• Jul 14th, 2020 2:32 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2213 posts
1561 upvotes
SW Ontario
Interesting thread, while we have been making general energy improvements, this made me dig out our bill folder and look closer.

- Family of 5 (3 teenagers)
- SW Ontario
- 1971 4-level side
- 1700 sqft
- Gas furnace, dryer, stove, water heater
- All LED lighting except garage & laundry, still T-8s
- Just replaced 20+ year old refrigerator, microwave, and dishwasher, so hoping to see some minor drop.
- Attached single garage, insulated, used as workshop electric oil heater @ 60F
- Small bedroom over entrance needs better floor insulation, runs electric oil filled heater during cold months to keep @ 72F

Current past year usage average over 365 days was 27Kw/day ...
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Mar 7, 2011
109 posts
7 upvotes
Winnipeg
Looking for help with a rough guess of my usage for a year/month.

I live in a studio/bachelor apartment in Winnipeg. I have never payed a separate hydro bill, I've always had 'all inclusive'.
I need to figure out what my electricity usage is for an assignment. Could anyone give me a ball park figure of what your usage looks like for something similar?

-single person in medium sized bach. apartment.
-LED lights
-No dishwasher, limited oven/microwave use.
-limited small appliance use, aka no coffee or toaster, occasional blender or instantpot use. 0-3x a week.
-Stove use for maybe 5 hours a week.
-Laundry in basement, maybe 7 loads a month?
-Never watch tv, but use internet/laptop/screen roughly 3-5 hours a day.

All appliances/heat ect. is electric. I barely use the heat in the winter, as I'm upper floor, and for all but the coldest two months, it's warm from the apartments below/beside me. I use air conditioning for maybe half the summer when it's really hot, only in the evenings/overnight.

Looking for a rough ball park for what this might look like. I don't have a clue where to start!
Thanks!
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16932 posts
6107 upvotes
Aqueya wrote: Looking for help with a rough guess of my usage for a year/month.

I live in a studio/bachelor apartment in Winnipeg. I have never payed a separate hydro bill, I've always had 'all inclusive'.
I need to figure out what my electricity usage is for an assignment. Could anyone give me a ball park figure of what your usage looks like for something similar?

-single person in medium sized bach. apartment.
-LED lights
-No dishwasher, limited oven/microwave use.
-limited small appliance use, aka no coffee or toaster, occasional blender or instantpot use. 0-3x a week.
-Stove use for maybe 5 hours a week.
-Laundry in basement, maybe 7 loads a month?
-Never watch tv, but use internet/laptop/screen roughly 3-5 hours a day.

All appliances/heat ect. is electric. I barely use the heat in the winter, as I'm upper floor, and for all but the coldest two months, it's warm from the apartments below/beside me. I use air conditioning for maybe half the summer when it's really hot, only in the evenings/overnight.

Looking for a rough ball park for what this might look like. I don't have a clue where to start!
Thanks!
It can't be done. Electricity usage varies probably about 5x at 6 standard deviations.
That said you can measure your usage for anything that plugs in with a kill a watt, available from amazon and in Ontario (which your profile says your not) from many local libraries.

What i can tell you
For most items you can check its label for wattage use though that should be peak usage which is not always what you use.

LED bulbs, typically 8-15W each times number of hours, check each bulb and count how many hours you use all of them.
Microwave 700-1500W times number of hours of use
Blender or instant pot. No idea. You can check its wattage rating on the back but thats usually peak usage.
Stove depends what type (induction/gas/electric) wattage of elements and oven and number of hours a day
Laundry, My experience is about 200-500Wh/load (but who knows what model you have), dryer 4-6kWh/load if conventional
Laptop, 20-100W per hour, tablet and cell phone probably 10-30Wh/charge assuming 2500-7000mAh battery and a full discharge
Fridges can use 0.75-10kW/day
Vacuums are all over the spectrum. Standard outlets at 15A fuses can deliver 1800W though most plug in appliances are designed to max out closer to 1500W.

You have have much incidental usage your not accounting for. Virtually guaranteed.

Electric heat ads up insanely quickly. Hot water is also energy intensive. A/C can add up quickly as well
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2724 posts
902 upvotes
Windsor
Go to a neighbour and ask them what their usage is; try to pick someone who you might might have similar behaviour to you (a girl, single, cooks at home, etc).

Won't be exact, but it will be much closer than we can guess.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3344 posts
518 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
For the month of May pulled off a record low with an average just under 3 kWh per day. Includes mowing the lawn, laundry, as i recollect a very modest amount of cooking, TV, occasional use of surround sound system, computer, tablet, smartphone, vacuuming, fridge, freezer etc, all the usual.

Furnace powered off all of May except one overnight session, laundry dried outdoors, mainly used microwave for heating food. Also unplugged satellite receivers when not in use and tried to siphon off vampire loads.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16932 posts
6107 upvotes
fergy wrote: For the month of May pulled off a record low with an average just under 3 kWh per day. Includes mowing the lawn, laundry, as i recollect a very modest amount of cooking, TV, occasional use of surround sound system, computer, tablet, smartphone, vacuuming, fridge, freezer etc, all the usual.

Furnace powered off all of May except one overnight session, laundry dried outdoors, mainly used microwave for heating food. Also unplugged satellite receivers when not in use and tried to siphon off vampire loads.
Very impressive
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2724 posts
902 upvotes
Windsor
fergy wrote: For the month of May pulled off a record low with an average just under 3 kWh per day. Includes mowing the lawn, laundry, as i recollect a very modest amount of cooking, TV, occasional use of surround sound system, computer, tablet, smartphone, vacuuming, fridge, freezer etc, all the usual.

Impressive. I think my GF's blowdrying/curling/straightening alone is 3kWh per day ;).
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4633 posts
2013 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I'm looking at my warm weather power bills (heat pump has been off for over 2 months). Usage varies between 4 and 24 KWh when that's off. 4 (or even below 10) KWh is abnormally low and that was when we were gone and had a house (or rather cat) sitter who was working some of the time and apparently did/does not cook anything or even boils water for a hot beverage.

Monthly power consumption is as high as 2 MWh in winter (this past February) and as low as 500 KWh (this past May and June) for a 2 person 2 cat household in a 4,000 s.f. house (we're in most of the time).

We make everything (very little in the way or processed or precooked foods) for all our meals which is probably the big power user, and make bread in the oven at least once of twice a week. Do have 3 gas burners in addition to the 2 electric elements. We tend to use the electric elements most of the time.

Have a fridge (only) and a chest freezer because the afore-mentioned fridge has no freezer. Dishwasher is only run when full and never with heated dry. That's used less than once per day on average (I think every 1.7-2.3 days?) but that's also an old habit of over a decade.

Have an older front load washing machine (controls are those used in a manual dial top loader). and rarely use the dryer. We find a way to air dry bed sheets even in the winter.

We're on the power utility's challenge to reduce usage and have currently reduced consumption by 26% (goal is 14 MWh (90% of previous year's use). LED/CFL lights were not a major factor as we had replaced most of the incandescent bulbs with LEDS and CFLs in the first few months of occupancy (can't enroll in the challenge - which provides a huge reward of .... $50 until you've been in the house for at least full year). Other potential power-consumption changes that occurred 1 and 2 months into the challenge were, respectively, change of HW heater from an electric 60 IG Giant tank to a 42 IG Rheem plastic tank (supposed to have 3" foam insulation), and increase of attic insulation from ~R8-20 (due to compression/movement due to work done before we bought the place) to ~R-55. Power consumption prior to attic insulation was down substantially. A few other factors over previous year was better insulation of doors (4 french doors + 1 entry door with air leakage various issues) and light tunnels (essentially blocked off warm air rising into the light tunnels.

A second challenge will likely be more difficult unless we change the heat pump (not a very good Carrier unit, which may be better suited to cooling than heating). I am in the process of changing the air handler motor from a PSC one to a ECM (had the latter installed but it fried when I tried to get it to auto-calibrate).
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Mar 15, 2017
41 posts
23 upvotes
- Family of 4 (1 teenager)
- SW Ontario
- 2003 two storey house (Reid's Heritage - builder)
- 1900 sqft
- Gas furnace, 2 ton A/C, electric dryer, electric stove, Navien tankless
- All LED lighting
- Attached double garage, spray foam insulated on party wall between garage and house
- Master bedroom above garage floor was spray foamed when party wall was done

Current past year usage average over 365 days was 22 kw/day ...
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16932 posts
6107 upvotes
colynp wrote: - Family of 4 (1 teenager)
- SW Ontario
- 2003 two storey house (Reid's Heritage - builder)
- 1900 sqft
- Gas furnace, 2 ton A/C, electric dryer, electric stove, Navien tankless
- All LED lighting
- Attached double garage, spray foam insulated on party wall between garage and house
- Master bedroom above garage floor was spray foamed when party wall was done

Current past year usage average over 365 days was 22 kw/day ...
~671kWh/month, less then the average in Ontario which was about 800kWh/month (outdated i suspect).
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2586 posts
1071 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm surprised this thread is not more lively with the OEB rates that went up in Nov 2019.
https://www.oeb.ca/rates-and-your-bill/ ... city-rates

The change of billing from every 60days to every 30days definitely hid some of the higher hydro cost for me. When I look at the stats my average for the last 3 months is up compared to thesame period for the last three years. As an example this is my daily average for the last 3 months compared to a year ago.

January - 17.04kWh vs 14.55kWh
December - 22.14kWh vs 15.56kWh
November - 13.91kWh vs 11.59kWh

My year to year usage used to be constant but something has definitely changed in my house. February will definitely be higher too because I chose this month to switch my oven from NG to Electric and add a beverage refrigerator that was on sale :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2724 posts
902 upvotes
Windsor
bubuski wrote: I'm surprised this thread is not more lively with the OEB rates that went up in Nov 2019.
I didn't even know until you mentioned it; I guess my complete avoidance of news is working well ;).

I've dropped my home's idle usage to 105-110w, further reduction is too expensive. I have my daily usage in the 7kWh range, and I could reduce by about 0.5kWh by turning off my Hue/outdoor night lights, but I don't want to. Heavy hitters (idle) are all of my Internet things (wifi/router/modem/computer/switch/home automation); idle is 13w without them :). Heavy hitters generally is furnace, fridge, GF's hair.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3447 posts
1738 upvotes
Waterloo
ChubChub wrote: I didn't even know until you mentioned it; I guess my complete avoidance of news is working well ;).

I've dropped my home's idle usage to 105-110w, further reduction is too expensive. I have my daily usage in the 7kWh range, and I could reduce by about 0.5kWh by turning off my Hue/outdoor night lights, but I don't want to. Heavy hitters (idle) are all of my Internet things (wifi/router/modem/computer/switch/home automation); idle is 13w without them :). Heavy hitters generally is furnace, fridge, GF's hair.
Seems to me like you should get rid of the GF (or her hair)
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4633 posts
2013 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
crystallight wrote: Seems to me like you should get rid of the GF (or her hair)
Nah, get her a heat-pump hair dryer.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16932 posts
6107 upvotes
crystallight wrote: Seems to me like you should get rid of the GF (or her hair)
Solar power would easily solve this 'problem'
thriftshopper wrote: Nah, get her a heat-pump hair dryer.