Home & Garden

How to kill a tree without before cutting it?

Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19172 posts
22071 upvotes
GTA
steph3n wrote: I'm aware that I need to replace it with another tree and am fine with that. Just need to know what chemical I can use to kill the current tree

I'm thinking hack and squirt with a round up concentrate but looking at others suggestions if anyone has any

Thanks
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1887 posts
1995 upvotes
Toronto
Careful about cutting down tree's, especially mature tree's as many neighbours will get upset and relations can sour. The neighbour across the road just this past weekend cut off every branch of a mature tree to the very top removing 80% of its' branches, let's just say numerous multiple neighbours taken pictures and Tuesday City official came out to make a report. Tree was on his frontage however on City property, however that either way doesn't enter into things.

In your instance i doubt a 4 inch diameter tree will create am issue, however i would suggest going through the channels as be above board. I do not see a reason why the City would not allow a "remove and replace" situation, another neighbour down the street was allowed for a smaller sized tree for that exact reason.

Tree's add a lot of depth to a neighbourhood and people do get very attached in these environmental times, no need to go the route of upsetting all the neighbours as once those relationships sour it will take years to rebuild if ever.

I think a small tree for tree remove and replace should be fine myself, seeing the mess the neighbour created across from me and the grief he has unleashed upon himself would suggest going through the proper channels is the best path forward. Everyone has to make their own choices in life, just know the potential consequences in relationships and potential fines should they follow....not that they ever will, just potentially.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6033 posts
2747 upvotes
Durham
A tiny tree on your own property ... easily dealt with ...

My buddy has one in his backyard in Simcoe ...

All he did was uproot it ... used a sawzall ... cut in smaller pieces ... brown bag it ... yardwaste .... done!

No need to contact anybody.

If it was a BIG tree ... then different story.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Nov 23, 2014
92 posts
103 upvotes
Regina, SK
Are you looking to put the new tree in the same spot? If so, I would just get it done. If anyone claims just tell them the old tree was sick and you replaced it.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2009
381 posts
126 upvotes
100OceanSpray wrote: Are you looking to put the new tree in the same spot? If so, I would just get it done. If anyone claims just tell them the old tree was sick and you replaced it.
In an ideal world, i wouldn't have a tree there but that is not possible due to said regulations.

So yes, i would be putting up the new tree at the same spot. Just another type of tree which should be more attractive, and less annoying with the small leaves and peas that fall everywhere in fall
[OP]
Feb 11, 2009
381 posts
126 upvotes
Just for reference, here is a pic of the tree
Images
  • IMG_0218.jpg
Sep 28, 2014
89 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you're in the GTA, there are thunderstorms forecasted again this afternoon. Go out when it is storming and kick the tree down and claim storm damage lol.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5740 posts
3570 upvotes
First off , that looks like a nice tree. Why do you want to replace it anyways ?

Also looks like it’s on the boulevard and it’s a city owned tree. So what you are trying to do is illegal.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2009
381 posts
126 upvotes
fdl wrote: First off , that looks like a nice tree. Why do you want to replace it anyways ?

Also looks like it’s on the boulevard and it’s a city owned tree. So what you are trying to do is illegal.
We don't have that concept of boulevard here. I've already measured according to the survey and the tree is 100% on my property.
While it looks ok now, in the fall the tiny leaves fall into our sloped driveway, could potentially clog the drain as the leaves fall through the drain grates. The peas that come out also have a gooey substance that sticks on our cars and just makes it a nuisance to clean every few days
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16366 posts
13867 upvotes
GTA, ON
That tree is pretty locked in with no soil other than around the base, I'm surprised it was able to get this big without dying. Its entire root system is covered by asphalt and concrete,
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6418 posts
5806 upvotes
steph3n wrote: We don't have that concept of boulevard here. I've already measured according to the survey and the tree is 100% on my property.
While it looks ok now, in the fall the tiny leaves fall into our sloped driveway, could potentially clog the drain as the leaves fall through the drain grates. The peas that come out also have a gooey substance that sticks on our cars and just makes it a nuisance to clean every few days
The drain as in the sewer? Unlikely but even if that were to happen that's the city's jurisdiction and responsibility, not yours. IMO, it seems like you're just annoyed by the leaves and don't want the hassle of it so you're getting get rid of it for a pretty superficial reason. Anything else you plant will also shed - even evergreens.

I agree with FDL - the tree looks nice. I think you're making a mistake of killing and replacing it. What tree are you planning on replacing it with? I doubt there are many that are well suited for that location.

I wish you could see the 'mess' my and my neighbour's trees leave (sap, pollen, leaves, twigs, bark, branches...walnut trees are the worst and I have 4 very mature ones, then there are the maples).. from Mar-Nov there's always something...nothing compared to your little tree.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2009
381 posts
126 upvotes
hierophant wrote: The drain as in the sewer? Unlikely but even if that were to happen that's the city's jurisdiction and responsibility, not yours. IMO, it seems like you're just annoyed by the leaves and don't want the hassle of it so you're getting get rid of it for a pretty superficial reason. Anything else you plant will also shed - even evergreens.

I agree with FDL - the tree looks nice. I think you're making a mistake of killing and replacing it. What tree are you planning on replacing it with? I doubt there are many that are well suited for that location.

I wish you could see the 'mess' my and my neighbour's trees leave (sap, pollen, leaves, twigs, bark, branches...walnut trees are the worst and I have 4 very mature ones, then there are the maples).. from Mar-Nov there's always something...nothing compared to your little tree.
I'm not sure what I would replace it with but probably something similar to what a neighbor down the road has. It would look something like this. All our houses have the same layouts as well.
Capture123.PNG
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16366 posts
13867 upvotes
GTA, ON
hierophant wrote: I wish you could see the 'mess' my and my neighbour's trees leave (sap, pollen, leaves, twigs, bark, branches...walnut trees are the worst and I have 4 very mature ones, then there are the maples).. from Mar-Nov there's always something...nothing compared to your little tree.
I'm so glad my new neighbour chopped down the one in his backyard. So glad the city allowed it too. Original owners planted a wild maple and the thing was already growing over the 2nd floor roof line. Our backyards are shallow and only go back about 20ft, so I was worried it's root system would eventually start effecting the foundations of all four homes.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6418 posts
5806 upvotes
steph3n wrote: I'm not sure what I would replace it with but probably something similar to what a neighbor down the road has. It would look something like this. All our houses have the same layouts as well.
Capture123.PNG
Hard to tell from the pic but that looks a shrub...that might another route but I think the one you have looks nice. The tree will shed once a year and it's relatively small, still don't get how this would be an issue for you but I get some people don't like nature, ironically.
chimaican wrote: I'm so glad my new neighbour chopped down the one in his backyard. So glad the city allowed it too. Original owners planted a wild maple and the thing was already growing over the 2nd floor roof line. Our backyards are shallow and only go back about 20ft, so I was worried it's root system would eventually start effecting the foundations of all four homes.
What you're describing sounds like a Manitoba or boxelder maple ...aka weed maple - they're a menace! They grow like weeds and are not structurally sound - this is coming from a certified arborist. When I first moved in, I had one, and noticed mushrooms growing from it, as well HUGE stalks. It was completely diseased - if I had waited any longer it would have eventually crashed down onto my roof and car. In addition, it had an infestation of boxelder bugs. So glad to have gotten rid of that tree. If anyone has one, I would recommend to take it down before it becomes a problem.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3211 posts
2022 upvotes
Markham
I know where you live now. I am reporting to the city.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19172 posts
22071 upvotes
GTA
chimaican wrote: I'm so glad my new neighbour chopped down the one in his backyard. So glad the city allowed it too. Original owners planted a wild maple and the thing was already growing over the 2nd floor roof line. Our backyards are shallow and only go back about 20ft, so I was worried it's root system would eventually start effecting the foundations of all four homes.
Yea, I have a maple in the front that's grown roots in to my sewer drain. I'm getting some RootX to kill the roots.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1887 posts
1995 upvotes
Toronto
Older streets in the City are generally 20m road allowance with about 5m from curb to property side city owned land. Newer subdivisions can be built to a reduced road allowance so you may be right, from the initial look looks like municipal property.

That is neither here or there however, either way should not be a problem to change the tree out as it isn't a substantial tree. I'd ask the City and they will likely allow and give you a list of suitable tree's to choose from to replace it with.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2009
381 posts
126 upvotes
BDSL wrote: I know where you live now. I am reporting to the city.
Thanks for contributing to nothing in this thread. Go get a life buddy
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3211 posts
2022 upvotes
Markham
steph3n wrote: Thanks for contributing to nothing in this thread. Go get a life buddy
Most people in this thread already told you it is illegal to kill a perfectly healthy tree.
And common sense tells you it is also illegal if you need a permit to remove a dead tree...and only a dead tree.
So I don't know why you are asking on a public forum on how to carry out something that is illegal....
Seems pathetic to me...