from WCG...everything else is the same. And most importantly, Costco will be selling this model lol so I need to decide to buy the Q7G with Costco or I also could go for the H8809 (H8F) but that has known panel issues despite having WCG. That or I can order the Q8G from another retailer, but I just do not trust other warranty systems...thoughts?
Yes the Q7G is as you say, a Canada-only model that is a Q8G (H8G US) without WCG support. I again suspect this is a firmware limitation and one can probably put the Q8G FW on the Q7G, given it seems this is possible on the Q7809 with Q8809 firmware. However I'm not sure if this "enables" WCG as it's not something you'd likely be able to notice and would require test instruments to see if it did. And with that note is should tell you just how important it is--if it's not something you'll be able to obviously see with your eyes, it is really a huge difference?

BTW how did you come across the info that the Q7G would be offered at Costco and not the Q8G? Did you just ask them?

What are the "known panel issues" with the H8809/H8G? Are you just talking about the motion performance/response time? Not really a "panel issue" but yes it has been measured to have slower than average response time, but again how much that affects you depends on what you watch and how sensitive you are to it. Personally I don't find a big problem with the H8F but maybe that's me or maybe they actually used some better panels later in the production run, can't really be sure.

Anyway given the G/2020 models are soon to be available it's better for you to buy one of them. I honestly wouldn't worry about the WCG difference with the Q7G, I doubt you'd see a difference with the sets side by side.

As a side note there are no worthwhile reviews on the H8G yet--the ones out there are just "layperson" reviews with little in the way of tests. However FOMO has his hands on one now and just did the unboxing" with the next review to come shortly:
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 31, 2009
1542 posts
465 upvotes
Have you looked into the TCL brand of tvs. They are super cheap but are also pretty well reviewed and include Dolby Vision in some models. I know the AVSForums Ralph Potts uses TCL tv along with his JVC NX7 projector for his movie reviews. Mostly uses the projector but he also uses the tv for evaluating the Dolby Vision video since we can’t get that on any home projector

Can also get them on Amazon and Best Buy
[external link removed]
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jan 3, 2017
153 posts
184 upvotes
Invader Gir wrote: Have you looked into the TCL brand of tvs. They are super cheap but are also pretty well reviewed and include Dolby Vision in some models. I know the AVSForums Ralph Potts uses TCL tv along with his JVC NX7 projector for his movie reviews. Mostly uses the projector but he also uses the tv for evaluating the Dolby Vision video since we can’t get that on any home projector

Can also get them on Amazon and Best Buy
Yeah TCL is fantastic but I think their shipment is going to be really delayed for their 2020 stock with COVID...and I was hoping to pick up a tv within the next couple months
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jan 3, 2017
153 posts
184 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: H98809 must be a typo? The H8809 is the H8F, and it does have WCG. The H8G will be called Q8G in Canada.



Yes the Q7G is as you say, a Canada-only model that is a Q8G (H8G US) without WCG support. I again suspect this is a firmware limitation and one can probably put the Q8G FW on the Q7G, given it seems this is possible on the Q7809 with Q8809 firmware. However I'm not sure if this "enables" WCG as it's not something you'd likely be able to notice and would require test instruments to see if it did. And with that note is should tell you just how important it is--if it's not something you'll be able to obviously see with your eyes, it is really a huge difference?

BTW how did you come across the info that the Q7G would be offered at Costco and not the Q8G? Did you just ask them?

What are the "known panel issues" with the H8809/H8G? Are you just talking about the motion performance/response time? Not really a "panel issue" but yes it has been measured to have slower than average response time, but again how much that affects you depends on what you watch and how sensitive you are to it. Personally I don't find a big problem with the H8F but maybe that's me or maybe they actually used some better panels later in the production run, can't really be sure.

Anyway given the G/2020 models are soon to be available it's better for you to buy one of them. I honestly wouldn't worry about the WCG difference with the Q7G, I doubt you'd see a difference with the sets side by side.

As a side note there are no worthwhile reviews on the H8G yet--the ones out there are just "layperson" reviews with little in the way of tests. However FOMO has his hands on one now and just did the unboxing" with the next review to come shortly:
Thanks for the follow up!

I actually did mean the H8F haha because I was considering whether the H8F might be better than the Q7G as it had wide colour gamut.

Essentially, my choice was: Q7G/H8F (at Costco) OR Q8G at another retailer and risk not having good warranty

And regarding the stock, yup, I called up Costco and they said they do not plan to Stock Q8G, just the Q7G and Q9G which is a total bummer!

In terms of reviews, I saw a couple good ones from:

(Joelster)
(Andrew Robinson)

I saw the one from FOMO this morning so I'm very excited to see his follow up full review! But given how the Q8G is going to fix the few issues the H8F had (as you said), I'm super excited at its possibility of being the King Budget TV. It's either going to be that or the TCL 5 Series (Since the new 6 series will be competing with the H9G)

So you would opt to get the Q7G from Costco and not the Q8G from another retailer (not sure how you are on the topic of warranties) haha?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2947 upvotes
Wider gamut is almost always associated with better colors for SDR and HDR, on rtings.com. If you read the reviews for same model but different years and one is wider gamut you'll see the scores are higher and it is mentioned in the reviews.

If it's a budget tv then dont worry about it, it isnt like you'll really get dolby plus or hdr+ for something under close to $600.

And H9F is the one everyone is waiting for. It's widely available in the USA, and is the leading top budget tv with the best performance for the price since it came out.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28380 posts
8821 upvotes
Inter01fan wrote: Thanks for the follow up!

I actually did mean the H8F haha because I was considering whether the H8F might be better than the Q7G as it had wide colour gamut.

Essentially, my choice was: Q7G/H8F (at Costco) OR Q8G at another retailer and risk not having good warranty

And regarding the stock, yup, I called up Costco and they said they do not plan to Stock Q8G, just the Q7G and Q9G which is a total bummer!
Ah I see. Did they say when they expect the Q7G in?
Inter01fan wrote: In terms of reviews, I saw a couple good ones from:

(Joelster)
(Andrew Robinson)
Didn't see the Joelster one but the Andrew Robinson one is one of the exactly "fluff" reviews I'm talking about haha.

I saw the one from FOMO this morning so I'm very excited to see his follow up full review! But given how the Q8G is going to fix the few issues the H8F had (as you said), I'm super excited at its possibility of being the King Budget TV. It's either going to be that or the TCL 5 Series (Since the new 6 series will be competing with the H9G)[/quote]
It remains to be seen if TCL will sell the "2020" 5-series here as TCL skipped it in Canada for 2019...well actually they never sold the 2019 6-series here either but they kept selling the older one whereas the 5 disappeared completely. Hopefully the 2020 8-series (Viridian) will land here 'cause we don't get the current 8 either! It also remains to be seen what exactly the new 5-series will offer. It is confirmed it will have the QD filter but no word on local dimming or whether it will be any brighter than the 2019--seems doubtful either of these will be added.

For current models, it goes like this:
Q825 = H9F/Q9809 > R62x > R61x > H8F/H8809 >> S525
And really the 6-series sets don't have a huge advantage over the H8F apart from brightness. The 8-series though miniLED doesn't have any very big advantages over the H9F either; it gets a little brighter sure but the LD is actually rated better on the H9F, the tens of thousands of zones on the 8-series notwithstanding.

The 2020 6-series will have miniLED so it will up the ante quite a bit and most likely topple the H9G if the new 6 also has a 120Hz panel and if they improved the LD algorithm from the Q825. Hisense's potential trump card is the XD9G though which, well has a lot of potential. Anyway the higher end TCL, Hisense pricing gets up into Sony territory anyway so we're not talking "budget TV" at that point either. XD9G will be Hisense's most expensive yet and likely cost as much as Samsung Q80.
Inter01fan wrote: So you would opt to get the Q7G from Costco and not the Q8G from another retailer (not sure how you are on the topic of warranties) haha?
Personally I'd just go with whatever is the best deal. I'm honestly not that concerned with warranty (I didn't get any extended on either my TCL or Hisense sets as they were both bought in USA anyway) so if Costco has it at a good price I'd be fine to forgo the alleged difference of WCG and possibly steal fw from the Q8G down the road lol. That said if I did buy at Costco I would get the warranty just because it's cheap and 5yrs so it's not really a huge deal to get it.

But the way I think of it is like this. For me this isn't a main TV, it's a "cheap" other-room TV that won't get much use anyway. I paid, after tax and everything, just over $500 CAD for my 55H8F. To me that's a heck of a bargain compared to other TVs I've bought in the past and for the performance it provides. If the TV has a problem in a few years, if it's a cheap fix, I'll probably fix it myself. If it's a big failure, oh well I guess lesson learned and not too much money spent...relatively speaking.

With the Costco warranty there's the added benefit of that big failure basically turning into a new TV for almost free, which is admittedly nice. However with a TV that's not a primary, won't see a ton of use, it's both less likely to fail and less important if it does fail. As a main TV, if it breaks...well most people will want to repair or replace it pretty quickly. So for me Costco warranty was nice, but not a dealbreaker to not have it. All I got on my H8F is 1yr and if it breaks in that period I have to take it to the US to fix it at that, lol. So obviously warranty isn't a huge concern to me, but YMMV.

Also even the newer features and slight improvements with the H8G, I'm really not concerned about those things as I doubt the same-size unit will be available at a similar price until BF or later, when the new-model pricing wears off and big sales happen. And what I did spend on the H8F was probably as much as I was willing to spend anyway (my original goal was to get the 50H8F at $300 USD or less but the 50" stopped going on sale while the 55" continued to have sales, so I ended up with that at $350).

For people buying right now though, of course I'd recommend they "might as well" get the new model esp. when it doesn't look like the H8809 is gonna go on any good clearance deals here as it's seemingly just disappearing from store inventory instead as it has obviously ended production. But, unless you wait, you are gonna have to pay the "new model premium still".
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28380 posts
8821 upvotes
badOne wrote: And H9F is the one everyone is waiting for. It's widely available in the USA, and is the leading top budget tv with the best performance for the price since it came out.
??? H9F (called Q9809 here) has long been available in Canada as well and is basically on clearance now. H9G (Q9G in Canada) will be out soon.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jan 3, 2017
153 posts
184 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
For current models, it goes like this:
Q825 = H9F/Q9809 > R62x > R61x > H8F/H8809 >> S525
And really the 6-series sets don't have a huge advantage over the H8F apart from brightness. The 8-series though miniLED doesn't have any very big advantages over the H9F either; it gets a little brighter sure but the LD is actually rated better on the H9F, the tens of thousands of zones on the 8-series notwithstanding.


For people buying right now though, of course I'd recommend they "might as well" get the new model esp. when it doesn't look like the H8809 is gonna go on any good clearance deals here as it's seemingly just disappearing from store inventory instead as it has obviously ended production. But, unless you wait, you are gonna have to pay the "new model premium still".
They didn't give me an estimate on when they would start to ship.

And the thing is, this is going to be my main tv. One thing I've come to realize is, most people cant visually tell the differences for some of the details bigger and more knowledgeable reviewers provide so as long as I see some verification of quality and good picture - I'm good with that. That being said, I obviously still want to get the best bang for what I'm spending. Since this will be my main tv, the warranty is pretty important for me and with Costco, I can cycle through a new tv every 5 years (at least until they stop using this warranty system lol). That's why I'm left torn at the moment but am leaning towards Costco vs other retailers lol.

But I'm not sure I agree with that ranking as the R series looks more budget that the H8F to me...especially considering the new RG series is out and the H8F has better specs. And the Q8G is certainly better than the RG series. Why did you rank them like that? That thew me off
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 16, 2010
6584 posts
3657 upvotes
Aurora
PrinceMS wrote: Most of time I keep the the brightness around 30%. HDR10 is a joke too - even with Disney+ most content is not true HDR. The higher frames is insanely bad for movies, completely ruins it.
That's the Motion Smoothing adjustment where the TV inserts extra frames between the "real" frames in an attempt to display smoother movement. If you haven't already, you should turn it off.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28380 posts
8821 upvotes
Inter01fan wrote: They didn't give me an estimate on when they would start to ship.

And the thing is, this is going to be my main tv. One thing I've come to realize is, most people cant visually tell the differences for some of the details bigger and more knowledgeable reviewers provide so as long as I see some verification of quality and good picture - I'm good with that. That being said, I obviously still want to get the best bang for what I'm spending. Since this will be my main tv, the warranty is pretty important for me and with Costco, I can cycle through a new tv every 5 years (at least until they stop using this warranty system lol). That's why I'm left torn at the moment but am leaning towards Costco vs other retailers lol.
Yes in your case I would just stick with Costco, get the good return period so you can rest assured you'll be satisfied with what you buy, and get the well-priced extended warranty so you'll have the peace of mind for the long term :) As long as it's a half-decent price, just pickup the 55Q8G 55Q7G when it shows up I'd say. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

Out of curiosity what is the main type(s) of content you view?
Inter01fan wrote: But I'm not sure I agree with that ranking as the R series looks more budget that the H8F to me...especially considering the new RG series is out and the H8F has better specs. And the Q8G is certainly better than the RG series. Why did you rank them like that? That thew me off
Oh, for clarification, those "R" sets weren't Hisense I was talking about they were TCL. The R for Hisense indicates Roku-based, and yes they are all lower-end than the H8s and above. In the lower models H doesn't automatically mean it's higher-end than R though because then it might just be that the set is Android or VIDAA based. It's just that they don't make any higher-end Roku sets. The R8F is probably the only exception and that is basically an H8F but with Roku instead of Android. Funny thing is that set actually sells for more than the H8F because of how many sales/deals there were on the the H8Fs in US in the past few months. Anyway to clarify that statement should have read like this:

TCL Q825 = Hisense H9F/Q9809 > TCL R62x > TCL R61x > Hisense H8F/H8809 >> TCL S525

Hopefully makes more sense now.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jan 3, 2017
153 posts
184 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Yes in your case I would just stick with Costco, get the good return period so you can rest assured you'll be satisfied with what you buy, and get the well-priced extended warranty so you'll have the peace of mind for the long term :) As long as it's a half-decent price, just pickup the 55Q8G 55Q7G when it shows up I'd say. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

Out of curiosity what is the main type(s) of content you view?


Oh, for clarification, those "R" sets weren't Hisense I was talking about they were TCL. The R for Hisense indicates Roku-based, and yes they are all lower-end than the H8s and above. In the lower models H doesn't automatically mean it's higher-end than R though because then it might just be that the set is Android or VIDAA based. It's just that they don't make any higher-end Roku sets. The R8F is probably the only exception and that is basically an H8F but with Roku instead of Android. Funny thing is that set actually sells for more than the H8F because of how many sales/deals there were on the the H8Fs in US in the past few months. Anyway to clarify that statement should have read like this:

TCL Q825 = Hisense H9F/Q9809 > TCL R62x > TCL R61x > Hisense H8F/H8809 >> TCL S525

Hopefully makes more sense now.

OH - I gotcha now. Thanks for clarifying that up!

I'm a pretty mixed bag of viewership. I watch a lot of soccer but a good chunk of movies and tv shows too. Minimal gaming though - the only game would be FIFA which is not demanding at all.

ON a side note - Costco just released stock on a BUNCH of 2019 Hisense models. The H9F was released which is tempting but its 1k...I'm still leaning on waiting for the H7G release as I think that will be around 700/750 - thoughts?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28380 posts
8821 upvotes
Inter01fan wrote: OH - I gotcha now. Thanks for clarifying that up!

I'm a pretty mixed bag of viewership. I watch a lot of soccer but a good chunk of movies and tv shows too. Minimal gaming though - the only game would be FIFA which is not demanding at all.

ON a side note - Costco just released stock on a BUNCH of 2019 Hisense models. The H9F was released which is tempting but its 1k...I'm still leaning on waiting for the H7G release as I think that will be around 700/750 - thoughts?
Oh yeah I just checked that out, there's a whole bunch you're right. Including pre-orders for the Q7Gs! It's $640 for the pre-order on the 55". Not spectacular, not terrible either though.

The Q9809 (H9F) is an excellent set, very high rated, and it's higher-end than all these we've been talking about and the price is a good indicator. As good as the set is though...I would have to note that you can get a Sony 55X900F these days for $1100 and might even be able to get one for the same $1000...which makes the Hisense slightly less attractive. The performance of the two is very similar but on the one hand you're getting a 1st-tier brand backed by Sony and OTOH you're getting a Hisense. Obviously I'm not biased against Hisense as I own one too, but at such a small price difference I'd be buying the Sony. If the Hisense were $800 though, it might be a different story.

Looks like they have the Q9G up for pre-order as well, but that one is $1200, so basically a whole other budget category at that point.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 31, 2009
1542 posts
465 upvotes
I have that exact TV in my room. It produces a very nice picture but has a few quirks that go along with it. Only HDMI 2&3 offer the WCG option and it isn’t a simple plug and go. You must enable it as a function in the system video menu on the tv. A simple feature like that should be an automatic enabled action when you plug in an HDMI cable. Plus a small hiccup enabling Dolby Vision to play on my Xbox One X system while going through my Marantz sr7010 receiver with newest Dolby Vision enable firmware. So it could be more likely a handshake issue with the receiver more than the tv being slightly older tech.
[external link removed]

Top