Home & Garden

How long after house sale can new owners come to you

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2021 9:17 pm
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3299 upvotes
Out west

How long after house sale can new owners come to you

What is the time limit after selling a house can the owner come back to you for deficiencies or issues found, etc. There has to be a cut off after you sold
146 replies
Member
Nov 13, 2019
291 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: What is the time limit after selling a house can the owner come back to you for deficiencies or issues found, etc. There has to be a cut off after you sold
I'm no expert on this topic but unless it's stated somewhere on the contract, didn't that ship sale the moment you closed?

As a new homeowner I had no idea I could bug the seller for all the deficiencies I found after the fact lol
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3299 upvotes
Out west
timofeewho wrote: I'm no expert on this topic but unless it's stated somewhere on the contract, didn't that ship sale the moment you closed?

As a new homeowner I had no idea I could bug the seller for all the deficiencies I found after the fact lol
No, there is a time line for things, as in you find an obvious hiding of a water leak, etc. Im just not sure what it is. As for contracts, these days, doesnt seem to matter anymore
Member
Nov 13, 2019
291 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: No, there is a time line for things, as in you find an obvious hiding of a water leak, etc. Im just not sure what it is. As for contracts, these days, doesnt seem to matter anymore
Interesting, I'd love to know too then!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35138 posts
8549 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Must be a west coast thing.

In Ontario, it is the buyer’s responsibility to get a home inspection and address any issues before closing. Once you close, it’s so long sucka.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10487 upvotes
Ottawa
Gee wrote: Must be a west coast thing.

In Ontario, it is the buyer’s responsibility to get a home inspection and address any issues before closing. Once you close, it’s so long sucka.
In Quebec, I have read of people going after the previous owners 10 years after sale.
Having said that, I would not be surprised if there is such things in other Provinces.

"n Ontario, a buyer has 2 years from the day on which a latent defect was discovered to commence a lawsuit against the seller. This 2 year period starts to run on the day on which the buyer first knew of the defect or on the day on which a reasonable person with the abilities and in the circumstances of the buyer would have become aware of the defect. A buyer will, however, lose all legal recourses if the buyer commences a lawsuit for a defect after the 15th anniversary of the day on which the seller should have disclosed the defect to the buyer,"
https://www.oahi.com/english/news/home- ... losure.htm
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Dec 6th, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3299 upvotes
Out west
Gee wrote: Must be a west coast thing.

In Ontario, it is the buyer’s responsibility to get a home inspection and address any issues before closing. Once you close, it’s so long sucka.
NO even with home inspection I have read that new owners have come back on sellers for issues they had no idea about, but discovered after a reno, etc. Hell the issue could of been from 2 owners previous.

But there has to be a time line to it, basically you have to stop owning your old home sometime
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3299 upvotes
Out west
Pete_Coach wrote: In Quebec, I have read of people going after the previous owners 10 years after sale.
Having said that, I would not be surprised if there is such things in other Provinces.
So basically it seems in Quebec, you own your home forever in theory, if they can come back to you after that long
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10487 upvotes
Ottawa
WikkiWikki wrote: So basically it seems in Quebec, you own your home forever in theory, if they can come back to you after that long
Don't know. I have just read in the newspaper of people being sued for major repairs many years after they sold the house.
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3299 upvotes
Out west
Pete_Coach wrote: Don't know. I have just read in the newspaper of people being sued for major repairs many years after they sold the house.
Im just coming up on an 2 year anniversary date in a few months, and I had owners serve me with papers summer of 2019 6 months after the sale for things that werent found in the inspection. Since I called their lawyer and told them, see them in court, Im wondering if there is a date I can wait for and then not worry about it. Unless they know the date and are waiting until the last day to serve me. Since they first served me by jsut leaving a manilla envelope on my step, not even addressed.

I have a feeling the lawyer was a friend of theirs to put some fear into me, because she was very surprised that I basically told her Im not paying anything to them
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10487 upvotes
Ottawa
WikkiWikki wrote: Im just coming up on an 2 year anniversary date in a few months, and I had owners serve me with papers summer of 2019 6 months after the sale for things that werent found in the inspection. Since I called their lawyer and told them, see them in court, Im wondering if there is a date I can wait for and then not worry about it. Unless they know the date and are waiting until the last day to serve me. Since they first served me by jsut leaving a manilla envelope on my step, not even addressed.

I have a feeling the lawyer was a friend of theirs to put some fear into me, because she was very surprised that I basically told her Im not paying anything to them
I think you need to check with your provincial regulations. Get your own lawyer....tit for tat.
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3299 upvotes
Out west
Pete_Coach wrote: I think you need to check with your provincial regulations. Get your own lawyer....tit for tat.
Why would I get a lawyer for this if it might end up being nothing. I cant find any provinical regulations, or anything online. Thats why Im asking here
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
9310 posts
3682 upvotes
Maple
It is not fair and realistic, the buyers should be on their own. They can't go after the previous owners. The house changed hands. Buyers completed the deals (agree one).

I would give buyers 1 week. After that, sorry, it's not my problem.
Last edited by teoconca on Dec 6th, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate to speculate. I hate to forecast. I am just proactive.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10487 upvotes
Ottawa
WikkiWikki wrote: Why would I get a lawyer for this if it might end up being nothing. I cant find any provinical regulations, or anything online. Thats why Im asking here
No problem. Just a suggestion as I am unaware of the regulations in Sask and Alberta. As you can see, Quebec and Ontario do have regs and other province may as well.
Asking for your legal advice on the shopping forum is ....can't find the words but dubious at best.:)
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3299 upvotes
Out west
Pete_Coach wrote: No problem. Just a suggestion as I am unaware of the regulations in Sask and Alberta. As you can see, Quebec and Ontario do have regs and other province may as well.
Asking for your legal advice on the shopping forum is ....can't find the words but dubious at best.:)
Nope, not asking for legal advice, Im asking for the time allowed after a sale, thats it. If Im past that date, or its upcoming, then I have nothing to worry about
Member
Mar 30, 2007
219 posts
37 upvotes
Vancouver
Here's an easy to read article that pretty much answers this: https://www.reminetwork.com/articles/la ... fects-law/

Basically a buyer can't come after you for small things that they should have caught. But latent deficiencies that the seller is aware of need to be disclosed and if not the 2 year statute of limitations applies.
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3299 upvotes
Out west
tareks wrote: Here's an easy to read article that pretty much answers this: https://www.reminetwork.com/articles/la ... fects-law/

Basically a buyer can't come after you for small things that they should have caught. But latent deficiencies that the seller is aware of need to be disclosed and if not the 2 year statute of limitations applies.
So basically 2 years for the later, as in issues you had no idea about, but they said we did. Thats all I wanted to know

But that may just be Ontario, trying to find AB and SK rules
Sr. Member
Sep 15, 2017
692 posts
732 upvotes
Unless something was misrepresented or some sort of fraud was committed the sellers are not involved anymore once the paperwork is finalized in Sask.

Top