How to invest only in US S&P - No TSX

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2022 9:08 am
Oct 15, 2006
459 posts
405 upvotes
Edmonton

How to invest only in US S&P - No TSX

As Oil is pretty high and gold may cool as the USD is getting stronger with the interest rate increase, the CAD is getting weaker, I think TSX should be excluded. What is a Canadian ETF that only invests in S&P, i.e. no TSX. I used to invest in XIU but not any more.
I'm more than just a picture | I'm a daughter and a sister
Sometimes it's hard for me to show | That I'm more than just a rumor
Or a song on your computer | There's more to me than people know
3 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29538 posts
20458 upvotes
There is XSP, XUS, VSP, VFV, ZSP, ZUE, HXS that trade on the TSX. You can buy SPY on NYSE.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Aug 2, 2015
182 posts
369 upvotes
I am not sure I see the premise as clearly.

- Weaker CAD is good for our economy in general and for oil exports specifically since oil is priced in USD, meaning more profit to oil exporters when CAD is weaker.
- While oil is expensive, it is expensive for a reason. There is a fairly significant disbalance in supply/demand and reserves being drained for months. The current projections are that it is unlikely to get equalized in a short term unless there is a significant recession and demand goes down significantly. Actually, most projections I've seen recently call for an even higher oil.
- Most central banks are raising interest, including the Canadian one. Since increases are mostly in lock step, interest is unlikely to be a factor in USD/CAD exchange rate, since both sides have a certain goal in mind and an extreme disbalance simply will not be allowed.
- High USD (past a certain point) is bad for US economy since it makes foreign investements and exports less attractive. The question is what to invest in if you think it is not Canada and a high USD is a headwind for US economy... EU? Emerging markets?
- Finally, it is a major macro bet. Macro is hard and even most professionals fail in it. Here it is a double macro bet - economy and currency.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)