• Dec 15th, 2020 5:15 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14240 posts
10536 upvotes

How is the job market these days?

Are people still getting laid off at the rate thry were months ago? I’m not seeing as many threads concerning layoffs these days. I ask because I’ve the last month I’ve been getting way more activity via LinkedIn. Almost daily. So how is everyone doing? Does anyone fear being let go?
44 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2234 posts
875 upvotes
there isn't that many thread during 2008 neither. People don't like to talk when they lose. But lots of layoff still persist with all the shutdown.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Ronald Reagan
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2015
1041 posts
418 upvotes
Markham
Still keep my current job and got 2 interviews last week

but i failed the final interviews because it is too comparative..too many talents out there

Each position got at least 150+ applications (Linkedin stats)
Dec 11, 2013
448 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
If have time available during this mess, try to learn a couple new tricks if you can. I know that's easier said than done.
May 29, 2017
196 posts
130 upvotes
Depends where you try to look for work... Certain feilds are kind barren. While at the same time I jsut applied to be a driver for amazon. 16hr 10 hours a day. Long story short.. I applied 1pm they called me 1:15.
Nov 30, 2007
270 posts
98 upvotes
If you're in a field that wasn't affected significantly by covid there are plenty if not more opportunities as things like hiring freezes loosen and virtual interview/integration processes have been created.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14240 posts
10536 upvotes
xpressmerchant wrote: there isn't that many thread during 2008 neither. People don't like to talk when they lose. But lots of layoff still persist with all the shutdown.
Doesn’t make sense. There were plenty of threads months ago. People don’t like to tell when they’re laid off but much easier online.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2234 posts
875 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote: Doesn’t make sense. There were plenty of threads months ago. People don’t like to tell when they’re laid off but much easier online.
plenty where? I only see one or two. That isn't much consider how many people got laid off.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Ronald Reagan
Sep 28, 2013
691 posts
412 upvotes
Food/Retail/front line services jobs? Bad. Tech jobs? Largely okay, some are doing way better, others maybe not so much. Oil and Gas jobs? Oxymoron at this point. Govt jobs? Business as usual.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14240 posts
10536 upvotes
xpressmerchant wrote: plenty where? I only see one or two. That isn't much consider how many people got laid off.
The point it there are much less now than there were then. The number doesn’t matter. Clearly you are having a different experience than I am.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9367 posts
1534 upvotes
Yeah I'm in Tech and I'm definitely seeing some better job prospects out there from like 4-5mths ago. I am working full-time already but like to still see what's available. I've seen quite a few postings for $80-90k that don't require the kitchen sink set of skills, haha. Obviously there are some stupid ones like... CCIE... 70k... like come on... don't be stupid.
angrybanker wrote: Food/Retail/front line services jobs? Bad. Tech jobs? Largely okay, some are doing way better, others maybe not so much. Oil and Gas jobs? Oxymoron at this point. Govt jobs? Business as usual.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4631 posts
2738 upvotes
Tech Consulting, outsourcing and MSP firms feeling the heat, lots of companies putting a pause or cancelling IT projects. IT contractors not seeing the contracts extended, or ended early.

All of my corp recruiter friends found jobs. It was rough seeing so many recruiters I know get laid off because their companies put a full stop to hiring.

Roughest are the ones who depend on downtown crowd, the restaurants, retail shops, services, clinics, coffee shops, cupcake shops. That will take years to recover.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4298 posts
2191 upvotes
Risk management seems relatively stable right now. The real challenge will come after the pandemic lol.
Dec 12, 2012
291 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
Cnsr0033 wrote: Depends where you try to look for work... Certain feilds are kind barren. While at the same time I jsut applied to be a driver for amazon. 16hr 10 hours a day. Long story short.. I applied 1pm they called me 1:15.
Nice you got yourself a job in 15 mins
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4631 posts
2738 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote: Risk management seems relatively stable right now. The real challenge will come after the pandemic lol.
IT/Cyber Security is hot, salaries have gone up this year and people getting snapped up fast.
Mar 20, 2006
440 posts
189 upvotes
I feel like many job postings are just being re-posted but I do vouch for getting way more activity via LinkedIn. If nothing my current employer viewed my profile twice this week. Hoping they are not planning to get rid of me or xfr me or having found out about the positions at other companies I have been applying to ;).
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20089 posts
4627 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I get recruiters contacting me all the time. Another Aerotek guy just phoned me today. Some industries are hot despite the virus. Tech field.
- casual gastronomist -
Sep 28, 2006
364 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
Its picked up quite a bit after September. But there's LOTS of applicants.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2010
1860 posts
579 upvotes
Seeing more and more layoffs notices/#opentowork on my LinkedIn. I work in a hard hit industry (Marketing / Advertising)....more places are letting folks go, big shops as well.

Lots and lots of applicants for specific roles which were cut heavily - roles converted to freelance and contracts. I feel for these folks.

I'm extremely grateful I was able to pivot and landed in a role which seems to be desirable. I'm getting messages from many recruiters that actually want to connect and discuss real roles (most of which are far too technical for the level I'm at now) but I'm getting a glimpse of where I can take this new opportunity. One of the key reasons I'm being contacted is BECAUSE I'M CURRENTLY EMPLOYED. I will be the first to acknowledge that - would it be the same if I wasn't working? Not necessarily and it wasn't when I was actively looking. I was doing all the reaching out and being ghosted/ignored.

Now I'm employed so I'm a hot commodity - its sick.

I also magically heard back after monnnnths from an individual I previously worked with that I messaged on LinkedIn requesting a recco. I know they saw the message (you get an eye symbol to show the message has been read)....and now that I'm employed I hear back from them with some BS excuse for why they didn't respond. A lot of those postings on Linkedin about helping those who have been laid off in any way etc. are just talk to get likes. Made me feel horrible / self conscious at the time but now I laugh. People's true colours show in your worst times.

I will never be that person. My word / actions mean something.