Food & Drink

How to keep moisture out of a kitchen cabinet?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2019 8:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6574 posts
2263 upvotes
Vancouver

How to keep moisture out of a kitchen cabinet?

Is there some kind of a drying thing I can buy? I have a cabinet where I keep my protein powder. I want to make sure there's no moisture in that cabinet where I keep 22lb of powder. Is there a thing that can be purchased(cheap) and used to absorb any moisture out of that cabinet? So basically I need to find some kind of moisture absorbents that can work for months just sitting there and absorbing any possible moisture in the air.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6335 posts
2837 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I'd address the humidity/moisture issue first. Otherwise just store the powder in impermeable containers with good seals, and keep transfering a smaller amount to a small container for daily use.

Lots of dessicants you can buy but I'd try to address what is causing high humidity first.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1070 upvotes
dazz wrote: Is there some kind of a drying thing I can buy? I have a cabinet where I keep my protein powder. I want to make sure there's no moisture in that cabinet where I keep 22lb of powder. Is there a thing that can be purchased(cheap) and used to absorb any moisture out of that cabinet? So basically I need to find some kind of moisture absorbents that can work for months just sitting there and absorbing any possible moisture in the air.
My cabinets never have moister, is there something odd with your kitchen where moister seeps in? Holes?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8660 posts
2591 upvotes
Mississauga
Keep the door slightly open to let any humidity escape.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9557 posts
3850 upvotes
Maybe the thirsty grains of Activa Flower Drying Art Silica Gel https://canada.michaels.com/en/activa-f ... 00251.html

Michaels has had up to 55% one regular priced item coupons as we head into the holidays. That would make it $12.15 for 2.3 kg. Otherwise 2 kg silica gel is going to be $35-40. Silica gel can hold up to 40% of its weight in water so the 2.3 kg could absorb up almost a litre of moisture before it would have to be recycled (you roast it in the oven on low for hours to drive the moisture back out).
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1615 posts
361 upvotes
Vancouver
Cabinets are typically dry and supposed to be. If you have moisture or humidity in your cabinets you should probably look into the cause and fix that. Alternatively you could use those packets with the beads to keep moisture out of products such as your protein powder.