• Feb 27th, 2017 11:55 am
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 25, 2017
15 posts
1 upvote

How to know If I used margin

Hello,

Just opened an account with questrade and I am new to this, I used a margin account and put 6k in it, Invested money in stocks etc , but now Im a bit confused about my balances

Will there be any warning or anything to tell me I'm using margin or what?

Thanks!
6 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4006 upvotes
BC
cchan90 wrote: Hello,

Just opened an account with questrade and I am new to this, I used a margin account and put 6k in it, Invested money in stocks etc , but now Im a bit confused about my balances

Thanks!
If your cash balance is negative you are using margin.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2014
1558 posts
1975 upvotes
Burlington, ON

Thanks!
It's hard to tell what's going on from a short description. Your best course of action would be to call Questtrade support and ask them.
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
781 upvotes
ace604 wrote: If your cash balance is negative you are using margin.
This is correct.

If I recall correctly from many months ago when I had a Questrade account, Questrade shows both a balance and your purchasing power. In most cases (there are exceptions and you should read carefully about this), the margin requirement is 30%. In other words, you must have 3$ of cash for every $10 of equity you purchase. Consequently, if you deposited 6K of cash, you would see a balance of 6K, but you would also see that you have 6K/.3 = 20K of purchasing power. This means that you can buy as much as 20K of equity with your 6K, however don't even think of doing that! It will cause an instant margin call the moment the value of your equity drops below 20K.

What all of this means is that if you buy any more than 6K of equity, you will see a negative cash balance, and this negative cash balance is charged quite a high interest rate with Questrade which is why I closed my account, since I use margin quite a bit.

Please, google about margin. Learn carefully how it works before you start using it!

Here's a link for you to read at Questrade: margin requirements
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2010
1042 posts
397 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: ..
If I recall well, when you open an account with Questrade it's automatically a margin one ...
Jun 27, 2007
578 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto

Thanks!
Hi cchan90,

As ace604 said, if your balance is in the negative, you are buying on margin. To better understand this, check out our FAQ on margin call: http://help.questrade.com/how-to/freque ... LQg328rJhE