• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 7:25 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
4901 posts
1780 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 8:53 pm
Have to admit, canned whole berry. Thanks for the reminder, forgot to buy some today.
The recipe made 1 liter smh. What's a can, 348 ml? lol.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19315 posts
5537 upvotes
topshot wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 3:01 pm
Any concern about bacteria using the sink method? My general rule of thumb is to not leave any meat outside of refrigeration. I've generally always bought the cook from frozen varieties, but they were not included in the deal from Loblaws.
Yes. Lots.
Overnight in a sink is ridiculous.
If you need to speed thaw it, running water in a sink.
The convection makes a HUGE difference.

But fridge is best.

Actually fresh is best.
Oct 23, 2017
587 posts
318 upvotes
GTA West
You can use your cooking thermometer to assess the status of the thaw in various parts of the bird.

This year I thawed it in our beer fridge for almost 4 days. I pulled out the neck and stuff after a couple of days to allow for better air circulation. Finally, 24 hours before cooking I brined it in a cooler, adding ice cubes to the brine a couple of times to keep the temp around 40 degrees. That provided a nice even thaw throughout.

I cooked it to an internal temp of around 175 and I assume that kills any bacteria. This big 16 lb turkey was a gift - otherwise we would never buy one. Our bird was roasted perfectly but I still don't like that breast meat, or those tendons in the legs. Maybe a much smaller free ranger would provide a different experience.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19315 posts
5537 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 10:03 am
Maybe a much smaller free ranger would provide a different experience.
Why don't you like breast?
Heritage bird might be more to your liking if taste is an issue.

A free range won't help in this regard. Tendons are still there.
Oct 23, 2017
587 posts
318 upvotes
GTA West
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 2:23 pm
Why don't you like breast?
Heritage bird might be more to your liking if taste is an issue.

A free range won't help in this regard. Tendons are still there.
I will be traveling in the Yucatan next month where "pavo" is a popular local food and we will try it there. It looks like they would be "heritage" birds.