Home & Garden

How to level the backyard that already has grass?

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2015 10:50 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 21, 2014
128 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto

How to level the backyard that already has grass?

My backyard is quite bumpy and I want to make it flat so it's easier to walk around and drag things around on.

There's grass there.

Is there a relatively easy way to do this without digging up the entire backyard and re-sodding it?
I am think getting a few bags of soil and pour it over bumpy areas Will this work?
7 replies
Sep 27, 2002
178 posts
81 upvotes
Winnipeg
There are rollers you can rent at home depot for approx $20 that is basically a large plastic drum with a handle. When you get it home you fill it with water and becomes quite heavy. I've used them for leveling out and compacting an area before laying patio stones. It would be worth a try, it all depends on how compacted the dirt in your backyard is?
May 28, 2012
12048 posts
4670 upvotes
Saskatoon
Those rollers are for installing new sod, to make sure the roots make firm contact with the ground. I really don't think it would help smooth out existing ground, especially if it's hard clay underneath.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2036 upvotes
Toronto
Cut lawn as low as is possible so sinks/holes are readily visible.

Dump a huge amount of top soil over existing lawn.

It can be more economically bought by yards at garden centres.

You can do spot filling of sinks but more difficult and results may not be as uniform.

Rake/ spread thinly allowing more to enter the sinks and holes.

Make sure to retain the current grade to allow for proper drainage.

Level and roll. Fill in any sinks that may have settled after a few weeks etc.

The grass should continue to grow normally if you did not lay it on too thick to cover the grass from sunlight.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5894 posts
297 upvotes
GTA
monotious wrote: My backyard is quite bumpy and I want to make it flat so it's easier to walk around and drag things around on.

There's grass there.

Is there a relatively easy way to do this without digging up the entire backyard and re-sodding it?
I am think getting a few bags of soil and pour it over bumpy areas Will this work?
I just had the same issue with my front lawn. Here is what I did. I 1st cut the grass a lot shorter than I normally do. I then ordered Top Dressing Soil that arrived in a 1 yard bag. As I walked on top of the grass, you could feel the bumps, so I placed the soil on top. Took a garden rake and used the flat side to level the soil. Once this was done, I threw some grass seeds down and watered!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
6307 posts
2534 upvotes
sunnybono wrote: I just had the same issue with my front lawn. Here is what I did. I 1st cut the grass a lot shorter than I normally do. I then ordered Top Dressing Soil that arrived in a 1 yard bag. As I walked on top of the grass, you could feel the bumps, so I placed the soil on top. Took a garden rake and used the flat side to level the soil. Once this was done, I threw some grass seeds down and watered!!!
great idea.... but does it actually work?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2320 posts
1386 upvotes
GTA
Or you could simply water the lawn until it's soaking wet so that the grass is mushy, get a lawn roller and roll it out until it's mostly level.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1631 posts
253 upvotes
GTA
gh05t wrote: Cut lawn as low as is possible so sinks/holes are readily visible.

Dump a huge amount of top soil over existing lawn.

It can be more economically bought by yards at garden centres.

You can do spot filling of sinks but more difficult and results may not be as uniform.

Rake/ spread thinly allowing more to enter the sinks and holes.

Make sure to retain the current grade to allow for proper drainage.

Level and roll. Fill in any sinks that may have settled after a few weeks etc.

The grass should continue to grow normally if you did not lay it on too thick to cover the grass from sunlight.
+1 .. Bought some triple mix 2 years back and spread out to uneven areas.. My lawn looks fantastic now :)