Home & Garden

How to kill a tree without before cutting it?

Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6430 posts
5834 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: try pouring gas or bleach on the roots and see if that helps, yes it might also kill your grass too.
This is such bad advice - causing unnecessary environmental damage for a really stupid reason. Why on earth would you suggest this?? smh
Oct 2, 2017
818 posts
587 upvotes
1. Buy a nail
2. Nail it in bottom of tree
3. Watch tree die
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3217 posts
2030 upvotes
Markham
azmongold wrote: 1. Buy a nail
2. Nail it in bottom of tree
3. Watch tree die
4. Get fined by the City
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
BDSL wrote: 4. Get fined by the City
Since you know where OP lives as per your previous post, maybe you just report it then instead of dropping your pants and waving whatever parts you have in the breeze on RFD?

Screen capture for potential of future edit.
Images
  • FE1A00B9-A868-4D5A-B9EC-9B491A84CF0A.png
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
5717 posts
6961 upvotes
GTA
That looks like a locust tree. If it is I don't understand why the city would plant one in this location. Those trees get huge and will cause a lot of damage to the pavers, sidewalk, driveways and whatever underground cables and pipes are near by. Ask the city what kind of tree it is and look it up. If it's a huge species maybe you can convince the city to replace it now to avoid the future damage that it will cause. I had a locust in my backyard, it was 40 feet tall, 25 feet wide with a 2 foot diameter trunk.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1839 posts
1421 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Any tree you try to replace it with will likely not do well unless you're able to properly remove it which is hard without disturbing the surrounding pavers/work. Many trees will pose the same issue you mention. Just let it be.
Oct 2, 2017
818 posts
587 upvotes
BDSL wrote: 4. Get fined by the City
step 3.5 wear gloves so you don't leave finger prints on the nail. If a fingerprint doesn't exist match you must acquit!
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1965 posts
1701 upvotes
GTA
So as this thread is still going, the question that should be asked again is:

Have you spoken with your City? With another human on the phone? And after you told them what you wanted to do, ie replace a tree with a tree of the exact same size, what did they say?

If you have a valid concern, neighbours are on your side, the tree isn't significant, and you're going to replace it with an equivalent, most Cities will allow this, even if it doesn't say exactly this in their bylaws.
steph3n wrote: Agreed that this is true but they'd have to prove that I killed the tree...Not many neighbors around and the tree is a nuisance to everyone anyways with the small leaves that drops everywhere
A tree having "small leaves that drop everywhere", kinda just sounds like a normal tree.

Have you looked at the native plant list that you would be allowed to plant from and figured out if your situation would be improved.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3788 upvotes
Thornhill
Harming a tree is an offense.

You want to kill this tree just because it's on your property?
steph3n wrote: The tree is on my private property but I have to apply for a permit either way. One of the possible reason that they will give a permit is that the tree is dead. I'm just wondering how I can kill the tree so that I can apply for a permit and cut it down.

The tree itself is not very big, the stump has ~3-4 inches in diameter only.

Reason: I just want to replace it with another tree.

Added pic
Thanks,
[OP]
Feb 11, 2009
381 posts
126 upvotes
tew wrote: That looks like a locust tree. If it is I don't understand why the city would plant one in this location. Those trees get huge and will cause a lot of damage to the pavers, sidewalk, driveways and whatever underground cables and pipes are near by. Ask the city what kind of tree it is and look it up. If it's a huge species maybe you can convince the city to replace it now to avoid the future damage that it will cause. I had a locust in my backyard, it was 40 feet tall, 25 feet wide with a 2 foot diameter trunk.
Yes it is a honey locust tree. My street all have locust tree and the street behind me have maple trees instead which I would have preferred.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2009
381 posts
126 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: So as this thread is still going, the question that should be asked again is:

Have you spoken with your City? With another human on the phone? And after you told them what you wanted to do, ie replace a tree with a tree of the exact same size, what did they say?

If you have a valid concern, neighbours are on your side, the tree isn't significant, and you're going to replace it with an equivalent, most Cities will allow this, even if it doesn't say exactly this in their bylaws.

A tree having "small leaves that drop everywhere", kinda just sounds like a normal tree.

Have you looked at the native plant list that you would be allowed to plant from and figured out if your situation would be improved.
I did speak to one clerk at the city by phone but it was like talking to a wall. The person didn't really understand or know what could be done. They said if the tree is alive, cannot cut it.

As for the leaves, picking up maple tree leaves vs those locust leaves are much more difficult to sweep...
licenced wrote: Harming a tree is an offense.

You want to kill this tree just because it's on your property?
Thank you for your contribution
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1485 posts
1001 upvotes
Longueuil
Are you sure that it is actually on your property and not the city owned part? I know Longueuil has more space so it could be different but that would seem odd to me, basically the city cannot do any work on the side of the street, they could not add a larger sidewalk, bike lane, bus stop... The fact that you said that all trees on your street are locust trees makes it looks like it is a city tree (what are the odds that all owners chose the exact same tree).

Anyway, with the limited free space around the tree, you will have a really hard time replacing another tree in the exact same spot. Are you sure you want to go through all this trouble only for leaves? Most leaves on your property are likely from your neighbors because of the wind and the leaves from your tree likely go the same way. I doubt you will see any difference. You can keep the leaves there, wind will move most of them away and the ones that stay will simply decompose. I have a really big tree in front of my house (really big, twice the height of the house, really wide) and it has a lot of leaves and if I don't rake them, the wind simply blows them away. Some years I don't have time to remove them (I use them for compost). Otherwise you can simply buy a cheap leaves vacuum. I got one and it works fine, it won't really care about the size of the leaves (actually smaller leaves might get sucked more easily).

I don't understand (I actually I do...) why the city would not allow you to replace it with another tree (even if it is a lot of trouble) since having the same species is really a terrible idea. I see it every day in Longueuil with emerald ash borer that completely destroys ash trees. It is a real disaster, it is really sad to look at. Good thing now that the city mixes species because with the same species, insects/diseases spread a whole lot faster and when they do, instead of killing every single tree in the area, you can only replace the ones that are affected.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3217 posts
2030 upvotes
Markham
I think OP is confused.

The healthy tree is on his property. Tree stem is around 3-4" diameter. The city already confirmed that he will only be granted a permit if the tree is dead. He is looking of advice here on a public forum on how to illegally kill his tree so he can apply for a permit from the city.

I only see the following options.

Option 1 (Illegal)
Keep you mouth shut. At night, go out with a saw, chainsaw, shovel, pry bar, etc. If you can't do it because you have soft hands, go hire your neighbor's teenager kid. Remove the tree, Plant a new one. This takes maybe an hour. Hopefully no one sees you and file a compliant with the City.

Option 2 (Illegal)
Go on a public forum asking how to kill a healthy tree. Letting the entire world know where you live. Then apply for permit. Then remove and plant another tree. Hopefully no one on the forum is working for the City.

Option 3
Leave the healthy tree alone. The leaves can be annoying. But your neighbors have the same type of trees and they are cleaning up the leaves just like everyone else.
May 15, 2020
135 posts
80 upvotes
Thornhill ON
Are you sure you can plant a new tree of Your choice? You may end up with the City order to remove yours and they plant the one they want, all other things being equal.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4880 posts
1778 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
azmongold wrote: step 3.5 wear gloves so you don't leave finger prints on the nail. If a fingerprint doesn't exist match you must acquit!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)