Cell Phones

How to install LineageOS on Samsung Note 2?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2020 11:52 am
[OP]
Nov 27, 2009
327 posts
41 upvotes

How to install LineageOS on Samsung Note 2?

I have an old Samsung Note 2 from Wind Mobile. It's been sleeping in the drawer for long time.

I want to install the latest LineageOS 17.1 (android 10, released on April 1, 2020) on it, and use it as a gaming pad at home (to try some new apps on cellphones). So I have the following questions:

1. My Note 2 came with a carrier locker, so only Wind SIM card works in it. Do I need to ROOT the phone (all I want is to install the LineageOS, carrier locker is not a concern to me)?

2. I watched the video below, it seems that no ROOTing was used. All the Youtuber did was to push the TWRP app to the phone via Ordin, then run TWRP to install the LineageOS. Can I follow his steps?

3. In the video above, all seemed working except for GPS. He used LineageOS 16.1 (android 9) published in September 2019. But GPS is important for gaming, so I need to make sure it works. Can someone who has already installed LineageOS on the Note 2 recommend a LineageOS version that does not come with the GPS issue (in case the latest LineageOS 17.1 also has the issue).

@badOne can you help?

Thanks a lot!
3 replies
[OP]
Nov 27, 2009
327 posts
41 upvotes
Only the video linked above shows how to push TWRP onto Note 2 using Odin, all other Youtube videos I've checked just simply show you how to install LineageOS using TWRP without telling you the key part - how to get TWRP onto Note 2 and run it.

So how to get TWRP onto Note 2?

Just simply copy the downloaded TWRP file onto a MicroSD card and press Volume Up + Home + Power buttons to reboot? Or use Odin or other method to copy the TWRP app onto Note 2?

Do we need to ROOT the Note 2 phone first in order to push the TWRP onto it via Odin?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16746 posts
3084 upvotes
Toronto
No rooting is required. I suggest you update to latest OS, then use Odin 3.1 to flash TWRP with the phone in download mode. Flashing TWRP will still allow your phone to boot with the existing OS.