Food & Drink

How to make Chicken Fried Rice? Real Spicy, and chickeny! one !

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2004 6:25 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box

How to make Chicken Fried Rice? Real Spicy, and chickeny! one !

Hiyas,

One of the asian dishes that I love (that I have tried at this nice upscale pool house in Mississauga) is Chiken Fried Rice? Anyone got step by step instructions for making a

Chicken Fried Rice with some extra spcies! Kinda like Asian Biryani maybe?
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
Chicken fried rice? that's a little general... but here are some tips

I find that when you fry rice, it turns out better if you use rice has been cooled down (i.e. leftovers from last night).

- heat up wok at high temperature
- add oil to wok
- when oil is heated up, add cold rice, spread it out and stir consistently
- add eggs
- continue stirring
- add meat, soy sauce, salt, sugar, spices, or whatever to your liking
- keep stirring until rice is no longer moist

It's just a little rough guide but that's how I do it. Make sure you have the right temperature, you don't want it too high otherwise all your food will turn black.
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
Hairball wrote:I find that when you fry rice, it turns out better if you use rice has been cooled down (i.e. leftovers from last night).

- heat up wok at high temperature
- add oil to wok
- when oil is heated up, add cold rice, spread it out and stir consistently
- add eggs
- continue stirring
- add meat, soy sauce, salt, sugar, spices, or whatever to your liking
- keep stirring until rice is no longer moist
Great suggestion. Definitely used cooled rice, much preferrably over-night old, chilled in the fridge. I usually mix up the order of the egg and the rice. Heat up hot wok and oil, then add a beaten egg to the wok. Half scramble it a little. Once it's nearly half cooked, add the rice. That way, you'll get some shredded egg pieces, and some of teh mixed up in the rice as well. But the wok needs to be really really hot to do that.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2003
1092 posts
Thanks for the info.
Can anyone explain what is wok made of? where can i get it?
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2004
4451 posts
250 upvotes
sk8 wrote:Thanks for the info.
wok

n : metal pan with a convex bottom; used for frying in Chinese cooking

Usually at any department store. ;)
Mar 5, 2003
342 posts
2 upvotes
I have cooked a thai recepie for chicken fried rice. turned out good and a little spicy. simple to do

-first heat up some oil in the wok
-fry up some chopped garlic
-fry up some chicken for a few min till it is white
-the crack open some eggs and fry them up for a few min
-then add some cooked rice
-then pour in some fish sauce, soya sauce, and oyster sauce and mix everything up in the wok. DONT LET YOUR RICE BURN
- then mix in some frozen peas
-take out of the wok and put some pepper and corriander in if u want

then i made a thai hot sauce i dumped on top. which was a combo of lemon juice, chopped up garlic, fish sauce, sugar and about 10 chopped up chillies. But there are TONS of hot sauces in the stores which would probably work great.

Enjoy!
Feb 17, 2004
966 posts
19 upvotes
For sure put the eggs in before the rice, cause if you put the eggs in after, it'll just get all mixed in with the rice.
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5038 posts
504 upvotes
Make sure the cold cooked rice you're using is loose. Basically make sure you don't have chunks of rice that are stuck together or else the fried rice will have those chunks too.
Jun 10, 2004
478 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Frying some chopped up green onion in the oil before putting the rice in gives the fried rice a great aroma.

If you are looking to make the dish spicy, try looking for hot sauce that are made with chili pepper and beans soaked in sesame oil.(Usuallly will not be red in colour like most hot sauce). Use that oil to fry up the chicken strips will give your taste bud that extra kick. :D
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
1447 posts
3 upvotes
What kind/brand of rice do you guys use? My parents only get some korean brand rice and when I make fried rice I always find that the rice is too sticky. I want fried rice like you'd get at a chinese restaurant where each grain is pretty much separate but I have no idea which one to get. Also, how much oil do you guys use?
Jan 25, 2004
292 posts
13 upvotes
shadowfighta wrote:I want fried rice like you'd get at a chinese restaurant where each grain is pretty much separate but I have no idea which one to get.
Correct me if im wrong....i believe they use old rice from the day before to get that result
Sep 22, 2004
539 posts
sk8 wrote:Thanks for the info.
LMAO!!!!

:)

Sorry...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7174 posts
217 upvotes
Nepean
this is how i made my seafood/chicken fried rice

1x bag shrimps
1x bag bay scallop
5x chicken thigh
4cups of Rice (from fridge)
1 bowl of frozen vege (corn, pea, carrot, etc)
3x eggs

First i peek the shrimps and rinse them in cold water a couple of times till the water is clear. I do the same for the scallop as well.

I take out the fat from teh chicken thigh and cut it up in little pieces.

I crack the eggs in a cup and whipped them till they are the same colour

I use a large frying pan since I have no wok :(

I add some oil to the pan heat it up to max, add my shrimps and scallop. Fry it up until semi cook add some chinese wine, garlic salt, stir again and put them in a bowl with the juice

I add the chicken back to the pan and stair fry it. Add a bit of chilli oil and sprinkle a tad of garlic salt. Stir till it's almost done.

Now I drain the seafood stuff so there is no excess watery liquid. Then I dump the shrimps and scallop in tot he chicken and stir stir stir. By then most of the stuff should be cooked. I dump it back in to the bowl.

I clean teh pan a bit with a paper tower. Add some fresh oil. Not a lot. Add my rice in. Stir a bit. Add a bit of oil as needed since it gets dry up. Now add your frozen vege. Stir and mix. Since it's a lot of rice. I separate teh rice to half and put it on a separate bowl. I add half the egg to the rice still in pan. Stir more. Add ab it of salt. Add half the seafood/chicken mix. Stir.

Do that again for the other half.

Now I have lunch for a few days :)
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
1447 posts
3 upvotes
dashit wrote:Correct me if im wrong....i believe they use old rice from the day before to get that result
Nope. This rice that we use will stay stuck together even when refridgerated for a day. In fact it's harder to take it apart when it's cold.
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
17278 posts
73 upvotes
Probably easiest to find at chinese grocery and little appliance stores (eg. T&T supermarket, Big Land, etc.)

Wildfire wrote:wok

n : metal pan with a convex bottom; used for frying in Chinese cooking

Usually at any department store. ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1885 posts
711 upvotes
Toronto
Oh, you can make fried rice with a frying pan...just don't try to toss it!
How I try to save money: Koodo Mobile $29 30GB LTE / Teksavvy rCable $68 150 / Freephoneline $0 / No TV! / Flipp
How I try to make money: Amex Cobalt / GCR / Rakuten / TopCashback / Wealthsimple Mastercard / EQ Bank Mastercard
Jan 25, 2004
292 posts
13 upvotes
shadowfighta wrote:Nope. This rice that we use will stay stuck together even when refridgerated for a day. In fact it's harder to take it apart when it's cold.
most likely ur using the rice similar to the ones in sushi. jap/kor sticky rice generally dont make good fried rice.

most chi restaruants just make fried rice with regular rice. i doubt they would make from premium rice.
Nov 12, 2003
213 posts
4 upvotes
For the chicken I like using precooked chicken because it gives a firmer texture that goes well with the rice.