Food & Drink

how long should a turkey thaw?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 7:25 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5213 posts
2165 upvotes
for close to 20lb I thaw in fridge for 6 days. If you think about it, you have a leeway of 3 days even if it completely thaws out in the fridge before it goes bad. 6 days is fairly safe for a large turkey. I find after 6 days there is still some ice in the cavity but not a lot of it.

For brine I would suggest a dry brine - you get the full taste of the turkey and it's equally if not more moist than a wet brine, and without the mess. Butterfly the thawed turkey and dry brined and now it'll come out very moist and it'll cook in a fraction of the normal time if you hadn't butterflied it.

As for turkey recipes try Gordan Ramsey's xmas turkey. You'll never go back after that.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5213 posts
2165 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 10:19 pm
The Gordon Ramsey recipe looks very good. This is the weirdest turkey recipe I have ever come across:

39 Ingredient Black Lacquered Turkey.

https://www.marthastewart.com/348453/bl ... red-turkey
the reviews aren't good but I suspect people are just put off by the burnt appearance and by the number 39 of something. Try the Gordon ramsey recipe and you have to make the sauce otherwise it wont be extraordinary. So easy to make too and a hit every time I make it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5213 posts
2165 upvotes
I invested in a large Rubbermaid container for storage. Just large enough for a 10kg turkey with water for defrosting, and the top cover can be used to carry the turkey between the fridge and the oven in the case of dry brining.
Aug 26, 2018
377 posts
741 upvotes
The danger zone is temperatures between 5C to 60C, which is why food should be stored below 4C. Food left in the danger zone outside of refrigeration for more than 2 hours should be discarded, at least in professional kitchens.

Ideally you should be defrosting the turkey in the fridge where it is between 0-4C. Of course that means 4-5 days defrosting for a huge chunk of frozen whole turkey.

But then I'm sure a lot of home cooks wing it by defrosting in the danger zone for hours and then bake the crap out of it to kill germs, and still don't get sick. To each their own. I always defrost my meats in the fridge. If it has to wait, it has to wait.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6734 posts
1392 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 10:30 pm
the reviews aren't good but I suspect people are just put off by the burnt appearance and by the number 39 of something. Try the Gordon ramsey recipe and you have to make the sauce otherwise it wont be extraordinary. So easy to make too and a hit every time I make it.
Now I've seen everything!! Flamin' Cheetos Turkey

https://www.delish.com/food-news/news/a ... os-turkey/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7482 posts
2695 upvotes
Markham
badOne wrote:
Dec 13th, 2018 7:07 pm
for close to 20lb I thaw in fridge for 6 days. If you think about it, you have a leeway of 3 days even if it completely thaws out in the fridge before it goes bad. 6 days is fairly safe for a large turkey. I find after 6 days there is still some ice in the cavity but not a lot of it.

For brine I would suggest a dry brine - you get the full taste of the turkey and it's equally if not more moist than a wet brine, and without the mess. Butterfly the thawed turkey and dry brined and now it'll come out very moist and it'll cook in a fraction of the normal time if you hadn't butterflied it.

As for turkey recipes try Gordan Ramsey's xmas turkey. You'll never go back after that.
This is pretty much exactly what I do...just finished thawing two 12lb turkeys, split them in halves (even easier to handle than spatchcoking) and dry brined them (1TBl salt/5 lb turkey). Making stock right now in my Instant Pot with 2 necks and 2 back bones (pre-roasted it to get some brownie/toasty goodness on it) with some mire poix and herbies.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41103 posts
4887 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
bonterra wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 10:10 pm
Now I've seen everything!! Flamin' Cheetos Turkey

https://www.delish.com/food-news/news/a ... os-turkey/
That reminds me of a weirdo recipe i used to make...

Boneless chicken breast covered with crushed up miss vickies jalapeno kettle chips.

It actually works really well bc of how seasoned/salty chips are.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5775 posts
2367 upvotes
What are you doing about cranberry sauce? I am making this one more or less; for the spices I am doing garum masala, mustard seed and nigella seed instead of the cinnamon and allspice, to make it more savoury. Skipping the nuts too because I am not going to bottle it.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6734 posts
1392 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 5:44 pm
What are you doing about cranberry sauce? I am making this one more or less; for the spices I am doing garum masala, mustard seed and nigella seed instead of the cinnamon and allspice, to make it more savoury. Skipping the nuts too because I am not going to bottle it.
Have to admit, canned whole berry. Thanks for the reminder, forgot to buy some today.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5213 posts
2165 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 12:29 pm
This is pretty much exactly what I do...just finished thawing two 12lb turkeys, split them in halves (even easier to handle than spatchcoking) and dry brined them (1TBl salt/5 lb turkey). Making stock right now in my Instant Pot with 2 necks and 2 back bones (pre-roasted it to get some brownie/toasty goodness on it) with some mire poix and herbies.
sounds tasty - I wish they had the 99 cent per lb sale over at No Frills but this xmas season they don't. Prime Rib will have to do *sigh*
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5775 posts
2367 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 8:53 pm
Have to admit, canned whole berry. Thanks for the reminder, forgot to buy some today.
The recipe made 1 liter smh. What's a can, 348 ml? lol.