• May 21st, 2021 7:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1123 posts
16 upvotes

How to increase my laptop download speed

Hi to all computer guru

I just upgrade my Internet to Telus fiber optics 300mbps. My laptop is a HP Win 10 laptop. What should I do to make my latop to achieve at the speed of at least 150 mbps via wifi ?

Please kindly advise.

Many thanks in advance.
Trade with me 100% confidence and my feedback on RedFlagDeals, eBay and Revscene.net :

Feedback on RedFlagDeals.com

Feedback on EBay.com

REVScene Feedback Ratings
10 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15970 posts
2580 upvotes
Replace the WiFI card?
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4102 posts
1242 upvotes
Going to need more info. What's the model of the laptop you're using? Also what is your wifi network set up right now? Which router are you using for your wifi?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1123 posts
16 upvotes
coilz wrote: Going to need more info. What's the model of the laptop you're using? Also what is your wifi network set up right now? Which router are you using for your wifi?
I am currently using HP Elitebook Folio 9480M. Using Telus Internet 300Mbps and connection via intel dual band wireless ac-7260 wireless card. Using Arcadyan Telus Wif-Hub Router.
Trade with me 100% confidence and my feedback on RedFlagDeals, eBay and Revscene.net :

Feedback on RedFlagDeals.com

Feedback on EBay.com

REVScene Feedback Ratings
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4102 posts
1242 upvotes
gomcse2002 wrote: I am currently using HP Elitebook Folio 9480M. Using Telus Internet 300Mbps and connection via intel dual band wireless ac-7260 wireless card. Using Arcadyan Telus Wif-Hub Router.
Might have to look at it from the router end, since I believe the current wireless card in your laptop is as updated as it can go. There might be other AC level cards but most likely your laptop is locked to a whitelist of wifi card thats set by HP. They do that alot with their business laptops which I think the Elitebook Folio is.

I would try seeing how fast the your true connection is first by hardwire directly into the Telus router. Use Speedtest website to test. Then connect to it in wifi while being right next to the router so see what your optimal wifi speed is. Perhaps it'll be as easy as relocating your router to get better signal.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5101 posts
2006 upvotes
Check your WiFi NIC to see what is it
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15970 posts
2580 upvotes
coilz wrote: Might have to look at it from the router end, since I believe the current wireless card in your laptop is as updated as it can go. There might be other AC level cards but most likely your laptop is locked to a whitelist of wifi card thats set by HP. They do that alot with their business laptops which I think the Elitebook Folio is.

I would try seeing how fast the your true connection is first by hardwire directly into the Telus router. Use Speedtest website to test. Then connect to it in wifi while being right next to the router so see what your optimal wifi speed is. Perhaps it'll be as easy as relocating your router to get better signal.
Based on this thread, he should be OK to put in a new WIFI card.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook- ... -p/7824636
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1115 posts
736 upvotes
Canada
gomcse2002 wrote: I am currently using HP Elitebook Folio 9480M. Using Telus Internet 300Mbps and connection via intel dual band wireless ac-7260 wireless card. Using Arcadyan Telus Wif-Hub Router.
Acording to the spec, your Intel Dual Band Wireless- N 7260 is N and not AC.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2208 posts
1077 upvotes
Saint John
gomcse2002 wrote: Hi to all computer guru

I just upgrade my Internet to Telus fiber optics 300mbps. My laptop is a HP Win 10 laptop. What should I do to make my latop to achieve at the speed of at least 150 mbps via wifi ?

Please kindly advise.

Many thanks in advance.
You shouldn't really have trouble hitting 150mbps with your current configuration. Assuming that your wifi card is the AC-7260 and that your router supports 5GHz AC, you just need to connect on the 5GHz band (not 2.4GHz) and test it. As someone mentioned, go close to your router and use speedtest.net while connected to 5GHz and report back with your result.

If you're having trouble connecting to 5GHz, you should be able to log into your router and check to see that it's broadcasting a signal on that band. Try changing your SSIDs (i.e. wifi network's name) to something different for 2.4GHz and 5GHz (e.g. myWifi5 and myWifi24). That way you can ensure that you're connecting on the optimal frequency.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4102 posts
1242 upvotes
JAC wrote: Based on this thread, he should be OK to put in a new WIFI card.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook- ... -p/7824636
That thread is about the HP Pavillion X360 , OP has Elitebook Folio :( There's a possibility that it might not have a whitelist. Conflicting info when googling. Won't know till you actually plug a new card in and start it up unfortunately :(
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2208 posts
1077 upvotes
Saint John
I feel like I should add that swapping out the wifi card as some are suggesting (if this is even possible) is likely to have little to no benefit unless OP also upgrades to a wifi 6 router. The Telus WiFi Hub supports "WiFi 2.4 & 5 GHz b/g/n/ac" according to the scant info that's available about it.

OP's best route forward is to do some investigation, as the current hardware should be more than capable of 150 mbps. This is probably a software/firmware issue. My first guess is that the laptop is defaulting to 2.4GHz wireless N (not 5GHz AC), which tends to max out around ~100 mbps.

My Thinkpad connects to my 7-year-old Asus AC68u (which admittedly is not the same hardware, but it is using the same protocols that OP's should use) at 519/465 mbps in the same room as the router and 443/307 mbps two floors away.