• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2021 12:40 am
[OP]
Aug 20, 2021
49 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto

How to keep a kitchen sink from clogging

My kitchen sink was clogged; I got a plumber to come in and he was able to unclog it with a snake. There was a lot of white grease on the snake as he took it out. The sink is draining well now, but he advised me to pour 1 litre of vinegar down the sink, let it sit overnight, then plug the sink, fill it up 3/4 full and remove the plug so the water flushes the vinegar all the way down the pipe. The vinegar should slowly eat away at the grease which is still in the pipe. I need to do this daily for the next month, and then periodically thereafter.

Aside from this, does anyone else have advise on periodic maintenance to keep a kitchen sink from clogging? Its something I didn't really think about much until the clog happened. I want to be proactive in not having it happen again.
23 replies
Dec 9, 2013
649 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
Don't put any food or grease down the sink.

Put your grease in an empty can instead.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22081 posts
8467 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Weird that a plumber is pushing home remedies.

You want to only send water and human biologicals down the drain, try to avoid long hair or grease or anything else such as sanitary products, wet wipes being a huge culprit.

Caustic cleaners work well but are hard on the plumbing, especially if you have any older metal in the lines, there are enzymatic cleaners you can use preventatively that are supposed to be pretty good, while i can't vouch for it personally Green Gobbler has a good reputation and may clean out remaining grease to get the lines fully cleaned if used a couple times.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8429 posts
3009 upvotes
Maple
miscbrah1 wrote: Don't put any food or grease down the sink.

This.

Pour baking soda and vinegar monthly to keep it clean and fresh.

We cook lots as Asian, we put grease/fat in container then freeze up in freezer, then throw it out with weekly compost. We put bleach 3 times a year to all drains (showers and sinks).
Last edited by teoconca on Sep 4th, 2021 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1987 posts
244 upvotes
Mississauga
i have a 35 year old house in mississauga...lived here 10 years...i'm about the 5th owner...previous owners were all different cultures/religions than I (based on neighbours).

this year my kitchen sink stopped draining...i took it all apart, cleaned it, snaked it etc. still no go.

Finally had to bit the bullet and call a plumber...my main pipe under the concrete floor was completely covered in grease/crud etc.

$1500 to pressure wash it out...and now it is working 100% again.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2845 posts
1503 upvotes
Markham
Just like everyone said, don't pour grease and fat down the drain!!!!

There are products you can buy from big box stores to clean drain pipes.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6806 posts
3093 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
ElBorak wrote: There was a lot of white grease on the snake as he took it out. The sink is draining well now, but he advised me to pour 1 litre of vinegar down the sink, let it sit overnight, then plug the sink, fill it up 3/4 full and remove the plug so the water flushes the vinegar all the way down the pipe. The vinegar should slowly eat away at the grease which is still in the pipe. I need to do this daily for the next month, and then periodically thereafter.

Aside from this, does anyone else have advise on periodic maintenance to keep a kitchen sink from clogging? Its something I didn't really think about much until the clog happened. I want to be proactive in not having it happen again.
Got a dishwasher? If so, use it. Heat (discharge water can be very hot) and abrasive nature of the detergent will help wash away the curdled fats in the pipes.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17811 posts
15257 upvotes
Eastern Ontario

100% this
teoconca wrote: This.

Pour baking soda and vinegar monthly to keep it clean and fresh.

We cook lots as Asian, we put grease/fat in container then freeze up in freezer, then throw it out with weekly compost. We put bleach 3 times a year to all drains (showers and sinks).
And this

# 1 - Don’t put grease down your pipes. Capture it, freeze it, and throw it in your GREEN BIN / Organics collection

# 2 - NEVER leave your kitchen sink drain open … keep your sink strainer plug in place always
Or better yet, buy one of these = https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-S ... B000U0K5PU

It’s silicone, so is super easy to clean … just pick it up by the centre handle, then turn inside out over your garbage can / kitchen green bin. And thereby also saving your nice clean regular sink plug for when you are doing dishes

# 3 - Vinegar & hot water … or vinegar and baking soda are a great way to clean a kitchen sink regularly.

# 4 - Nothing wrong with the occasional use of chemicals … we do a once around the house annually on all drains with Liquid Plumr or Drano
[OP]
Aug 20, 2021
49 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: # 2 - NEVER leave your kitchen sink drain open … keep your sink strainer plug in place always
Or better yet, buy one of these = https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-S ... B000U0K5PU

It’s silicone, so is super easy to clean … just pick it up by the centre handle, then turn inside out over your garbage can / kitchen green bin. And thereby also saving your nice clean regular sink plug for when you are doing dishes
Surprisingly, the plumber recommended the sink strainer which is sold at Dollarama for $1.25

https://www.dollarama.com/en-CA/p-sink-strainer/3022062

I was a bit nervous about protecting my kitchen sink with something so cheap, but he insisted it was the best sink strainer for kitchens.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4309 posts
2208 upvotes
Just remember that kitchen sink drains don't clog by themselves.
Scrape your plates into the garbage can instead of rinsing them in the sink.
Preferably only the water from washing your dishes should go down the sink drain the same as only as only what your body discharges into the toilet along with the toilet paper should be flushed.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8429 posts
3009 upvotes
Maple
ElBorak wrote: Surprisingly, the plumber recommended the sink strainer which is sold at Dollarama for $1.25

I was a bit nervous about protecting my kitchen sink with something so cheap, but he insisted it was the best sink strainer for kitchens.
More expensive ones don't mean it does better than cheap ones from dollar stores. They are function same. Both are make in China. It is up to user on how to use it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33982 posts
7624 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
You can also use a small dollarama plunger to clear the pipes, just be prepared for that white crap to come out into the sink

Quentin5 wrote: human biologicals down the drain, try to avoid long hair or grease or anything else such as sanitary products, wet wipes being a huge culprit.

You put human biological in your kitchen sink? Sanitary products? People do that?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22081 posts
8467 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Gee wrote: You put human biological in your kitchen sink? Sanitary products? People do that?
Apparently Winking Face
[OP]
Aug 20, 2021
49 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
BDSL wrote: Just like everyone said, don't pour grease and fat down the drain!!!!

There are products you can buy from big box stores to clean drain pipes.
My wife and I are of course being really careful now about keeping grease, fat, anything oily from going into the kitchen sink, also making sure no solid foods go down the drain either. We scrape the solid food off our dishes into the the green bin garbage and wipe any oil with paper towels.

You mention products you can buy to clean drain pipes - you mean chemicals to pour down the drain, or some kind of snake? As I mentioned, the plumber used a snake to clear my drain, but it sure looked like a tool for professionals - it was 80 feet long and motorized, didn't look like something a regular guy would buy and keep around the house.

By the way, thanks everyone in this thread for their advice.
Last edited by ElBorak on Sep 5th, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22081 posts
8467 upvotes
Socially Distanced
ElBorak wrote: Yuck.
Yeah so only use your toilet for its intended purpose and don't flush wet wipes, "flushable" wipes or sanitary products.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2845 posts
1503 upvotes
Markham
ElBorak wrote: My wife and I are of course being really careful now about keeping grease, fat, anything oily from going into the kitchen sink, also making sure no solid foods go down the drain either. We scrape the solid food off our dishes into the the green bin garbage and wipe any oil with paper towels.

You mention products you can buy to clean drain pipes - you mean chemicals to pour down the drain, or some kind of snake? As I mentioned, the plumber used a snake to clear my drain, but it sure looked like a tool for professionals - it was 80 feet long and motorized, didn't look like something a regular guy would buy and keep around the house.

By the way, thanks everyone in this thread for their advice.
An example of a product is called DRANO. There are a few types of DRANO. One type is for hair. Another type is for grease.
You can get a 12" snake. Or you can get a non-motorized 25ft snake (i.e you can find it at Princess Auto). Both, you can buy as a regular guy.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5096 posts
2003 upvotes
Grease goes on the front lawn (the government area beside the curb).
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8429 posts
3009 upvotes
Maple
jdmfishingonly wrote: Grease goes on the front lawn (the government area beside the curb).
That may invite creatures to your front lawn, and may be to your house.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13221 posts
10098 upvotes
GTA, ON

Yup... End thread right here.

Don't put FOG down the drain.

F - Fat
O - Oil
G - Grease

It will either clog up your pipes or the city pipes.

ElBorak wrote: Surprisingly, the plumber recommended the sink strainer which is sold at Dollarama for $1.25

And yes, use these to catch larger and smaller food bits. You should try not to wash anything down your drains other than soap & water.

After cooking, put the pot or pan aside (or pour it into a bowl/container) and as it cools any fat and grease will solidify, and then scrap/spoon it off and put into the green bin.
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!