• Jul 14th, 2020 2:32 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2724 posts
902 upvotes
Windsor
crystallight wrote: Seems to me like you should get rid of the GF (or her hair)
The former option is more workable than the latter. Regardless, the $5/mo her hair is costing me in electrons (max) is no biggie.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10809 posts
7140 upvotes
GTA, ON
16-20kWh/day depending on the season.

Typically higher in the winter because of Christmas lights, house lights, and generally staying in-doors watching TV.
Summer tends to be less unless there is a heatwave and I have to run the AC constantly, but generally, mild summers have windows open, less TV as I'm outside doing extracurricular, and less dryer use as clothes are hung out to dry.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Dec 30, 2019
36 posts
18 upvotes
Here's a funny one.

I moved into my suite in 2013, hydro has been very reasonable. 5-9kWh/day with baseboard heat. I run my toaster, kettle, and stove pretty much every single day but beyond that it's just the lighting (all LED), phone chargers, laptop chargers and a 43" LED TV (no DVR, consoles etc), Hot water is gas fired and shared. There's a shared laundry room which I was asked to use sparingly as it is on the upstairs meter. I had no problem with that, I do one load a week and hang dry half of my stuff as is but I found the dryer hardly worked at all so I didn't use it unless I had to. Half way through 2019 it completely quit working and it was replaced with a bigger refurbished unit that gets very toasty. I figured if it worked, I might as well use it but since then I have noticed a 30% increase in my energy consumption. 30% isn't much when you average 9kWh/day through winter but I couldn't think of what it might be. Then I noticed a pattern, every time I did laundry I'd nearly double my consumption for that day, I could narrow it right to the hour too so there's no question what's causing that. There's no breakers for the W/D on my panel which leads me to believe the sub panel in the garage is actually running off my meter! This whole time I had felt guilty every time I used the dryer only to find I have been paying for it all along! :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4040 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
Family of four (young children), very old (and poorly insulated) semi of about 1,400 sq ft plus basement, we use 20-25 kWh per day most of the time and much more in the summer when the AC is on.

We leave our furnace fan on whenever we're home, to help even out temperatures in the house -- I estimate that this alone accounts for 6-7 kWh of daily usage vs. leaving the fan on "auto" mode.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3344 posts
518 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
JHW wrote: Family of four (young children), very old (and poorly insulated) semi of about 1,400 sq ft plus basement, we use 20-25 kWh per day most of the time and much more in the summer when the AC is on.

We leave our furnace fan on whenever we're home, to help even out temperatures in the house -- I estimate that this alone accounts for 6-7 kWh of daily usage vs. leaving the fan on "auto" mode.
Ductwork in the basement near the furnace can have adjustable flow diverters or whatever they call them. They adjust the amount of heat flow and are there to help even out temperatures. You might want to have a look.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4040 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
fergy wrote: Ductwork in the basement near the furnace can have adjustable flow diverters or whatever they call them. They adjust the amount of heat flow and are there to help even out temperatures. You might want to have a look.
Unfortunately we don't have any adjustable components in the ductwork at all. I wish we did.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4621 posts
2009 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
JHW wrote: We leave our furnace fan on whenever we're home, to help even out temperatures in the house -- I estimate that this alone accounts for 6-7 kWh of daily usage vs. leaving the fan on "auto" mode.
If it is an older furnace single-speed and you're somewhat handy, consider getting a Mars Azure motor (which you can take if you sell and move, or take if you replace the furnace). What you can do is get a relay (cheap) to make it more efficient. Tap in the relay to the heat call switch (or cool call too perhaps if you have a 3-way relay?). Connect the low speed tap normally off (or is it on) pole with the fan on but no heat (or cold) call, you get low speed for circulation. When there is a heat or cold call, the relay turns on the appropriate speed tap (perhaps low-med or medium for heat, and if you have one for cool, medium or medium high).

Not sure how long i ever it will take to pay back though.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4334 posts
550 upvotes
Messed Up Area
theguyz wrote:
Update for past 2 weeks:

* Past 2 Weekdays August, 6
* AVG 17.543 kWh

* Past Month Weekends August 6
* AVG 23.0875 kWh

So we have managed to save 5 kWh on weekdays so far, still want to take it down another 1.5 kWh

And have saved almost 5kWh on weekends, taking it down another 3 kWh maybe difficult....

So in essence, we have dropped 5 kWh a day on usage, which over 30 days = 150 kWh reduced and over year 1825 kWh

As asked, our fridge still AVG's out at 96-98 watts an hour, and washer on heavy cycles runs 158 and on normal runs 122 watts.

As for fans, I have just setup a stringify flow that when temp above 24 turn on fans and when temp drops below 22 turn off fans, I'll have to see how effective this is versus setting up a timed scheduled on/off.

Biggest opstical is forgetting to turn off lights in unused area's......this could easily save 40-80 watts hourly easily!!
theguyz wrote: After 5 weeks

- AVG Weekday Daily 18.31 kWh
- AVG Weekend Daily 23.365

Not where we aimed to be, but civic holiday took a toll on weekday and 2 sick days where someone was home using more stuff.

Weekends are getting tough as seems to be raining past few weekends and unable to dry clothes outside, and drying on rack in basement is humid and would need to run dehumidifier which runs at 530 watts + over a days period would mean alot cheaper to still use clothes dryer @ 5 kWh usage.

But with current hydro bill in, we managed to reduce over 120 kWh from our normal usage and with delivery rates/etc... saved approximately $18 off electric bill. So in 2 months the $27 energy smart plug will have paid for itself.
So a mega update, on our savings objective, these posts where from 2018 above..

1stly we had a family emergency with in-laws and fire and they lived with us for a year, so our house was running 24/7 for 2019. With the extra usage we have averything break and needed almost everything replaced. We had out hotwater tank die and replace with a LP tank. Washer died, dryer died, stand up freezer died...all replaced.

And we added a bar fridge to electrical usage.

With inlaws living with us 2019

Weekly daily average was around 15.3 kWh
Weekend average daily was around 17.5 kWh

Now with the 2 of us
Weekly daily average was around 12 kWh
Weekend average daily was around 18.5 kwh ( we missed year of house maintenace and clean up, as house was to crowded, so this will go down as cleaning and reno's coming to end ).

So we surpassed our objective but took extra time of 16 kWh weekday and 20 kWh weekend.

Now I think I want to be greedy and get down to 10 kWh daily and 15 kWh weekends. Reality is with hydro one's latest rates, we will not see any real financial savings with this drop as all non-peak hours is our majority of usage.

The biggest consumption is the dryer, which is used for a load during week and 3-4 time on weekends. But its only drawing 3 kWh when used. But with spring coming, laundry line will make it only a 1-2 loads per week runtime.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2724 posts
902 upvotes
Windsor
theguyz wrote: Now I think I want to be greedy and get down to 10 kWh daily and 15 kWh weekends. Reality is with hydro one's latest rates, we will not see any real financial savings with this drop as all non-peak hours is our majority of usage.

The biggest consumption is the dryer, which is used for a load during week and 3-4 time on weekends. But its only drawing 3 kWh when used. But with spring coming, laundry line will make it only a 1-2 loads per week runtime.
1st off: sounds like 2019 was quite the year; that's a lot of bad luck for 12 months. Hope 2020 is better :D.

Now, why do you have so much day-time consumption? Are you home all day? If you're only at like 12kWh/day now, and most of that is during peak hours, that's a very odd distribution.

Also, the hydro rate increase looks like it was substantial, but in the end it's not a big deal, since your "Ontario Energy Rebate" will be substantially more than the "8% Provincial Rebate" (Hydro One may have called them something else). In my case, the price increase is somewhere around inflation, as we would expect.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4334 posts
550 upvotes
Messed Up Area
ChubChub wrote: 1st off: sounds like 2019 was quite the year; that's a lot of bad luck for 12 months. Hope 2020 is better :D.

Now, why do you have so much day-time consumption? Are you home all day? If you're only at like 12kWh/day now, and most of that is during peak hours, that's a very odd distribution.

Also, the hydro rate increase looks like it was substantial, but in the end it's not a big deal, since your "Ontario Energy Rebate" will be substantially more than the "8% Provincial Rebate" (Hydro One may have called them something else). In my case, the price increase is somewhere around inflation, as we would expect.
Thanks hopefully 2020 will be better :p

Currently our current draw is averaging 350 watts standby every hour ( this be, fridge, bar fridge , freezer, furnace fan( its a ecm and tried off rather than 24/7 and saw no noticible difference in watts used ), network and security( 50-60 watts ), and sub pump, maybe missing a few bigger draws( i know landline, pvr's, etc... are pretty low at 2-3 watts each but all add up) ) That brings to 8.4 kWh.

The other 3-4, is lighting, toaster, kuerig and kettle, watching TV after work, microwave and kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans, pc's
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2585 posts
1070 upvotes
Mississauga
What kind of consumption are you all seeing during the lockdown? Last 30 days from March 20th to April 18th. I'm a little shocked at mine since it more than doubled and March/April are my lowest usage months of each year.

2020 total consumed = 517.94kWh
2020 daily average = 17.26kWh

Compared to the last 3 years...

2019 total consumed = 222.34kWh 341.35kWh
2019 daily average = 7.41kWh (11.37kWh)

2018 total consumed = 184.89kWh 277.78kWh
2018 daily average = 6.16kWh 9.26kWh

2017 total consumed = 221.63kWh 324.79kWh
2017 daily average = 7.39kWh 10.83kWh

These months usually had minimal HVAC heating or cooling demand and maybe 5-7 days while away on vacation in previous years. My wife and I worked from home in previous years but the kids were usually in daycare/school during the day. Other major change was we switched from natural gas to electric cooking in 2020 but I am still shocked at the increase.
Gotta dive into it in more detail and see how I can turn down the consumption.

edit. I miscalculated my previous years. 2020 usage in my utility history is recorded as off peak only due to covid-19, I made an error and only look at the off-peak usage of previous years
Last edited by bubuski on Apr 21st, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14904 posts
15770 upvotes
Oakville
bubuski wrote: What kind of consumption are you all seeing during the lockdown? Last 30 days from March 20th to April 18th. I'm a little shocked at mine since it more than doubled and March/April are my lowest usage months of each year.

2020 total consumed = 517.94kWh
2020 daily average = 17.26kWh

Compared to the last 3 years...

2019 total consumed = 222.34kWh
2019 daily average = 7.41kWh

2018 total consumed = 184.89kWh
2018 daily average = 6.16kWh

2017 total consumed = 221.63kWh
2017 daily average = 7.39kWh

These months usually had minimal HVAC heating or cooling demand and maybe 5-7 days while away on vacation in previous years. My wife and I worked from home in previous years but the kids were usually in daycare/school during the day. Other major change was we switched from natural gas to electric cooking in 2020 but I am still shocked at the increase.
Gotta dive into it in more detail and see how I can turn down the consumption.
The good news is that it's always off peak pricing. Here's some ideas.
Dry clothes on a line outside.
Turn lights off during daytime.
Watch less TV or lower the brightness.
Turn computers off rather than leaving them on.

I've only had a slight increase in energy usage, and the weekend peaks of laundry usage is down as it's more spread out through the week now.

Compared to last year I'm actually down quite a bit in usage, but that only includes a couple weeks of lockdown. It's also much warmer so less furnace.
Last edited by engineered on Apr 20th, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2585 posts
1070 upvotes
Mississauga
The cheaper hydro rates are definitely welcomed and we are still under 20kWh per day so not panicking yet but the increase was definitely unexpected.

I don't think our increase is laundry related since we have a gas dryer and are not really doing more laundry than previous years. I really suspect our increase is from cooking and TV time which I plan to monitor more closely.

We eat a lot more freshly made hot meals for breakfast(eggs, pancakes, bacon) and lunch. Previously one kid ate breakfast at the daycare and the other was content with cereal and milk before school. Adults had toast and beverage. Lunch has a similar change too...kids ate away from home and I mostly survived on leftovers re-heated in the microwave. Now we are cooking full meals every lunch and baking every other day :facepalm: . For dinner while there is no habit change we did switch from gas to induction which consumes alot more electricity. Induction can save time when cooking pasta but still takes just as long to simmer a good sauce.

Kids are also watching a lot more TV. Got to work and cant really send them outside unsupervised so TV time that was previously less than 2 hours per day is now a lot more. Once the kids are in bed I've also been gaming alot more for an additional 2-3 hours per day...previously may be once or twice a month. I use a 65" 4K TV and PS4 Pro which is probably not on the efficient side.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4621 posts
2009 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
bubuski wrote: The cheaper hydro rates are definitely welcomed and we are still under 20kWh per day so not panicking yet but the increase was definitely unexpected.

I don't think our increase is laundry related since we have a gas dryer and are not really doing more laundry than previous years. I really suspect our increase is from cooking and TV time which I plan to monitor more closely.

We eat a lot more freshly made hot meals for breakfast(eggs, pancakes, bacon) and lunch. Previously one kid ate breakfast at the daycare and the other was content with cereal and milk before school. Adults had toast and beverage. Lunch has a similar change too...kids ate away from home and I mostly survived on leftovers re-heated in the microwave. Now we are cooking full meals every lunch and baking every other day :facepalm: . For dinner while there is no habit change we did switch from gas to induction which consumes alot more electricity. Induction can save time when cooking pasta but still takes just as long to simmer a good sauce.

Kids are also watching a lot more TV. Got to work and cant really send them outside unsupervised so TV time that was previously less than 2 hours per day is now a lot more. Once the kids are in bed I've also been gaming alot more for an additional 2-3 hours per day...previously may be once or twice a month. I use a 65" 4K TV and PS4 Pro which is probably not on the efficient side.
You should be saving quite a bit eliminating outside food purchases (dining out/meals out cost) unless that was provided for free. All a trade off. My wife and I haven't changed our habits other than we go for groceries only once a week instead of 2-3x. Power consumption is varies mainly with heating (heat pump) and whether the oven is on or not that day (bread making).

Go LED if you haven't done that already.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2585 posts
1070 upvotes
Mississauga
thriftshopper wrote: You should be saving quite a bit eliminating outside food purchases (dining out/meals out cost) unless that was provided for free. All a trade off. My wife and I haven't changed our habits other than we go for groceries only once a week instead of 2-3x. Power consumption is varies mainly with heating (heat pump) and whether the oven is on or not that day (bread making).

Go LED if you haven't done that already.
I wish there was a sizable saving from not eating out but we previously only ate out about once a week. Breakfast at Cora on Saturday which the kids loved and probably explains why they crave the daily breakfast now that they are at home. Our weekday cooking went from once a day to three times a day...with baking. All that with the kids stuck indoors adds the extra 10kWh to the daily consumption. I know the house is pretty efficient looking at the comparison from previous years.