• Sep 23rd, 2020 1:30 pm
[OP]
Mar 2, 2013
50 posts
11 upvotes
East York

How to keep puppy entertained while working

Hi All,

Really could use some advice here, we are looking for ways to keep our puppy entertained while working from home. We don't always have time to play with her during the day and are trying to find ways to keep her busy that are not treat based (we are already worried about feeding her too much!).
Any recommendations for toys we can get or ways to keep her busy?

just some background, we have a 5 month cockapoo and are taking her out for walks 3-4 times a day
and are giving her bully sticks but she is almost eating through one a day

thanks in advance!!
10 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11350 posts
7659 upvotes
Edmonton
Get another puppy. Or cat.

C
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1347 posts
994 upvotes
British Columbia
What is your puppy doing that causes you to need it entertained?

A puppy and dog in general is going to want to play and be by your side getting attention, and in turn you need to pay it lots of attention to ensure it learns acceptable behavior, there's no getting around that. Puppies are very time consuming. You could work on crate training for short periods (a good idea as it may get separation anxiety if you're always home) or consider a dog walker or puppy sitter.

Most distractors are usually food based; Kong with peanut butter, bully stick, elk antler, hollowed out bone with food inside... But most of these aside from the Kong I would not give to a puppy unsupervised.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6382 posts
1204 upvotes
Canine enrichment activities! Are you on FB? There are a bunch of groups where people post all sorts of ideas.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1347 posts
994 upvotes
British Columbia
amz155 wrote: Canine enrichment activities! Are you on FB? There are a bunch of groups where people post all sorts of ideas.
There's plenty of enrichment ideas, I love doing scent detection with my dog -- but I don't think this is what the poster is asking for. It sounded to me like they want some kind of doggie TV for several hours of the day while they work... which doesn't exist. Most enrichment ideas are food based or need human participation.
[OP]
Mar 2, 2013
50 posts
11 upvotes
East York
amz155 wrote: Canine enrichment activities! Are you on FB? There are a bunch of groups where people post all sorts of ideas.
Thanks!! this is really helpful and exactly what we are looking for!
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6382 posts
1204 upvotes
bobbyjoe318 wrote: Thanks!! this is really helpful and exactly what we are looking for!
You’re welcome!
Jul 1, 2016
786 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto
I don't have a dog myself; but have known many dog owners and this is what I've picked up over the years:

1) Regular behaviour coaching/reinforcement/training (This will pay off sooner rather than later)
2) Regular exercise and controlled diet (e.g. avoid over feeding for health)
3) Automated Ball Launcher for dogs (google it, you'll love it).
Pixelation~
Dec 3, 2006
364 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Outward Hound has fun puzzles for dogs (you can use regular food servings instead of treats) and a frozen peanut butter or yogurt Kong would keep your pup busy.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4441 posts
930 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Walks on their own aren't gonna tire out the young pup.

Take her to the dog park, tire her out there, when she gets home she'll just want to sleep.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 29, 2002
5032 posts
1510 upvotes
Vancouver
yeah ; take her out for walks and play fetch to tire her out and then she will be tired and sleepy