None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18192 posts
137 upvotes
GTA

How to make real Wonton Noodle in Soup?

Don't think this has been mentioned before. These days I'm making my own Wonton noodle in soup! That's right, I want to make it just like the chinese noodle shops!

Somehow I can't seem to get it exactly right. The closest I've got which tastes alright is using the following :

- fresh uncooked wonton noodle and shrimp wontons from "Chim Jia Gai" noodle shop at Hwy7/West Beaver Creek (I never knew they sold their stuff uncooked until I saw a lady buy a bunch of wontons the other day!)
- fresh chopped green onions
- Campbell's chicken broth
- sesame oil (haven't tried this yet but I bought a small bottle today)
- Boil the wonton noodles, then rinse. Then add everything above plus water and bring to a boil again. The wontons may need to stay in a few minutes longer esp. if from frozen.

Am I doing this right?
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5968 posts
404 upvotes
BC
so you are buying the wontons already made to add to broth? if this is correct and you are just looking for the right taste, this is what i use... knorr wonton soup mix :) its got just the right taste. then i put in the cooked wontons and sprinkle chopped green onion over top. sometimes i add fresh mushroom, just because i love mushrooms!

it comes in a little container. the only place i ever see it is asian stores, not the regular supermarket, but that could just be here.

hope thats what you were looking for.
That's my 2cents worth
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18192 posts
137 upvotes
GTA
Actually I have that too. I used that before trying the chicken broth but it didn't taste as good :(

Also, you know the chopped green onions. I prepared a bowl full and put saran wrap over it, then stuck it in the fridge. And now when I open the fridge, it smells like the green onions. Is that normal? How long does it last in the fridge before going bad? I notice it's a little moist obviously after the washing (they were so dirty and I bought it from an english supermarket, Loblaws!)
Aug 17, 2003
649 posts
22 upvotes
try using. a brand called Swanson(I think) or chicken stock instead. Swasnon is awhite label with green trim. (I think the brand is swanson, it might be something elese, sometimes the can is written in chinese)
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4729 posts
293 upvotes
Ancaster
felix: it doesn't go bad versus just going dry.

Also try using Noodle King noodles. Cheaper and pretty close to street stuff if prepped right. MAKE SURE NOT TO OVERCOOK THESE NOODLES as it's extremely easy to do.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18192 posts
137 upvotes
GTA
I like noodle king too. I figured the fresh or refrigerated ones would be more healthy.
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
5 upvotes
felix wrote:- fresh uncooked wonton noodle and shrimp wontons from "Chim Jia Gai" noodle shop at Hwy7/West Beaver Creek (I never knew they sold their stuff uncooked until I saw a lady buy a bunch of wontons the other day!)
How much did you pay for the wontons and how many did you get?? Jim Jai Gay has huge wontons like ping pong balls which is what I like about them however they do lack in taste. The best wontons in town are at "Jun Jun" down in Scarborough off Glen Watfort Drive. Second I"d put Big Joy up on Highway 7. I love wonton noodle soup!!
"It's a case of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter" - Bret Hart
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7035 posts
88 upvotes
Nepean
i dunno but my mom/dad makes them good and tasty
Sep 20, 2004
122 posts
[QUOTE]Don't think this has been mentioned before. These days I'm making my own Wonton noodle in soup! That's right, I want to make it just like the chinese noodle shops!

Somehow I can't seem to get it exactly right. The closest I've got which tastes alright is using the following :

- fresh uncooked wonton noodle and shrimp wontons from "Chim Jia Gai" noodle shop at Hwy7/West Beaver Creek (I never knew they sold their stuff uncooked until I saw a lady buy a bunch of wontons the other day!)
- fresh chopped green onions
- Campbell's chicken broth
- sesame oil (haven't tried this yet but I bought a small bottle today)
- Boil the wonton noodles, then rinse. Then add everything above plus water and bring to a boil again. The wontons may need to stay in a few minutes longer esp. if from frozen.

Am I doing this right?[/QUOTE]

I went to a George Brown class for Chinese Cuisine just last fall. The method that the teacher took in making the wonton soup was to add a dried fish and shrimp shells to the soup and let it boil in chicken stock to extract the flavour. Then you remove the fish and shells and that's the wonton soup. A little more time consuming but it tasted pretty authentic to me.
What would Quagmire say about all these great deals?

"Giggedy, giggedy, giggedy ... ALLLLLLLL RIGHT"
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4729 posts
293 upvotes
Ancaster
Iron Chef Shanghai wrote:I went to a George Brown class for Chinese Cuisine just last fall. The method that the teacher took in making the wonton soup was to add a dried fish and shrimp shells to the soup and let it boil in chicken stock to extract the flavour. Then you remove the fish and shells and that's the wonton soup. A little more time consuming but it tasted pretty authentic to me.
With a name like that, you know it'll taste good!
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
3332 posts
79 upvotes
Correct me if I'm wrong..
but isn't the noodles also put in the wok for a couple of seconds before they add it to the won ton soup?
It's hard to get the texture of the noodles right.
The RFD Doctrine -
Toronto : Anywhere west of Montreal and east of Calgary.
Scarborough: Anywhere becomes Scarborough if it's a thread about crime.
UrbanPoet: Automatic 1-Star thread starter.
Google: RFD is faster than Google. Make a thread if you need to find out what bus to take.
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
5 upvotes
Blunt wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong..
but isn't the noodles also put in the wok for a couple of seconds before they add it to the won ton soup?
You're wrong. ;)
"It's a case of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter" - Bret Hart
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18192 posts
137 upvotes
GTA
I don't remember how much but the fresh wontons "Jim Jai Gay" sells are either by the dozen or half dozen, and the fresh noodles are $0.75 each. They are softer and taste better than the other ones purchased in grocery stores. I had it yesterday too :-)

Big Joy noodles are good too. :D

BTW, I did try the Swanson brand of chicken broth also, along with a few other cheap looking ones. I still seem to like the Campbell soup brand the best :cheesygri
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18192 posts
137 upvotes
GTA
yeah, I think you may be right. For some reason I can't seem to get the texture right ... which is why I was asking if I'm cooking it "correctly". All I do is I put everything in a pot of boiling water. Somehow it doesn't seem to taste/look the same as in restaurants.

Blunt wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong..
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
5 upvotes
felix wrote:yeah, I think you may be right. For some reason I can't seem to get the texture right ... which is why I was asking if I'm cooking it "correctly". All I do is I put everything in a pot of boiling water. Somehow it doesn't seem to taste/look the same as in restaurants.
They don't put the noodles in no wok or whatever. There's a trick to cooking the noodles. You need to dip the noodles in and out, in and out. Don't cook the noodles for more than 30 seconds.