Home & Garden

How to install paver with thickness 70mm and 60mm together?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 1:33 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 18, 2020
1 posts

How to install paver with thickness 70mm and 60mm together?

I am planning to use 60mm paver and 70mm accent paver for my patio, but I am wondering if they can work together since they have different height? If yes, how can we install them correctly ?
Thanks a lot!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2333 posts
2975 upvotes
West GTA
No real personal experience here other than a few DIY paver projects, but logic would imply that given you want the surface to be the level and the thickness is not the same, you'll have to add material below the shorter pavers to bring them up to the height of the taller ones.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22257 posts
20869 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
grumble wrote: No real personal experience here other than a few DIY paver projects, but logic would imply that given you want the surface to be the level and the thickness is not the same, you'll have to add material below the shorter pavers to bring them up to the height of the taller ones.
This

And a HUGE PITA ... never mind that it will never look good / function properly

Who in their right mind is gonna want to do this ?

The whole idea of a paver patio is it lies flat on a well prepared compacted crushed stone foundation

Your “idea” here, defeats that entirely.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2623 posts
1603 upvotes
Alliston, ON
PointsHubby wrote: This

And a HUGE PITA ... never mind that it will never look good / function properly

Who in their right mind is gonna want to do this ?

The whole idea of a paver patio is it lies flat on a well prepared compacted crushed stone foundation

Your “idea” here, defeats that entirely.
Why won't it look good or function properly?? It'll still be a flat surface to walk on, it'll just be more labour intensive having to add sand in areas to make up for the different paver heights when laying them. It's fairly common when using different pavers for accent areas or a border.
Newbie
Mar 22, 2020
43 posts
49 upvotes
Blue Mountains, Onta…
You would set and tamp the base for the main area first. Then lay the pavers. Then tamp the border to the correct depth. It's a 2 phase process but easily done.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22257 posts
20869 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
schade wrote:
Why won't it look good or function properly?? It'll still be a flat surface to walk on, it'll just be more labour intensive having to add sand in areas to make up for the different paver heights when laying them. It's fairly common when using different pavers for accent areas or a border.
EloiP58720 wrote: You would set and tamp the base for the main area first. Then lay the pavers. Then tamp the border to the correct depth. It's a 2 phase process but easily done.
Agreed

BUT NOTE ... no where in the original post did the OP say he was using the 2 different heights of stones in 2 separate applications ... one for patio & one for a border / walkway

He said:

I am planning to use 60mm paver and 70mm accent paver for my patio, but I am wondering if they can work together since they have different height? If yes, how can we install them correctly ?
Thanks a lot!
So all one surface ... (think perhaps a checkerboard pattern). And that was the scenario, that I replied to
Newbie
Mar 22, 2020
43 posts
49 upvotes
Blue Mountains, Onta…
PointsHubby wrote: Agreed

BUT NOTE ... no where in the original post did the OP say he was using the 2 different heights of stones in 2 separate applications ... one for patio & one for a border / walkway

He said:



So all one surface ... (think perhaps a checkerboard pattern). And that was the scenario, that I replied to
The quote you took of his said right in it that they have different heights. And 600mm pavers are like 2" so it's definitely depth and not face dimension that we're dealing with. Otherwise, yeah I would agree that'd be a nightmare to cobble together!
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
6876 posts
2161 upvotes
0 downvotes
what exactly are you paving? based on reading the ops post, I was lead to believe he would be using ashfault and paving it with a steam roller but based on what i read it sounds like he wants to lay down some interlock stones which have different thickness?
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2623 posts
1603 upvotes
Alliston, ON
PointsHubby wrote: Agreed

BUT NOTE ... no where in the original post did the OP say he was using the 2 different heights of stones in 2 separate applications ... one for patio & one for a border / walkway

So all one surface ... (think perhaps a checkerboard pattern). And that was the scenario, that I replied to
The same applies if it's the boarder or an accent area within the patio. Lay out your pavers then add/remove sand to adjust for the height of the accent pavers. It's not very difficult, just time consuming and the end result is still a flat patio with no way to tell the pavers where of different heights.

Top