Travel

How long does it take Google Flights to update with Swoop deals?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2020 9:59 pm
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
333 posts
69 upvotes
Canada

How long does it take Google Flights to update with Swoop deals?

Just checked both and Google is way off. They're not mentioning great deals on Swoop for several weeks ahead. So I'm wondering how often Google updates? Other times I've checked the flights Google said they had they weren't even available! What kind of a travel site is it anyway? They're making themselves look utterly incompetent.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1612 posts
353 upvotes
Vancouver
Airlines actively manage pricing and probably prevent lower fares from showing on google flights and as with a lot of airlines, they are tricky with google flight prices not being available on the airlines own websites which purposely done I think to block you from getting a lower rate.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2564 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
MichaelZZZ wrote: Just checked both and Google is way off. They're not mentioning great deals on Swoop for several weeks ahead. So I'm wondering how often Google updates? Other times I've checked the flights Google said they had they weren't even available! What kind of a travel site is it anyway? They're making themselves look utterly incompetent.
Google Flights is merely a ‘search engine’ (like google) that periodically scans flight prices and their respective routes. It will re-route you to the website showing the lowest available fare. It’s NOT a travel website it’s a search tool.

Google flights is NOT a live GDS (airline booking system like SABRE or Amadeus). To my knowledge there is not such thing available online to the general public (even the airlines’ direct websites are not “live”) meaning the fare can change/sell out even as you attempt to book.

What does that mean to you?
That the fares shown could be higher / lower or unavailable in contrast to what google flights is showing. Extras like baggage fees - different fare classes - seat sales/ promo codes are not fed into google flights.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
333 posts
69 upvotes
Canada
Well at least they redirect you to the provider. That way you can instantly check to see if its really available. Thank you for those answers. Very helpful. Now it makes some sort of sense. Would be good if they mentioned these tidbits on their website though. Like "There are the prices....maybe. But not really because there are other considerations which we haven't bothered to integrate into our website. Because we're a trillion dollar company and, well, we have bills."
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2564 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
MichaelZZZ wrote: Well at least they redirect you to the provider. That way you can instantly check to see if its really available. Thank you for those answers. Very helpful. Now it makes some sort of sense. Would be good if they mentioned these tidbits on their website though. Like "There are the prices....maybe. But not really because there are other considerations which we haven't bothered to integrate into our website. Because we're a trillion dollar company and, well, we have bills."
TBH it would be near impossible to keep it “live” with the airlines’s GDS. Even big third party websites (like Expedia for example) OR the airline’s website directly who deal with hundreds of airlines / routes are not “live” which is why sometimes you when you go select a fare you get a pop up message “sorry! The fare has increased/decreased”

They are a search engine- like google.com (ever click on a site only to be told “sorry this link is broken”) same thing.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
333 posts
69 upvotes
Canada
So we want to go right to the airline itself to book, right? That's the most direct way possible today?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
23690 posts
5374 upvotes
where I belong
MichaelZZZ wrote: So we want to go right to the airline itself to book, right? That's the most direct way possible today?
If the prices are the same/similar, yes

OTA/Google are merely ways to show you OPTIONS
Google doesn't show MANY LCC flights/prices. SkyScanner is better for that
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K