• Feb 21st, 2018 10:31 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2728 posts
539 upvotes

How long can gpu shortage last?

So after missing out on the latest nvidia 1080ti batch Im curious how long this shortage can last?

3Months? 6months?

There was some okish non inflated deals over at memoryexpress. as of writing atleast 5 gtx 1060s 339 and afew 1080tis under 1100.

But I saw on nowinstock that they had afew 699.99 usd founders editions that sold within 1 hour. Ive been on that waiting list for nvidia cards for awhile. Im wondering if they sell before the waiting list even gets informed they are in stock.

Im currently sitting on a GTX1050. It works, GTA5, Destiny 2 ect. I dont think FF XV will run that well on this card. So im looking premptively at replacing it.

Also was able to flip afew gtx780s over the past month, those things drink quite abit of power and arent really optimized for current titles my current gtx1050 is beating it in afew instances.

So what are you doing to deal with the shortage did you cash out on a gpu, and how long do you think this can really last?
37 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
I have heard from multiple sources that Volta is coming out in March and that is the reason why the cards are unavailable right now. nVidia has been dedicating most of their manufacturing resources to have Volta well stocked for a successful launch.
I am a Zoomer customer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2728 posts
539 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: I have heard from multiple sources that Volta is coming out in March and that is the reason why the cards are unavailable right now. nVidia has been dedicating most of their manufacturing resources to have Volta well stocked for a successful launch.
Makes sense
Also answers my theory as to why is FFXV running so MEH on a 1080ti on all the benchmark reviews. I think the devs used titan v or volta im sure devs have early axx hardware that is so under lock and key so they can produce the newest stuff for the masses..
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
westnylefx wrote: Makes sense
Also answers my theory as to why is FFXV running so MEH on a 1080ti on all the benchmark reviews. I think the devs used titan v or volta im sure devs have early axx hardware that is so under lock and key so they can produce the newest stuff for the masses..
Ah yes. The two theories have come together as one. I like it. You could be right. I would love to see Volta launched in early March with the game.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21730 upvotes
Center of Universe
What shortage?
I can buy 10 1080ti right now at ~$2K/ea, albeit I have to use 5 different credit cards!
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1372 upvotes
As long as the Bitcoin/alt-coin bubble lasts.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
burnt69 wrote: As long as the Bitcoin/alt-coin bubble lasts.
It's not going anywhere. It is the new reality.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26938 posts
3663 upvotes
Montreal
SickBeast wrote: It's not going anywhere. It is the new reality.
Maybe. But eventually the hash checks will get harder and harder and GPUs will no longer be effective.

Bitcoin has already moved to ASIC miners. The rest of the crap will move on eventually.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2018
1009 posts
48 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Maybe. But eventually the hash checks will get harder and harder and GPUs will no longer be effective.

Bitcoin has already moved to ASIC miners. The rest of the crap will move on eventually.
Yeah stupid Bitcoin fad ruined it for us gamers. I'm still stuck running two 980 TI's in SLI. Not worth the upgrade since 1080 TI's are sold out to the Bitcoin people, and 980 TI's aren't that efficient for mining so I'd get chickenfeed for mine if wanted to sell.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
4574 posts
1100 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Maybe. But eventually the hash checks will get harder and harder and GPUs will no longer be effective.
The same thing happens with ASICs.
Bitcoin and other coins moved to ASICs because their algorithm is easy to implement in ASICs. Other coins, like Ethereum even though its market cap is massive use algorithms which are not.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9033 posts
10347 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Poutsounia wrote: Yeah stupid Bitcoin fad ruined it for us gamers. I'm still stuck running two 980 TI's in SLI. Not worth the upgrade since 1080 TI's are sold out to the Bitcoin people, and 980 TI's aren't that efficient for mining so I'd get chickenfeed for mine if wanted to sell.
I read if the bitcoin price gets below $6000 it no longer is profitable to mine even with cheap electricity. So maybe at $3k bitcoin there’s all of a sudden gonna be lots of 1080’s on kijiji?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5799 upvotes
Burlington
Coins get valuable ----> People buy GPUs to mine ----> The more people mine, the harder it is to profit ----> Less profit, dump GPUs, less people mining ----> coins get valuable again ----> people mine again ---->

It's a circle.

It'll go up and down, more risk, more volatile, but I don't think it is going anywhere.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12064 posts
2671 upvotes
Manufactures are stuck. They can ramp up production (which takes time and money), but by the time they have ramped up, the market could collapse and they are stuck with warehouses of unsellable GPUs.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16613 posts
2318 upvotes
I ended up buying a PS4 Pro ... couldn't justify the crazy 1000-series card prices.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5330 posts
3798 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I think there will always be miners. Right now, people aren't really mining BTC. They're mining alt coins and hoping they go up or people are renting out their hardware and receiving BTC as payment. If you want to buy a new card, you're probably SOL. When Volta comes out, there'll probably be an influx of used 10XX cards but do you really want those as I'm betting a large amount of them have been running 24/7 mining. If you're planning on getting Volta, then you're also competing against the miners and gamers looking to get the latest cards, driving up the cost again. It's like a lose lose situation.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1824 posts
850 upvotes
Ontario
Now how long would it take one of those rigs konsensei linked to actually make back the money of just the cost of the rig alone (5-10k+!), let alone the cost of electricity etc?! I don't get it...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21730 upvotes
Center of Universe
IcarusLSC wrote: Now how long would it take one of those rigs konsensei linked to actually make back the money of just the cost of the rig alone (5-10k+!), let alone the cost of electricity etc?! I don't get it...
It depends on the GPU.
Right now, calculating $0.1kWh of electricity usage; my 1080ti can generate USD $86/month per card.

My rig cost me ~$9K (6x1080ti), so you can figure the ROI. Lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5799 upvotes
Burlington
vkizzle wrote: It depends on the GPU.
Right now, calculating $0.1kWh of electricity usage; my 1080ti can generate USD $86/month per card.

My rig cost me ~$9K (6x1080ti), so you can figure the ROI. Lol
You are looking at around 14-15 months.

I look at ROI a different way. I haven't seen mining so profitable for that long. And from what I have seen in the past, 4-5 months would be a good stretch of time for mining. Then sell off the cards.
Your 1080ti was making a lot more last month, now it's roughly $100/month/card. That's $600/month.
For the 5 months time of mining (early Jan - early June), I'd say $3000 approximately, make it $4000 just to be generous. Then you sell off your 6x 1080ti. In order to make back the remaining $5000, you'd have to sell your 1080ti for at least $800/each. Quite a bit tight to sell those cards at 800 I'd say. When 1080 and 1080ti came out last year, 980 was around $250-300 and 980ti was $350-400.

If you are really thinking of keeping 6x 1080ti and mining off them for the whole 14-15 months, I highly doubt you'd make back the whole $9000. And selling those 1080ti in a year and half, look more like prices for 780ti now.

I think either you really go big big scale on mining or you go small, like whatever you have in your gaming PC, and earn an extra $60-70/month when you are not using the computer. It is just not really worth it to just buy inflated cards to mine.

But again, you never know, mining crazes will happen again, and card prices would go up again, and down again. You go big, win big or lose it all. I'd probably just buy cards and sell off to miners, more profit that way. HA!