Personal Finance

How long does CRA take to refund overpayments?

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2015 3:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 25, 2010
10 posts
1 upvote

How long does CRA take to refund overpayments?

I had a pretty large tax bill and sometime between sending the payment in and having it credited to my account, CRA re-assessed my return and now they owe me ~$2000. It's been over a week and it still shows up as a credit balance. When will they refund it back? Would they do it automatically, or do I need to call in and request it?
6 replies
Banned
Jan 12, 2015
4107 posts
27311 upvotes
we were told 2 weeks originally

had to call again because they screwed up, and that person told us 4-6 weeks

I believe it took 4 weeks in the end to receive (ours was via mail)

you will get interest which you will have to claim on next year's taxes
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2010
1978 posts
763 upvotes
Vancouver
My refund was direct deposited to my bank account today, applied April 29th
Sep 5, 2013
162 posts
30 upvotes
Just look at your online CRA account: it is all written there.
[OP]
Jan 25, 2010
10 posts
1 upvote
CyberDudeEh wrote: Just look at your online CRA account: it is all written there.
That's the thing, it doesn't say it there. I originally filed my taxes and was owing $4000. I sent that amount in, but in the meantime, my return was re-assessed and I was owing $2K instead of $4K. Then finally the payment went through and now they owe me $2K. It does not mention when they would give me balance back :( . I know that if a refund is a result of a (re)assessment, it generally states when it will be deposited into my bank account. But here it's because I unknowingly overpaid, not because I had too much tax deducted.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1879 posts
228 upvotes
I needed to call in to have it sent back to my bank account as it was just sitting there. I'd just call them and ask.
May 11, 2015
7 posts
2 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Definitely call them and ask this happened to me several years ago and I remember that if I didn't call the system might not have sent it back for like 90 days or something they told me