Home & Garden

How to know if humidifier is working?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2020 9:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 10, 2004
1994 posts
316 upvotes
Ontario

How to know if humidifier is working?

Bought a new place and the humidifier seems to be entirely enclosed within metal siding....how do I know if this is connected and working? I tried turning it on but its not easy to tell if its working or not.

20201203_163436.jpg
13 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33521 posts
7149 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
That doesn’t look right.

I have never seen a humidifier enclosed. It does not make any sense to put it into the duct work. It would obstruct air flow.

My guess is that it was removed. I don’t see any wires from the controller going anywhere.
Last edited by Gee on Dec 3rd, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6071 posts
2682 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Trace where the water supply line goes. Aluminium tape is relatively inexpensive if you need to look inside.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 13, 2010
3217 posts
3225 upvotes
GTA
Gee wrote: That doesn’t look right.

I have never seen a humidifier enclosed. It does not any senes to put it into the duct work. It would obstruct air flow.

My guess is that it was removed. I don’t see any wires from the controller going anywhere.
Looks like it. It probably stopped working or was leaking so they took it off and covered the hole.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 22, 2005
3901 posts
3059 upvotes
Ottawa
Agreed with the posters above - looks like the actual humidifier unit was removed leaving only the humidistat Astonished Face Hope the water line wasn't connected by a saddle valve Heavy Exclamation Mark Symbol
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1639 posts
853 upvotes
gumby wrote: Agreed with the posters above - looks like the actual humidifier unit was removed leaving only the humidistat Astonished Face Hope the water line wasn't connected by a saddle valve Heavy Exclamation Mark Symbol
Most likely it was...

They should stop selling those pieces of liability.
Member
Jan 17, 2013
459 posts
81 upvotes
Sarnia
It looks like there may have been an air cleaner attached to the same duct along with the humidifier.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2566 posts
954 upvotes
Woodbridge
From the kind of humidistat, it looks like previous owners had drum type humidifier which not only always leak but also causes bacteria growth and mold due to standing water. You are lucky that it was removed and patched.
Jabb wrote: Bought a new place and the humidifier seems to be entirely enclosed within metal siding....how do I know if this is connected and working? I tried turning it on but its not easy to tell if its working or not.


20201203_163436.jpg
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Central Air Condition Group Buy-2021
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12478 posts
7256 upvotes
Markham
You should consider reinstalling another one.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6410 posts
1075 upvotes
I recently removed my old drum humidifier and covered the opening with a plate similar to what OP's pictures show, BUT I also removed the humidistat and put a plate over that opening so that future homeowners here won't have to puzzle over whether or not the furnace has an humidifier.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 10, 2004
1994 posts
316 upvotes
Ontario
newlyborn wrote: From the kind of humidistat, it looks like previous owners had drum type humidifier which not only always leak but also causes bacteria growth and mold due to standing water. You are lucky that it was removed and patched.
Fair - Whats the latest and greatest in the world of humidifiers? There's hardwood in the house so I'm surprised it wasnt replaced with anything else.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2566 posts
954 upvotes
Woodbridge
Depending upon the size of the house there are many options available today.
1 Bypass flow-through type humidifier - most economical to buy and maintain
2 Fan assisted - suitable for larger homes or when efficiency is critical. However not always doable as this humidifier only mounts on supply side ( most preferred way)
3 Steam humidifier- most efficient but most expensive to buy and even more expensive to maintain. For optimum output you need to have 220 V and separate breaker
Jabb wrote: Fair - Whats the latest and greatest in the world of humidifiers? There's hardwood in the house so I'm surprised it wasnt replaced with anything else.
Last edited by newlyborn on Dec 4th, 2020 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Central Air Condition Group Buy-2021
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 10, 2004
1994 posts
316 upvotes
Ontario
Thanks for the info! Anyone have a reliable provider they've worked with to install one? I'm thinking the bypass or flow through humidifier.
Member
Feb 27, 2007
422 posts
245 upvotes
Jabb wrote: Thanks for the info! Anyone have a reliable provider they've worked with to install one? I'm thinking the bypass or flow through humidifier.
Where are you located - I know on this forum many members have had great interactions with @newlyborn and @fourseasoncomfort in the general GTHA. If you're located elsewhere I'm sure someone can give you a referance.

Top