Home & Garden

How to maintain cold room ventilation avoiding bugs and pests to getting in?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2021 12:09 pm
[OP]
Jul 15, 2020
3 posts
1 upvote

How to maintain cold room ventilation avoiding bugs and pests to getting in?

We have cold room and currently the ventilation pipe is filled with insulation. Inspector suggested to remove insulation to avoid mold, so we are not sure how to maintain ventilation to avoid bugs and pests. Please suggest

Thanks!
13 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1688 posts
1348 upvotes
Chenmahaj wrote: We have cold room and currently the ventilation pipe is filled with insulation. Inspector suggested to remove insulation to avoid mold, so we are not sure how to maintain ventilation to avoid bugs and pests. Please suggest

Thanks!
Install a piece of screen door mesh in each hole. I would also suggest a 1/4" steel hardware cloth fitting tight in the hole to prevent mice/voles in case you keep food in cold room. I assume outside piece is plastic and can be chewed.
What you keep in your heart will take you further than what you keep in your pocket.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1168 posts
250 upvotes
OTTAWA
My cold room has two 4" diameter holes with aluminum mesh covering on the outside. I closed the cold room door in winter time. When winter is over, I leave the door open for ventilation.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8175 posts
2806 upvotes
Maple
Rockymountain wrote: My cold room has two 4" diameter holes with aluminum mesh covering on the outside. I closed the cold room door in winter time. When winter is over, I leave the door open for ventilation.
Just close door but don’t cover the vents to get air in/out avoiding mold built up.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5691 posts
3447 upvotes
Your inspector is correct they should not be closed. Your cold cellar is unconditioned space. Think of it as outside , or at best like your garage. Any food or drinks stored in there should be in sealed container. Bugs will not be an issue and pest like mice cannot get in.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1410 posts
701 upvotes
I covered mine with steel mesh, held securely in place with a ducting clamp.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2542 posts
405 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Sorry to hijack - looking for similar help/info.

We just bought a house with a decent size cold room under the front porch. It had a ton of wood in it (frame for porch above, shelving that was built in there etc).. I noticed it was starting to rot and it was getting very moist on the walls and freezing/frosting. I removed all of the wood for the concrete forming, and the shelving, but I still have a lot of moisture. I feel like it needs better ventilation/circulation? It has two 4" vents. I heard to put duct piping like dryer piping down to the floor on one will help circulate it a lot? I don't mind that its cold in there, but it's not good for storage at the moment which is ideally what we want to do with it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5231 posts
1583 upvotes
cyphon21 wrote: Sorry to hijack - looking for similar help/info.

We just bought a house with a decent size cold room under the front porch. It had a ton of wood in it (frame for porch above, shelving that was built in there etc).. I noticed it was starting to rot and it was getting very moist on the walls and freezing/frosting. I removed all of the wood for the concrete forming, and the shelving, but I still have a lot of moisture. I feel like it needs better ventilation/circulation? It has two 4" vents. I heard to put duct piping like dryer piping down to the floor on one will help circulate it a lot? I don't mind that its cold in there, but it's not good for storage at the moment which is ideally what we want to do with it.
I don't understand this. My parents have 2 cold rooms on either end of the house (40yr old house), both under concrete porches. There is no open ventilation in either room and they both function as I would expect a cold room to function - namely, it's colder than the rest of house, without extreme swings in temperature.

In both of the houses we have owned over the last 10 years (15yrs was the oldest), our cold rooms are ridiculously cold in the winter - like outdoor -20 cold, and absurdly hot and humid in the summer. I cant figure out why they just can't build them like the ones my parents have.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4959 posts
1839 upvotes
This is our cold cellar underneath the front porch - custom built shelving. When we moved in (2016) ... it was NOT even remotely close to what it looks like now. The shelving was really half-a$$ed ...

IMG_20201208_105321.jpg

The ventilation hole was a ventilation hole ... no covering whatsoever (but luckily no sign of bugs, pests, etc when we took ownership of the house. So I made my own mesh covering ...

IMG_20210125_141158.jpg
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Nov 13, 2019
213 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Toukolou wrote: I don't understand this. My parents have 2 cold rooms on either end of the house (40yr old house), both under concrete porches. There is no open ventilation in either room and they both function as I would expect a cold room to function - namely, it's colder than the rest of house, without extreme swings in temperature.

In both of the houses we have owned over the last 10 years (15yrs was the oldest), our cold rooms are ridiculously cold in the winter - like outdoor -20 cold, and absurdly hot and humid in the summer. I cant figure out why they just can't build them like the ones my parents have.
I share the same sentiment. My parent's 50yo house's cold room maintains the perfect temp throughout the year, with no ventilation or anything, while my 5yo house has huge swings in temps throughout the year (with proper ventilation). I'm not sure which one is how cold rooms are intended to function, but I'd very much prefer my parent's
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2542 posts
405 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Toukolou wrote: I don't understand this. My parents have 2 cold rooms on either end of the house (40yr old house), both under concrete porches. There is no open ventilation in either room and they both function as I would expect a cold room to function - namely, it's colder than the rest of house, without extreme swings in temperature.

Depending on the doorway I could imagine is the difference. I have a solid steel door, so when it's closed its sealed off from the rest of the house. I am guessing the moisture is like just there and not going away due to being there prior and just keeps freezing and thawing. I am going to put a small heater fan and see if that helps dry it out. But I've read if I run duct work down to the floor from one of the vents, like a dryer vent, that will help with air circulation.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5231 posts
1583 upvotes
timofeewho wrote: I share the same sentiment. My parent's 50yo house's cold room maintains the perfect temp throughout the year, with no ventilation or anything, while my 5yo house has huge swings in temps throughout the year (with proper ventilation). I'm not sure which one is how cold rooms are intended to function, but I'd very much prefer my parent's
I think the idea is they maintain a relatively steady temperature throughout the year, not the 50 degree swings between summer and winter that we experience. I mean, what can you even keep in a room like that?! Certainly not wine or food. It's ridiculous.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5573 posts
3146 upvotes
Ottawa
To the original point of this thread: I covered mine with a fine stainless steel mesh secured with a ss frame which is secured to the wall with tapcons and sealed with silicone. Anything plastic can be chewed by mice and voles - I speak from experience.

As to where this thread has gone...

A cold storage room which is concrete on all six sides will have pretty stable temperatures from day to day or week to week. Ours is just such a unit - almost 30' long, 4' wide, 7' tall, mostly buried with basically only its roof exposed to the sun - and that exposure is south-facing. Summers, the temps do climb to around 14C and the winter temps fall to around 5C but the day to day fluctuations are negligible - that's the concrete doing its job. I've seen cold storage rooms where it's basically a corner of the basement and, frankly, I wouldn't expect good cold-storage performance out of one of those, even with the interior walls and ceiling insulated.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5231 posts
1583 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: To the original point of this thread: I covered mine with a fine stainless steel mesh secured with a ss frame which is secured to the wall with tapcons and sealed with silicone. Anything plastic can be chewed by mice and voles - I speak from experience.

As to where this thread has gone...

A cold storage room which is concrete on all six sides will have pretty stable temperatures from day to day or week to week. Ours is just such a unit - almost 30' long, 4' wide, 7' tall, mostly buried with basically only its roof exposed to the sun - and that exposure is south-facing. Summers, the temps do climb to around 14C and the winter temps fall to around 5C but the day to day fluctuations are negligible - that's the concrete doing its job. I've seen cold storage rooms where it's basically a corner of the basement and, frankly, I wouldn't expect good cold-storage performance out of one of those, even with the interior walls and ceiling insulated.
Ours is exactly as described - 6 sides concrete, ours is east facing - and we have ridiculous temp fluctuations. What do you think is the reason for this?
Lucky