How to make outside tile steps less slippery

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2018 10:54 am
[OP]
Aug 13, 2017
68 posts
6 upvotes

How to make outside tile steps less slippery

We have some tile steps in our front entryway, and I want to know what options we have for making it less slippery.

I used a product like this https://www.lowes.ca/tapes/skid-guard-a ... =grip-tape but after only a few days it has started peeling off.

Admittedly, I didn't clean in the best, just used a wet wipe and then dry paper towel, although I probably should have brushed it first to remove dirt and dust, and used some sort of floor roller, which I didn't have because I would have to buy.

Is there something that's better, like a tile sealant with a matte finish? Just want to make sure before I go out and buy a laminate countertop roller for $35 and more grip tape.
14 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12337 posts
8763 upvotes
Edmonton
You could try the 3M strips instead; they're available on Amazon. I was also thinking of trying the RustOleum spray. We bought the cheap strips at HD this fall, and they peeled right off.

C
[OP]
Aug 13, 2017
68 posts
6 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: You could try the 3M strips instead; they're available on Amazon. I was also thinking of trying the RustOleum spray. We bought the cheap strips at HD this fall, and they peeled right off.

C
Thanks for the recommendation. I have no doubts that 3M will hold up much better.

Let me know if you try the Rustoleum spray and how it works out.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16533 posts
18096 upvotes
Oakville
Tape is really only going to adhere well if you do it at warm temps, and clean it very well including using acetone or brake cleaner. The same will go for any spray/coating you try.

If you do a sealant, all you need is some sand/grit to sprinkle on it while it's drying.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1285 posts
529 upvotes
North York, ON
^^ engineered has it right. Key for longevity is proper prep.
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
910 upvotes
Toronto
+1 for the sand option. The tape will not last. If done properly the sand treatment works great but I am not sure about tile, I've only ever done it on painted surfaces.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2017
68 posts
6 upvotes
engineered wrote: Tape is really only going to adhere well if you do it at warm temps, and clean it very well including using acetone or brake cleaner. The same will go for any spray/coating you try.

If you do a sealant, all you need is some sand/grit to sprinkle on it while it's drying.
Yeah I had a feeling it would be best in warmer temps...But like many things around the house, I neglected to do it in the summer, or totally forgot because it was less of an issue.

Have you tried the sealant?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1162 posts
654 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Is this a natural stone tile? Or porcelain tile? If it's porcelain, sprays and/or sealers will prematurely fail on this type of surface as it's none porous.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2017
68 posts
6 upvotes
Todd96srv wrote: Loctite Bigfoot anti skid floor coating!
That stuff is legit! Now I just have to convince the wife that the change in the look will be worthwhile.
Dec 4, 2009
339 posts
212 upvotes
Put it down in striped patterns, so it doesn’t hide the tile...
[OP]
Aug 13, 2017
68 posts
6 upvotes
Bianco13 wrote: Is this a natural stone tile? Or porcelain tile? If it's porcelain, sprays and/or sealers will prematurely fail on this type of surface as it's none porous.
If those are the two choices it's definitely porcelain.

Does your comment about sprays or sealers include the Loctite Big Foot?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1162 posts
654 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
ModernDad wrote: If those are the two choices it's definitely porcelain.

Does your comment about sprays or sealers include the Loctite Big Foot?
I'm not familiar with the specs on Loctite Big Foot. I would however advise in contacting the manufacture regarding the application. Big foot as like any other top coating system will need a porous surface that it can bite into and stick. Porcelain tiles are not porous. If you do contact the company, they might recommend grinding the top of the tiled surface where the coating will be applied, for better adhesion.
Dec 4, 2009
339 posts
212 upvotes
Tape it off, scuff it, roll it on. You’ll wait for some warmer temps too.