Personal Finance

How Long Does It Take To Generate Credit Scores?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2019 5:23 pm
[OP]
Mar 28, 2019
36 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver

How Long Does It Take To Generate Credit Scores?

So I just moved to Canada from USA (came here by March 10 and got SIN the next day). In Borrowell, my credit score is listed as 0. I got a credit card with TD bank and the bank has already generated the statement for the first month. Yet, the credit agencies are not generating any scores for me. How long should I wait before I am able to see my credit scores? A co-worker suggested that it might take six months for me to see my credit rating because I am new to the country. Is it true that I need to wait that long to see my credit scores?

As a side note - I am unable to create an account with Credit Karma Canada. When I enter my details, the site says that they are unable to verify my details. But I was able to create an account with Borrowell using the same set of data. Any ideas why I am unable to create an account with CK? Should I contact Transunion and get it sorted out? CK just gave me a generic reply that they cannot help me.
Last edited by ipkonfig on Apr 17th, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2156 posts
1027 upvotes
Kitchener
I got my daughter a credit card, she had just turned 18, and I think her first report came out about 10 weeks after her birthday. Either way, I'd give it 90 day or so.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
[OP]
Mar 28, 2019
36 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
jeff1970 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 2:17 pm
I got my daughter a credit card, she had just turned 18, and I think her first report came out about 10 weeks after her birthday. Either way, I'd give it 90 day or so.
Thank you for replying.

I was able to create an account with Credit Karma today and now they are listing my credit score as 749. I know this is just a score for indicative purposes and hopefully the score improves with time.