Home & Garden

How to kill a tree without before cutting it?

[OP]
Member
Feb 11, 2009
285 posts
76 upvotes

How to kill a tree without before cutting it?

The tree is on my private property but I have to apply for a permit either way. One of the possible reason that they will give a permit is that the tree is dead. I'm just wondering how I can kill the tree so that I can apply for a permit and cut it down.

The tree itself is not very big, the stump has ~3-4 inches in diameter only.

Reason: I just want to replace it with another tree.

Added pic
Thanks,
Images
  • IMG_0218.jpg
Last edited by steph3n on Jun 9th, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
55 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 23, 2011
1770 posts
781 upvotes
Depending on where you live, this shouldn't need a permit
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
[OP]
Member
Feb 11, 2009
285 posts
76 upvotes
sherman51 wrote: Depending on where you live, this shouldn't need a permit
Sadly it does, i've already consulted the city's regulations and all trees require one.
This procedure applies to all trees, except for ash trees. Should you wish to have an ash tree felled, look up the recommended course of action.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2154 posts
771 upvotes
Markham
Um...it has a 4" diameter. With a handsaw, it would be cut down in 1 min. With an electric chainsaw, it would be cut down in 5 seconds. A shovel and long pry bar will remove the root...5 mins. Do you have soft hands??

But I am not responsible if you get fined.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2645 posts
1025 upvotes
Mississauga
steph3n wrote: The tree is on my private property but I have to apply for a permit either way. One of the possible reason that they will give a permit is that the tree is dead. I'm just wondering how I can kill the tree so that I can apply for a permit and cut it down.

The tree itself is not very big, the stump has ~3-4 inches in diameter only.

Reason: I just want to replace it with another tree.


Thanks,
You can still be fined for killing the tree if someone (neighbor) complains.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1658 posts
749 upvotes
GTA
Purposely killing a tree with the hopes of being allowed to get it removed because it died, is basically the same as cutting it down without a permit. You run the risk of getting fined either way.
[OP]
Member
Feb 11, 2009
285 posts
76 upvotes
BDSL wrote: Um...it has a 4" diameter. With a handsaw, it would be cut down in 1 min. With an electric chainsaw, it would be cut down in 5 seconds. A shovel and long pry bar will remove the root...5 mins. Do you have soft hands??

But I am not responsible if you get fined.

lol i can take it down in 5 mins too. But there are regulations and the tree is in the front yard. what does it have to do with having soft hands?
[OP]
Member
Feb 11, 2009
285 posts
76 upvotes
exrcoupe wrote: Purposely killing a tree with the hopes of being allowed to get it removed because it died, is basically the same as cutting it down without a permit. You run the risk of getting fined either way.
Agreed that this is true but they'd have to prove that I killed the tree...Not many neighbors around and the tree is a nuisance to everyone anyways with the small leaves that drops everywhere
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1558 posts
1707 upvotes
West GTA
Maybe call the city and ask them if it's okay if you cut down a tree with a 4 inch diameter. Generally cities don't care much about cutting down tiny trees, but they care a lot about cutting down big ones. I'd call them anonymously though!

I do have to say that chemically killing a tree and just cutting it down are likely the same violation. You can kill it a number of ways (glyphosate on the leaves, triclopyr on the leaves and bark, copper nails into the base, girdling the trunk), but why bother? Why not just cut it down?

I'm not sure where you live... Toronto for example lets you cut down any trees on private property with an under 30 centimeter diameter.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1205 posts
916 upvotes
steph3n wrote: Reason: I just want to replace it with another tree.
What City do you live in? You should be able to do this with a permit no issues. Have you spoken with your municipality yet?

You can even likely pay cash in lieu if you didnt want to plant another tree.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4965 posts
1497 upvotes
0 downvotes
if you live in a green belt or protected area then yes you need a permit, its not a municipality or city thing, its a province thing i believe. aka the province of ontario makes the rules not the cities or towns
Hi
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4965 posts
1497 upvotes
0 downvotes
try pouring gas or bleach on the roots and see if that helps, yes it might also kill your grass too.
Hi
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
12497 posts
9197 upvotes
GTA, ON
As long as it isn't a mature tree, you shouldn't need a permit. Call your city and give them specifics on the tree.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16593 posts
18175 upvotes
Oakville
steph3n wrote: The tree is on my private property but I have to apply for a permit either way. One of the possible reason that they will give a permit is that the tree is dead. I'm just wondering how I can kill the tree so that I can apply for a permit and cut it down.

The tree itself is not very big, the stump has ~3-4 inches in diameter only.

Reason: I just want to replace it with another tree.

Thanks,
Where do you live that you can't cut it down? Most only limit larger diameters (30cm), measured 4ft from the ground.
What kind of tree is it anyways?
If you want to cut a dead tree, they will likely send an arborist to diagnose it and you could face more penalties for cutting it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2154 posts
771 upvotes
Markham
Guys, the tree stump is only 4" diameter or less....
You don't need an arborist. A teenager with a handsaw can do it for you for $5.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1658 posts
749 upvotes
GTA
steph3n wrote: Agreed that this is true but they'd have to prove that I killed the tree...Not many neighbors around and the tree is a nuisance to everyone anyways with the small leaves that drops everywhere
Well.. the internet is a forever thing, so posting this question here will be "proof". That being said, until you make note of your general location, you're going to get bombarded here with questions about why your municipality says it requires a permit for all trees. In the GTA (Toronto), you do need a permit for any private tree over 30cm in diameter at the trunk. I had a dead pear tree in my backyard that was about 5" in diameter and I took it down myself.. no harm no foul.
[OP]
Member
Feb 11, 2009
285 posts
76 upvotes
exrcoupe wrote: Well.. the internet is a forever thing, so posting this question here will be "proof". That being said, until you make note of your general location, you're going to get bombarded here with questions about why your municipality says it requires a permit for all trees. In the GTA (Toronto), you do need a permit for any private tree over 30cm in diameter at the trunk. I had a dead pear tree in my backyard that was about 5" in diameter and I took it down myself.. no harm no foul.
Understand, here is the location with the link to the city's regulation....as I've mentioned previously. Doesn't makes sense why it requires a permit but that's the rule as it's private property and a small tree but that is another debate.

As for why they require a permit? I have no idea but that's what the rule is and what I'm trying to get the permit in order to cut the tree. Just asking if there's a way to discretely kill the tree.

Location is montreal. And yeah this is proof but props to the city if they have time to surf RFD and find this thread and link it back to my actual permit.
https://montreal.ca/en/how-to/apply-per ... ent=Verdun

If you don't wanna open the link:

Apply for a permit to fell trees on a private lot
You need a tree-felling permit in order to cut down any tree, regardless of the diameter of its trunk.

Reasons for felling a tree
You may be allowed to have the tree cut down for the reasons listed below. You must obtain the tree-felling permit before you proceed.

The tree is dead
It is decaying or affected by an irreversible disease
It is causing significant damage to property
It threatens people’s health or safety
Its structure has become fragile and the problem cannot be fixed
There is a risk it will cause a disease to spread
It is in the way of a building project or construction site
It gets in the way of building or installing a swimming pool
It makes it difficult to create an entry or a parking space
It makes it difficult to create an opening to provide access to a body of water
If you are planning to put up a building, install a swimming pool or create an entry or a parking space, before applying for a tree-felling permit, you should first apply for a permit to carry out the project itself.

Restrictions
The following reasons do not justify the felling of a tree:

It is losing blossoms, leaves, sap or twigs.
It produces pollen, provides shelter for animals or insects or provides shade.
Its roots are visible.
You may not cut down a tree, shrub or plant grown on public property. “Public property” in this case means the strip of land located between the curb or sidewalk and your property line.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16593 posts
18175 upvotes
Oakville
steph3n wrote: Understand, here is the location with the link to the city's regulation....as I've mentioned previously. Doesn't makes sense why it requires a permit but that's the rule as it's private property and a small tree but that is another debate.

As for why they require a permit? I have no idea but that's what the rule is and what I'm trying to get the permit in order to cut the tree. Just asking if there's a way to discretely kill the tree.

Location is montreal. And yeah this is proof but props to the city if they have time to surf RFD and find this thread and link it back to my actual permit.
https://montreal.ca/en/how-to/apply-per ... ent=Verdun

If you don't wanna open the link:

Apply for a permit to fell trees on a private lot
You need a tree-felling permit in order to cut down any tree, regardless of the diameter of its trunk.

Reasons for felling a tree
You may be allowed to have the tree cut down for the reasons listed below. You must obtain the tree-felling permit before you proceed.

The tree is dead
It is decaying or affected by an irreversible disease
It is causing significant damage to property
It threatens people’s health or safety
Its structure has become fragile and the problem cannot be fixed
There is a risk it will cause a disease to spread
It is in the way of a building project or construction site
It gets in the way of building or installing a swimming pool
It makes it difficult to create an entry or a parking space
It makes it difficult to create an opening to provide access to a body of water
If you are planning to put up a building, install a swimming pool or create an entry or a parking space, before applying for a tree-felling permit, you should first apply for a permit to carry out the project itself.

Restrictions
The following reasons do not justify the felling of a tree:

It is losing blossoms, leaves, sap or twigs.
It produces pollen, provides shelter for animals or insects or provides shade.
Its roots are visible.
You may not cut down a tree, shrub or plant grown on public property. “Public property” in this case means the strip of land located between the curb or sidewalk and your property line.
Everyone was looking for this line, "You need a tree-felling permit in order to cut down a tree whose trunk is 10 cm in diameter or more, measured 1.3 m from the ground." which confirms when you said you need a permit for over 4in diameter.

If you do kill the tree, you will still need to replace it with a new tree.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Member
Feb 11, 2009
285 posts
76 upvotes
I'm aware that I need to replace it with another tree and am fine with that. Just need to know what chemical I can use to kill the current tree

I'm thinking hack and squirt with a round up concentrate but looking at others suggestions if anyone has any

Thanks

Top