Wheels and Tires

How long the tire last after the threads come out?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2019 3:56 pm
[OP]
Jan 16, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes

How long the tire last after the threads come out?

Hi guys,
Recently I have to change my summer tires as they have been using for 30k kms. The tire treads are 2/32 or 3/32 I guess.
After one tire got flat, I towed the car and replace the tire for $900 on that single tire. It is expensive as it is a performance tire. So I purchased other 3 tires in US, shipped to cross-border pickup location and I am going to US.
While I found that the driver front tire has some silver threads come out, not broken, but I can see a scratch on rubber. It is about 3 inch long.
The tire condition is bad, I know that, while when the first tire got flat, it is because the rubber has been fall off, and threads are continously been taking out.
As it is a top quality run-flat tire built for exotic cars, the tire did not explode on the highway and the air slowly leaked.

Generally, I only need to drive on those tires to cross the border and go back to replace. It is about a 140km*2 trip, including 120km*2 on the highway, limit 90km/h.
Is is safe to drive through this? Or if the threads have been exposed, the tire would not last this 280km trip? (It might be safe as the tire will go flat neither than exploding, but towing car across the border then for 140km is still terrible)
23 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16038 posts
4870 upvotes
London
1) Ask a buddy if he can drive you to the get the tires?
2) Rent a car for the day - weekend rentals are cheap $60?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4025 posts
4157 upvotes
GTA
This is a terrible idea. Your tires are well past worn out. And you want to drive 120 km on the highway...
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2311 posts
1883 upvotes
Markham
Not just for your safety but for the safety of those around you, I’d say a big no... not safe especially at highway speeds. Your rubber will be hot AF and taking an exit is a big risk, especially if it’s a 270 degree one.

Worst case, get a used tire to replace that one but if you are getting the tire and coming back (not installing at destination), just get a lift.
Last edited by HDawg on May 4th, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5852 posts
2218 upvotes
GTEH!
WaterBro wrote: Hi guys,
Recently I have to change my summer tires as they have been using for 30k kms. The tire treads are 2/32 or 3/32 I guess.
After one tire got flat, I towed the car and replace the tire for $900 on that single tire. It is expensive as it is a performance tire. So I purchased other 3 tires in US, shipped to cross-border pickup location and I am going to US.
While I found that the driver front tire has some silver threads come out, not broken, but I can see a scratch on rubber. It is about 3 inch long.
The tire condition is bad, I know that, while when the first tire got flat, it is because the rubber has been fall off, and threads are continously been taking out.
As it is a top quality run-flat tire built for exotic cars, the tire did not explode on the highway and the air slowly leaked.

Generally, I only need to drive on those tires to cross the border and go back to replace. It is about a 140km*2 trip, including 120km*2 on the highway, limit 90km/h.
Is is safe to drive through this? Or if the threads have been exposed, the tire would not last this 280km trip? (It might be safe as the tire will go flat neither than exploding, but towing car across the border then for 140km is still terrible)
You are playing with death because the silver lining/piece you see is the belt inside the tire.
I would 110% DEFINITELY replace the tire NOW/ASAP. DO NOT drive on this tire as it's well past it's useful life.
If you don't care about your life, think about the other people around you when your tire BLOWS OUT and the accident you may cause.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5663 posts
3253 upvotes
Toronto
Lol, 2/32 and steel belts showing? The tires should have been replaced long time ago.

Budget ballers still got to ball I guess.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1305 posts
938 upvotes

This has to be a late April Fools joke!
No one would drive a car if it had tires like this.
A no brainer.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4504 posts
590 upvotes
Scarborough
profile wrote: This has to be a late April Fools joke!
A no brainer.
OP's got more money than brains :facepalm:
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2983 posts
2902 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If a shop replaced one tire for $900 and let you leave with your other tires looking like that i would never go back to that shop. I'm guessing they told you it's not safe to drive and you ignored them?

If you can't afford tires you should get a cheaper car. Or replace all 4 with a cheaper set of tires.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11152 posts
2913 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
What car do you have?
What tires are you buying?

It sounds like you are buying RunFlats maybe 19 or 20" which is why its so expensive. You can likely change all tires for something much cheaper and still a performance tire cant be possible 1 tire costs $900 and be a performance tire, You can get racing tires for around that price.

So something is not right, you need to provide more info because i'm pretty sure you can save a lot of money.

0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5576 posts
2160 upvotes
Debtario
profile wrote: This has to be a late April Fools joke!
A no brainer.
There are more than a few people out there with zero care/knowledge about their vehicles, the only time those cars see service is when they don't start. Even then it may be at the hands of a "car guy" for a cheapie fix.

I'm far from a car expert, but I've seen some really sketchy cars out there from massive rust perforation, wobbly wheels, massively under-inflated tires, and parts hanging ready to fall off. Don't see as many clunkers out there these days thankfully, but they are out there.

There was a thread here last year or so where an RFDer took a pic of a wheel with badly backed out lug nuts, now that is scary stuff. There was one or maybe 2 lug nuts making contact with the wheel, the rest you could see the stud threads.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
[OP]
Jan 16, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes
They told me it is not safe, but I am just trying to save some money on Tire shop, their price for the tire is about 40% more expensive than the price in US. So I decided to get tires by acrossing border.

It is not the car type problem, the car is using 285/40/20 and 325/35/20 tires, which are only produced by Pirelli in North America, I got no other choices. This tire can only last 2-3 years, and I have to change all of them to brand new b4 selling the car. With that three tires (Which will use to replace immediately) plus four extra backup new tires (which will be used b4 selling), I can save about $2500 in total compared to get tires in Canadian tire shop. Yes, I got a 130k car, but who can afford 130k car can still want to save 2.5k, right?

But the safety is the main concern, I dont care my life but I do care others on the road. So I am seeking options here, my age is below 21 so no car rental will give me a car, besides I got an accident in snowy days so car sharing like Maven or Turo will not allow me to rent. Uber or Lyft cannot go across border. And most of my friends are not driving, that's why I am attempting to drive to get them back. But I am still thinking some better alternative options.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes
sickcars wrote: What car do you have?
What tires are you buying?

It sounds like you are buying RunFlats maybe 19 or 20" which is why its so expensive. You can likely change all tires for something much cheaper and still a performance tire cant be possible 1 tire costs $900 and be a performance tire, You can get racing tires for around that price.

So something is not right, you need to provide more info because i'm pretty sure you can save a lot of money.
It is a BMW X6M, buying Pirelli P-Zero Summer performance. The problem is, this model of tire is the only one on the market that can fit 285/40/20, 325/35/20 wheel. In Canada, front tire is $650 b4 tax and rear $820 b4 tax, that comes to $730 and $926 after tax, plus tire shop charge. It is pretty crazy so I am really hate this car right now, even a AMG GTR or Cayenne Turbo S tire will cost lower than that. The maintenance cost on a High performance SUV is even higher than a luxury performance sedan...
[OP]
Jan 16, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes
Yeah I realized that, I am still not going anywhere right now, I am thinking of the options to go across border, as I am below 21 and got suspension before, both car sharing or rental group wont give me a car and most of my friend dont drive. Uber driver are not taking order, because they need to return with no customer.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11152 posts
2913 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Oh ok I see, thats a pain.

So I would contact/Email SimplyTire & Tires23. Tell them the year/Model SUV you have and explain to them these tires are super expensive and your looking into other options to save some costs. You can likely go down a size which will be cheaper and give you more options.

For example My car comes with 235/35/19. I have put on 225/40/18, 245/40/18, 235/35/19 all on my car and it all fits without issues (other then the 245 version) So you may be able to go down a size and have more options but contact those 2 tire shops because they know their shit and deal with custom tire sizes and higher end cars so they would know what would work and what wont.
WaterBro wrote: It is a BMW X6M, buying Pirelli P-Zero Summer performance. The problem is, this model of tire is the only one on the market that can fit 285/40/20, 325/35/20 wheel. In Canada, front tire is $650 b4 tax and rear $820 b4 tax, that comes to $730 and $926 after tax, plus tire shop charge. It is pretty crazy so I am really hate this car right now, even a AMG GTR or Cayenne Turbo S tire will cost lower than that. The maintenance cost on a High performance SUV is even higher than a luxury performance sedan...
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4504 posts
590 upvotes
Scarborough
WaterBro wrote: It is a BMW X6M, buying Pirelli P-Zero Summer performance. The problem is, this model of tire is the only one on the market that can fit 285/40/20, 325/35/20 wheel. In Canada, front tire is $650 b4 tax and rear $820 b4 tax, that comes to $730 and $926 after tax, plus tire shop charge. It is pretty crazy so I am really hate this car right now, even a AMG GTR or Cayenne Turbo S tire will cost lower than that. The maintenance cost on a High performance SUV is even higher than a luxury performance sedan...

https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/285-40R20
https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/325-35R20

FWIW, the P-Zeros also have a really low treadwear rating (some reviews mention only good up until ~10k worth of mileage)
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5852 posts
2218 upvotes
GTEH!
I don't know if this is an option: Can you have the tires shipped to you? Sure it might cost extra $$.

I'm not surprised by people who only see the "bling bling" of a nice car/SUV, only to be brought back to reality when it's time to service/replace parts on the vehicle. Lessons learned the hard way.
😎
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10015 posts
835 upvotes
Toronto
tires can blow up anymoment.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."