• Jan 13th, 2020 9:31 am
[OP]
Mar 12, 2013
208 posts
76 upvotes
Edmonton

How to Know Iphone is Blacklisted

Hello RFDers

Recently bought a phone off kijiji. Sealed brand new iphone 11. Called the selling guy at nearest apple store to verify if it is a blacklisted phone or not. The CSR mentioned that the phone has not been set up yet. Warranty will be valid from the first day of setup. Opened the phone and did the setup. All is doing well as of now. I still did not keep my sim yet in the phone.

Just fearing that if i keep the sim, would it show it as blacklisted. Let me know your thoughts on this. Should I keep the sim in new phone or take it to the apple store and let them know about this..
25 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4013 posts
1172 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
this should be moved to the "cellphones" sub form, best of luck!
Hi
[OP]
Mar 12, 2013
208 posts
76 upvotes
Edmonton
Amourek wrote: The blacklist is based on the phone's IMEI number. You can check it here: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

BTW, just bc it's not blacklisted now, doesn't mean it can't be blacklisted later.

so this means that i will only know when i insert the sim?. The seller deleted off his profile from kijiji. He looked genuine when he called me at the Applestore
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19905 posts
5276 upvotes
Off the 404
glenn9090 wrote:
so this means that i will only know when i insert the sim?. The seller deleted off his profile from kijiji. He looked genuine when he called me at the Applestore
Yes. Basically in 6 months or whenever, it could get blacklisted out of the blue.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8063 posts
4458 upvotes
Alberta
Only way to find out is put the sim in. You already bought it so go for it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32859 posts
6496 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
glenn9090 wrote: so this means that i will only know when i insert the sim?. The seller deleted off his profile from kijiji. He looked genuine when he called me at the Applestore
Did he provide a receipt for the iPhone?

There is no incentive for the seller to black list the phone unless he has some sort of insurance that would replace the phone if he lost or had it stolen.
[OP]
Mar 12, 2013
208 posts
76 upvotes
Edmonton
Gee wrote: Did he provide a receipt for the iPhone?

There is no incentive for the seller to black list the phone unless he has some sort of insurance that would replace the phone if he lost or had it stolen.
I asked the same question and here was his response
Capture1.JPG

Thought he was genuine as we were meeting at the apple store... will insert the sim later and see . just fingers crossed.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: Only way to find out is put the sim in. You already bought it so go for it.
To be fair, OP could toss the SIM and put a different one in and still get blacklisted.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16737 posts
3084 upvotes
Toronto
Blacklisting has nothing to do with a sim, it has to do with the phone's imei. Using different sim cards in a blacklisted phone will not help unless the sim is from a carrier that does not participate in the blacklist system.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32859 posts
6496 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
glenn9090 wrote: Thought he was genuine as we were meeting at the apple store... will insert the sim later and see . just fingers crossed.
If he has insurance from Bell for the phone, he may black list it and ask for a replacement. At this point I would give him the benefit of the doubt.
Oct 27, 2016
934 posts
466 upvotes
GTA
glenn9090 wrote: The seller deleted off his profile from kijiji.
That alone gives me doubt
______________________________________________________________________________________________

cheap phone bill = Public Mobile 13$ + 3GB data only eSIM plan 0$ + Google Pixel 3a XL
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18800 posts
8478 upvotes
Oakville
Gee wrote: There is no incentive for the seller to black list the phone unless he has some sort of insurance that would replace the phone if he lost or had it stolen.
Another reason for blacklisting is if the phone was purchased with a stolen identity/credit card fraud. Apparently this is a thing, within the organized crime world. Steal somebody's identity, either use their existing credit card that you've stolen or set up a new one under their name, buy stuff that's high dollar value but easy to sell (phones are a big one), profit! And since the identity fraud takes a while to be found, and then on top of that it takes FURTHER extra time to see what was bought, do the chargeback, and then blacklist the phone, by the time the unwitting buyer's phone ends up blacklisted, the thief is *long* gone.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18800 posts
8478 upvotes
Oakville
And sorry, to re-iterate to OP: nothing you can do will guarantee that the phone doesn't end up blacklisted in the future. Order summary from Bell won't even guarantee it doesn't get blacklisted, if they bought it using a stolen identity. The seller deleting their Kijiji account right after the sale is a *huge* red flag, but there's nothing you can do now except wait and see if it ends up turning into a very expensive paperweight.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
[OP]
Mar 12, 2013
208 posts
76 upvotes
Edmonton
audit13 wrote: Blacklisting has nothing to do with a sim, it has to do with the phone's imei. Using different sim cards in a blacklisted phone will not help unless the sim is from a carrier that does not participate in the blacklist system.

The applestore guy checked the IMEI of the phone and said this phone was not yet setup and he also said that the warranty starts from the day I setup the phone.

One more thing to add up, i gave the phone as a gift to someone. ... it was setup and no sim was kept as of today. Would any sim outside canada work and you may not end up blacklisted..