• Oct 3rd, 2016 1:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11214 posts
6231 upvotes
Markham

How to keep unused grass seed

I bought seed from Costco. I have used half of them and I plan to overseed again in next spring. How to keep those opened grass seed?

Thanks
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2720 upvotes
ON
Keep them in a cool, dark place. Dry, but not too dry that the seeds dry out completely and won't sprout next year (some will anyway, you'll get less and less % germination the longer you keep the bag)
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4546 posts
4079 upvotes
Toronto
I had a mice issue in my garage a few years ago. I was wondering why they were so attracted to my garage since I didn't have food in there, then I found a bag of grass seed I had forgotten about in a corner...

Now I seal up unused grass seed super tight (not just a loose elastic) and hang it in my garage in a certain way that it's not easily accessible.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11214 posts
6231 upvotes
Markham
So use clip to close the bag and keep in garage?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4529 posts
2458 upvotes
jm1 wrote: Now I seal up unused grass seed super tight (not just a loose elastic) and hang it in my garage in a certain way that it's not easily accessible.
13 loops is the preferred way to hang it .. the knot never comes undone.
May 28, 2012
11547 posts
3999 upvotes
Saskatoon
Completely seal it, not just clipped shut. We've had mice eat grass seed stored in the garage. I would actually keep it stored in the house in a cool dark area...less temperature fluctuations will keep the seed viable for longer.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11214 posts
6231 upvotes
Markham
Mars2012 wrote: Completely seal it, not just clipped shut. We've had mice eat grass seed stored in the garage. I would actually keep it stored in the house in a cool dark area...less temperature fluctuations will keep the seed viable for longer.
Thank you!

Isn't temperature too warm in the house, like 23 in the winter?
Apr 24, 2005
143 posts
21 upvotes
i've had grass seed mix stored for years in the basement. the perennial rye is still mostly viable after five years, the fescue and the bluegrass seeds were dead after the first couple years. storing seeds in the fridge will increase their shelf life substantially if you know you won't be using them for a long time.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2005
1187 posts
66 upvotes
Mississauga
Why not just overseed your lawn instead?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2434 posts
1267 upvotes
Edmonton
Do you have a bucket with a lid? A couple of ice cream pails? Problem solved
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11214 posts
6231 upvotes
Markham
walleye*guy wrote: Do you have a bucket with a lid? A couple of ice cream pails? Problem solved
Good idea, quite creative:)
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
17138 posts
5562 upvotes
London
Needs to be a sealed rigid/thick plastic or metal container.
I use the old metal black Knight driveway sealer cans

Mice will chew through any soft/thin plastic to get to the seed