Cell Phones

How to keep my postpaid number without the monthly cost?

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2019 4:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2012
1858 posts
627 upvotes
TO

How to keep my postpaid number without the monthly cost?

I currently have a postpaid plan that I pay for every month, no matter how little I use it.

I'd like to keep the number from that plan because my bank etc send a code to it whenever I want to login, but I won't be in Canada for a while so I don't want to keep paying for the plan.

Most (all?) providers will let you receive SMS for free out of the country, so can I port my number out to any prepay and keep receiving the texts?

Do I just walk into any cell store, get a prepaid SIM, and ask to port my number? Will this automatically cancel my current plan?
Wins
2015: 69.99$
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17065 posts
3324 upvotes
Toronto
Porting will automatically cancel your existing plan.
Dec 12, 2007
109 posts
165 upvotes
saint john
TheWalrus wrote: I currently have a postpaid plan that I pay for every month, no matter how little I use it.

I'd like to keep the number from that plan because my bank etc send a code to it whenever I want to login, but I won't be in Canada for a while so I don't want to keep paying for the plan.

Most (all?) providers will let you receive SMS for free out of the country, so can I port my number out to any prepay and keep receiving the texts?

Do I just walk into any cell store, get a prepaid SIM, and ask to port my number? Will this automatically cancel my current plan?
Most prepaid can receive SMS for free, and most of them do NOT work out of Canada, none of them works out of North America.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2012
1858 posts
627 upvotes
TO
ahoo99 wrote: Most prepaid can receive SMS for free, and most of them do NOT work out of Canada, none of them works out of North America.
Thanks, I didn't know they wouldn't work abroad.
Wins
2015: 69.99$
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12925 posts
2221 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
My Fido by the minute prepaid worked for SMSing (both send and receive) when I was in Germany. That was last spring. (I've since cancelled that account.)

If the prepaid plan can do international roaming, then I don't see why it wouldn't work for SMSing.
Dec 24, 2006
470 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
If you're going the VOIP route, check that they support SMS Short Codes (you mentioned you keep it for 2factor authentication for banking) for your bank(s) as not all of them support it.

Example, Fongo does not support SMS Short Codes (not meaning to call them out specifically, just that I was researching when wanting to port over parents' seldom used cell plans)