Food & Drink

How low do you let your propane tank go to before you take it in for a fillup?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2021 11:57 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16739 posts
11483 upvotes
Markham

How low do you let your propane tank go to before you take it in for a fillup?

Costco charges one price so RFDer in me usually waits until it's empty but that's not always ideal.

I have a tank with gauge sitting on the border of green and yellow.

Curious if most ppl just wait until it's empty or do they take it to be filled it's much lower than where I'm at or lower?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
40 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
5015 posts
5815 upvotes
GTA
Most Costco locations charge per litre. I just filled up yesterday, just over 13 litres at $.79 per litre so $10.44. Last year I think it was $.56 per litre. I haven't paid a per tank price for many years.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16739 posts
11483 upvotes
Markham
tew wrote: Most Costco locations charge per litre. I just filled up yesterday, just over 13 litres at $.79 per litre so $10.44. Last year I think it was $.56 per litre. I haven't paid a per tank price for many years.
Which location?

I just did one at Elgin Mills Richmond Hill and it was $15 all in for a fill. Person said just leave tank and go in and pay.

Maybe some locations have this per litre thing. I've never been given option to pay per litre.

May 28, 2012
11696 posts
4238 upvotes
Saskatoon
gr8dlr wrote: Which location?

I just did one at Elgin Mills Richmond Hill and it was $15 all in for a fill. Person said just leave tank and go in and pay.

Maybe some locations have this per litre thing. I've never been given option to pay per litre.
It's pay per litre here in Saskatoon. Usually a fill is around $10-11.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1625 posts
1626 upvotes
Toronto
I usually let it run super low that the flame starts to get lower...lol.

I got caught a couple times however so eventually bit the bullet bought a second tank with a gauge so now i have 2 tanks. So will no longer have to be concerned about running out with a meal half way done, just pop on my second tank.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Aug 8, 2006
187 posts
58 upvotes
Halifax
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: I usually let it run super low that the flame starts to get lower...lol.

I got caught a couple times however so eventually bit the bullet bought a second tank with a gauge so now i have 2 tanks. So will no longer have to be concerned about running out with a meal half way done, just pop on my second tank.
This. get a 2nd tank and you'll not worry again.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7607 posts
5002 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I just always have 2 tanks so I can empty one and switch it out right away.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1727 upvotes
Clarington, ON
I have multiple tanks. The tank is empty before it gets filled.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18178 posts
1162 upvotes
charcoal/bge here, but back when we had propane i'd have 2 tanks and run the first one dead dry
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1019 posts
263 upvotes
another vote for 2 tanks.

Theres no other option
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20935 posts
19210 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Multiple tanks

We have a good sized back yard and run various propane appliances.

So there’s one tank for each item … plus a standby tank.

If we run out at home we just switch out / move tanks around

Only fill when a tank is empty. Like that Costco charges by the litre.
Much better than paying $ 25 to $ 40 for a fill.

We purposely now take our tanks to Costco
And can fill for around $ 10 - $ 11
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2568 posts
1783 upvotes
Vancouveresque
Another vote for two tanks, but an option that I used before was an adapter hose for the small green propane tank. This might not make sense for most people given how long they (don't) last, but I have a pretty small Weber Q that takes the smaller nozzle natively. Saves on space, but the price of the adapter is probably more than the price of the second tank.
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
5015 posts
5815 upvotes
GTA
gr8dlr wrote: Which location?

Oshawa. Propane tanks are only filled 80% so a fill per liter would be $12.64. Your location is a bit more expense charging $15 a tank.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16739 posts
11483 upvotes
Markham
tew wrote: Oshawa. Propane tanks are only filled 80% so a fill per liter would be $12.64. Your location is a bit more expense charging $15 a tank.
Instead of me going in just to ask...if anyone can chime in. Does the Markham or Richmond HIll locations sell propane by the litre? or is it only a fill price?

Nov 14, 2005
21 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
RH is fill price up to 20lbs....
gr8dlr wrote: Instead of me going in just to ask...if anyone can chime in. Does the Markham or Richmond HIll locations sell propane by the litre? or is it only a fill price?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7874 posts
3742 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I let mine run out before I change tanks (ended up with 4 20 lbers). Ussualy go refill when i have 2 empties which justifies the Costco membership.
GeeCee wrote: Another vote for two tanks, but an option that I used before was an adapter hose for the small green propane tank. This might not make sense for most people given how long they (don't) last, but I have a pretty small Weber Q that takes the smaller nozzle natively. Saves on space, but the price of the adapter is probably more than the price of the second tank.
Have a small portable grill (Napoleon?) left by the previous owners which uses the small green bottles. Only used it once to try it out but I did find at a thrift store or community yard sale an adapter for it to use a standard refillable tanks for an amount some kids wouldn't bother picking up if they saw it as coins on the street.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16739 posts
11483 upvotes
Markham
So I weighed the two tanks I have... I thought they felt somewhat low. Feeling is not scientific though.

One weighed 28lbs and the other weighed 24lbs.

Apparently the weight of the tank is noted on the tank => look for "TW-XX.XLB" Mine says 16.6LB which means the tank without anything in it weights 16.6lbs.

Doing some math...I have 11.4lbs of propane in one and 7.4lbs of propane in the other.

A full 20-pound (9-kilogram) propane tank holds 4.7 gallons (17.8 liters) of propane. If your grill has an output of 32,000 BTUH, you would get approximately 13.5 hours of cook time out of a standard propane tank if you were cooking at maximum heat.

So I think I have a little more than half tank and 1/3rd tank to be conservative.

Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1675 posts
703 upvotes
GTA
So you just ask for so many litre vs a full tank at Costco?

I have 4 tanks... *2 heaters & bbq* and 1 extra
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20935 posts
19210 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ericlewis91 wrote: So you just ask for so many litre vs a full tank at Costco?

I have 4 tanks... *2 heaters & bbq* and 1 extra
Like you we have multiple appliances (see my Rely # 12) so one tank for each … plus a spare

We don’t top up … we go in empty and ask for a fill

Price fluctuates between $ 10 and $ 11 depending on how full the attendant serves the tank

Personally … I am not into increasing the transport of full or partially full tanks around … as they are somewhat dangerous ( in the back of your vehicle ) … so go in empty … and then after the fill, tie them down well, and drive straight home.

Propane is a safe fuel when handled & stored properly … they are however a bomb when not
Have seen the destruction up close on a few occasions

Same reason you should never store a propane tank or use your BBQ in your garage
It actually in most cases NULLIFIES your Home Owner Insurance if it results in a fire or explosion

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)