• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2020 2:32 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16926 posts
6103 upvotes
bubuski wrote: What kind of consumption are you all seeing during the lockdown? Last 30 days from March 20th to April 18th. I'm a little shocked at mine since it more than doubled and March/April are my lowest usage months of each year.

2020 total consumed = 517.94kWh
2020 daily average = 17.26kWh

Compared to the last 3 years...

2019 total consumed = 222.34kWh
2019 daily average = 7.41kWh

2018 total consumed = 184.89kWh
2018 daily average = 6.16kWh

2017 total consumed = 221.63kWh
2017 daily average = 7.39kWh

These months usually had minimal HVAC heating or cooling demand and maybe 5-7 days while away on vacation in previous years. My wife and I worked from home in previous years but the kids were usually in daycare/school during the day. Other major change was we switched from natural gas to electric cooking in 2020 but I am still shocked at the increase.
Gotta dive into it in more detail and see how I can turn down the consumption.
If you have a kill a watt or similar energy meter use it to test the TV and video game and even hair dryer (if used extra). Use a cumulative few days per item as energy consumption can rise and drop depending on action or loud or slow scenes. Also note how many hours a day each is getting used. In fact test everything you own in the house over time. The meters are probably not as hoarded as everything else, though amazon might be slow at delivering it if they have any. If it were not for the virus i would say your local library may have one for lending...
The stove is hard to quantify since it does not use a 120V plug you can test, You can buy a clamp meter, or a whole house energy monitor and test each element/oven. Also you can contact the manufacturer and see if they have numbers for you and track with a timer exactly how many minutes a day your using it.
Also your utility may have real time or daily numbers, sometimes online, or your meter might be able to be read by the naked eye.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14904 posts
15770 upvotes
Oakville
bubuski wrote: The cheaper hydro rates are definitely welcomed and we are still under 20kWh per day so not panicking yet but the increase was definitely unexpected.

I don't think our increase is laundry related since we have a gas dryer and are not really doing more laundry than previous years. I really suspect our increase is from cooking and TV time which I plan to monitor more closely.

We eat a lot more freshly made hot meals for breakfast(eggs, pancakes, bacon) and lunch. Previously one kid ate breakfast at the daycare and the other was content with cereal and milk before school. Adults had toast and beverage. Lunch has a similar change too...kids ate away from home and I mostly survived on leftovers re-heated in the microwave. Now we are cooking full meals every lunch and baking every other day :facepalm: . For dinner while there is no habit change we did switch from gas to induction which consumes alot more electricity. Induction can save time when cooking pasta but still takes just as long to simmer a good sauce.

Kids are also watching a lot more TV. Got to work and cant really send them outside unsupervised so TV time that was previously less than 2 hours per day is now a lot more. Once the kids are in bed I've also been gaming alot more for an additional 2-3 hours per day...previously may be once or twice a month. I use a 65" 4K TV and PS4 Pro which is probably not on the efficient side.
Unless you already worked from home, there's a good chance your offsetting the costs by not driving so much to work and kids activities.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2585 posts
1070 upvotes
Mississauga
engineered wrote: Unless you already worked from home, there's a good chance your offsetting the costs by not driving so much to work and kids activities.
Yeah we both worked from home previously. The Lockdown savings from no daycare cost is huge though and offsets all our extra costs.
Quentin5 wrote: If you have a kill a watt or similar energy meter use it to test the TV and video game and even hair dryer (if used extra). Use a cumulative few days per item as energy consumption can rise and drop depending on action or loud or slow scenes. Also note how many hours a day each is getting used. In fact test everything you own in the house over time. The meters are probably not as hoarded as everything else, though amazon might be slow at delivering it if they have any. If it were not for the virus i would say your local library may have one for lending...
The stove is hard to quantify since it does not use a 120V plug you can test, You can buy a clamp meter, or a whole house energy monitor and test each element/oven. Also you can contact the manufacturer and see if they have numbers for you and track with a timer exactly how many minutes a day your using it.
Also your utility may have real time or daily numbers, sometimes online, or your meter might be able to be read by the naked eye.
That is my plan. Alectra has the usage but has a 24 hour delay. I also have a whole home monitor connected to my meter so time to start tracking real time hourly usage again.

All my comsumption alerts were erased when I replaced my meter in January so I'm also adding those back in now.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16926 posts
6103 upvotes
bubuski wrote:
That is my plan. Alectra has the usage but has a 24 hour delay. I also have a whole home monitor connected to my meter so time to start tracking real time hourly usage again.

All my comsumption alerts were erased when I replaced my meter in January so I'm also adding those back in now.
24 hour delay is kinda annoying but still something.
Your whole house monitor can help with the stove, first you have to shut everything down, furnace, fridge, and every other phantom load (of which you likely have many, big and small). You could do this manually or at the fuse box. Then run your stove, test each element for a few mins to get stable readings, and then the oven, Then try combinations you use frequently, two elements, elements and oven and so forth. Time how much you use the stove per day, your cell phone will work fine.
You can also buy a clamp meter from CT and move your stove to access the wire, assuming you can get it from CT safely, but why bother.
Also test your furnace the same way by shutting everything else down.
My whole house meter only gave 100W increments, its not perfect but good enough.

With the kill a watt test everything in your home. For intermittent items like the fridge leave it plugged in for a week. Though many items will be the same as no lockdown, its always good to know where your energy is going.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2724 posts
902 upvotes
Windsor
bubuski wrote: What kind of consumption are you all seeing during the lockdown? Last 30 days from March 20th to April 18th. I'm a little shocked at mine since it more than doubled and March/April are my lowest usage months of each year.

2020 total consumed = 517.94kWh
2020 daily average = 17.26kWh

Compared to the last 3 years...

2019 total consumed = 222.34kWh
2019 daily average = 7.41kWh

2018 total consumed = 184.89kWh
2018 daily average = 6.16kWh

2017 total consumed = 221.63kWh
2017 daily average = 7.39kWh

These months usually had minimal HVAC heating or cooling demand and maybe 5-7 days while away on vacation in previous years. My wife and I worked from home in previous years but the kids were usually in daycare/school during the day. Other major change was we switched from natural gas to electric cooking in 2020 but I am still shocked at the increase.
Gotta dive into it in more detail and see how I can turn down the consumption.
Messing around with TV/monitor brightness has a HUGE impact on power consumption (relative, obviously). I switched to LED monitors some time ago, so the difference isn't as dramatic with that backlight type, but it was with my older CCFL backlit screen. I also have a 60" plasma TV that consumes like 4x what my 50"ish LED does, so if you have the option, you might want to push your higher consumption to a thriftier device.

Outside of that, cooking does consume a lot. How high was your consumption in, say, October? Did you have your induction cooker back then? Monthly power consumption should be similar (generally) between those months, so if you had the induction cooker back then, that would be a pretty good month to compare to see how much being home impacted your consumption.

I always worked from home, so I have had a negligible impact on my power consumption (in fact, it has reduced, since I have been re-inspired to look for efficiencies). The GF still works, but I am now cooking every day out of boredom (no bars).
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2585 posts
1070 upvotes
Mississauga
ChubChub wrote: Messing around with TV/monitor brightness has a HUGE impact on power consumption (relative, obviously). I switched to LED monitors some time ago, so the difference isn't as dramatic with that backlight type, but it was with my older CCFL backlit screen. I also have a 60" plasma TV that consumes like 4x what my 50"ish LED does, so if you have the option, you might want to push your higher consumption to a thriftier device.

Outside of that, cooking does consume a lot. How high was your consumption in, say, October? Did you have your induction cooker back then? Monthly power consumption should be similar (generally) between those months, so if you had the induction cooker back then, that would be a pretty good month to compare to see how much being home impacted your consumption.

I always worked from home, so I have had a negligible impact on my power consumption (in fact, it has reduced, since I have been re-inspired to look for efficiencies). The GF still works, but I am now cooking every day out of boredom (no bars).
Induction cooktop was added in February but damn...I just took a look at October and noticed a rookie mistake that I made when calculating my previous numbers. 2020 lockdown usage is offpeak only and I caught myself only comparing offpeak usage of previous years. My excel formula did not capture all.

These are my corrected numbers for March 20th to April 18th that includes on, mid and off peak.

517.94kWh (17.26kWh per day)

341.35kWh (11.37kWh per day)

277.78kWh (9.26kWh per day)

324.79kWh (10.83kWh per day)

My October usage came in at came in at 407.19kWh (13.57kWh per day) but that includes my extensive Halloween display(lights and fog machine) which I run for about 1 week before Halloween.

Overall there is an increase but it's actually is not "over double" as I calculated before.
Breaking down some of my more used devices, I noticed my PS4 pro consumes about 140 watts, 2 hours of just dance for the kids in the afternoon and 3 hours of my game time in the evening easily adds 0.7kWh to the day just for the PS4. TV is LED but still pulls in about 110-195 watts depending on the content, 4K and HDR is on the higher end. Forgot to mention that I also bought a small beverage refrigerator in January which seems to be adding about 0.5kWh daily :facepalm: .

Every little bit really does save or increase consumption.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2724 posts
902 upvotes
Windsor
Sounds like you've basically nailed it down; an additional ~6kWh/day isn't all that bad considering you've now got (at least) 4 people at home all day, when previously you had far fewer. A range can definitely use up some electrons, and unfortunately it's not too easy to quantify. Safe to say, with all the cooking, that's probably substantial (easily 3kWh as a wild guess).

Off topic stuff:
I'm curious how much your NG usage went down (or up) since adding the induction cooker. I'm debating a change in my range, and those induction ranges look like a pretty nice option that doesn't require me calling in an NG guy, or changing my hood.

Also, I'd love to see this Hallowe'en display; hoping to up my Hallowe'en game this year. It's been all lights previously, but hoping to add some props and music.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2585 posts
1070 upvotes
Mississauga
ChubChub wrote: Sounds like you've basically nailed it down; an additional ~6kWh/day isn't all that bad considering you've now got (at least) 4 people at home all day, when previously you had far fewer. A range can definitely use up some electrons, and unfortunately it's not too easy to quantify. Safe to say, with all the cooking, that's probably substantial (easily 3kWh as a wild guess).

Off topic stuff:
I'm curious how much your NG usage went down (or up) since adding the induction cooker. I'm debating a change in my range, and those induction ranges look like a pretty nice option that doesn't require me calling in an NG guy, or changing my hood.

Also, I'd love to see this Hallowe'en display; hoping to up my Hallowe'en game this year. It's been all lights previously, but hoping to add some props and music.
NG hardly has any reduction. My year to date NG went down slightly(1042m3 vs 1129m3) but with less heating degree days of 52 vs 66. I previously kept the heat running during the day so have not adjusted setpoints now that the kids at home. As for the induction, it is worth it just for the ease of clean up.

Sadly for my halloween decoration I have never taken decent pictures of the whole setup but here are some from 2017 and 2018 while I was decorating, it is missing the lawn ornaments. The video is my 2019 display which my wife attempted to record, it is mostly there but missing a few orange string lights and the fog machine.

On the bisto table, that is actually old my motorcycle suit with a balloon shaped head under a mask. I put it in place only on Halloween day, sometimes I dress up and take a seat next to it.

Video quality is not the best but you'll get a rough idea of the setup.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3750 posts
1086 upvotes
Oshawa
This is our usage as per Oshawa PUC on our most recent invoice (billed to March 23 2020):

IMG_20200503_185653.jpg

Our average hydro bills in 2020 so far is: $59.60 per month
Our average hydro bills in 2019 was: $60.32 per month
Our average hydro bills in 2018 was: $57.62 per month
Our average hydro bills in 2017 was: $60.20 per month
16' x 11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling w/ a 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1546 posts
1375 upvotes
Toronto
I'm at a loss for my place...

I live in Hamilton - my house was built in 2017. It's approximately 1600 SQFT.

Gas heater

Gas Water Heater (tank)

I live by myself, and I'm away typically from 7:30 AM - 6 PM every day.

I've unplugged every device in my home that I am not using. Nothing is running during the day (air purifier, monitors, fans, etc). All of the lights are off. HVAC system is set to the lowest fan cycle time possible, temperature is set to 16 degrees when I'm away and 18 degrees while I'm home (gas heat).

Still I am using between 11-22 kwh / Day... Is there something I'm missing? Literally the only things I do at home is use the stove to boil water, the microwave (for 1-2 minutes), a frying pan (5-10 minutes at most) and watch TV / take a shower / use my laptop / charge my phone. All of my lights are high efficiency LED already, and I have them all off almost all the time. Alectra says my usage is higher than 70% of homes in my area. How it's possible I have no idea. I feel like I should be using barely any electricity at all.

These are the only items I can imagine are running with any frequency:

1. HVAC fan cycling for 5 minutes / hour

2. Fridge (1 fridge, 2017 model year, regular sized, set to mid range temperature)

3. Possible sump pump in my basement? When it runs, it's for less than a minute at a time and it's out of a pool / highly efficient. I haven't seen / heard it running in ages

4. My Anker wireless phone charger (unplugged during the day, charging my phone at night)

Anyone have any ideas what else it could be? I even have my TV unplugged when I'm not using it to kill residual electrical usage.

EDIT;

Bill is usually $100 + / Month for electricity alone including delivery, fees, etc
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3344 posts
518 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
xjesterxx wrote: I'm at a loss for my place...

Gas heater

Gas Water Heater (tank)

I've unplugged every device in my home that I am not using. Nothing is running during the day (air purifier, monitors, fans, etc). All of the lights are off. HVAC system is set to the lowest fan cycle time possible, temperature is set to 16 degrees when I'm away and 18 degrees while I'm home (gas heat).

Still I am using between 11-22 kwh / Day... Is there something I'm missing? Literally the only things I do at home is use the stove to boil water, the microwave (for 1-2 minutes), a frying pan (5-10 minutes at most) and watch TV / take a shower / use my laptop / charge my phone. All of my lights are high efficiency LED already, and I have them all off almost all the time. Alectra says my usage is higher than 70% of homes in my area. How it's possible I have no idea. I feel like I should be using barely any electricity at all.

2. Fridge (1 fridge, 2017 model year, regular sized, set to mid range temperature)

3. Possible sump pump in my basement? When it runs, it's for less than a minute at a time and it's out of a pool / highly efficient. I haven't seen / heard it running in ages

4. My Anker wireless phone charger (unplugged during the day, charging my phone at night)

Anyone have any ideas what else it could be? I even have my TV unplugged when I'm not using it to kill residual electrical usage.

EDIT;

Bill is usually $100 + / Month for electricity alone including delivery, fees, etc
Are your neighbors plugged in to your place? Is it a single family detached home? Those numbers seem high. Are you able to view hourly usage? Maybe that might yield some clues. See what the baseline idle consumption is at night and during the day vs when you are at home. Why is it fluctuating from 11 to 22? Are you doing laundry when you are around 22? Cooking for a couple of hours can bump things up but microwave use is minimal kWh. Do you have a room with a baseboard heater?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11558 posts
6086 upvotes
Brampton

Gas heater

Gas Water Heater (tank)

EDIT;

Unless you have an ECM motor stop doing that.
5min an hour is gonna kill you capacitor or motor quick. If you're going to run it at least give it 15 mins. 5 mins isnt enough time to cycle the air anyway. And the start runs on a PCM motor surges a lot of power. I bet that's your biggest draw besides the stove/oven and sump.
Yes sumps draw a lot of power too unless it's also an ECM aka DC sump.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1546 posts
1375 upvotes
Toronto
fergy wrote: Are your neighbors plugged in to your place? Is it a single family detached home? Those numbers seem high. Are you able to view hourly usage? Maybe that might yield some clues. See what the baseline idle consumption is at night and during the day vs when you are at home. Why is it fluctuating from 11 to 22? Are you doing laundry when you are around 22? Cooking for a couple of hours can bump things up but microwave use is minimal kWh. Do you have a room with a baseboard heater?
No baseboards here - just 1 central system in the crawl space.

I actually thought the same thing about the neighbors - when my neighbor moved in, I received his energy bill addressed to my name with his address the first time. He said he fixed it - I called the utility company and they assure me the only meter attached to my bill is mine.
tebore wrote: Unless you have an ECM motor stop doing that.
5min an hour is gonna kill you capacitor or motor quick. If you're going to run it at least give it 15 mins. 5 mins isnt enough time to cycle the air anyway. And the start runs on a PCM motor surges a lot of power. I bet that's your biggest draw besides the stove/oven and sump.
Yes sumps draw a lot of power too unless it's also an ECM aka DC sump.
Thanks for the tip - I actually turned it off completely the other day. Will that cause any issues you think?

I can see spikes in usage at night, which I can only assume would be the sump pump turning on and running... Strange that I haven't seen any water at all in the back yard - it evacuates into a french well that usually spills over into a drainage ditch I dug.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2724 posts
902 upvotes
Windsor
11kWh / day seems very high for your indicated use (especially if you're considering right now, where temps aren't low enough to require a lot of heat).

You might be well served with a Kill-A-Watt; can test anything that plugs into a wall for power consumption. You might even be able to rent them from your local library, but they're pretty cheap as a tool. Maybe you have something that is operating way out of spec? Or, something weird that consumes a lot that you're not really thinking about (a Playstation, for example, or more likely a DVR) is contributing a lot more than you think. Do you have a cellar with a 100w incandescent running by accident? A shed with the same? Something is definitely awry.

For comparison, I am able to stay under 11kWh/day easily, in a 1970s brick ranch 1,250sq.ft home that is definitely a lot less efficient than your 2017 home (even considering the size difference), and my GF pretty much is anti-conservation (blowdryer, flat iron, lights on all the time, fans on at night for no reason, etc etc). On "my" end, I have a 24/7 running 12C server, a bunch of working-from-home related equipment (NAS, switches, AP, etc), a "lot" of home automation (using 3kWh cumulatively/day alone), and I have always worked from home, keeping the house at 20.5°C always during the heating season.

Can't wait to hear what you find is the culprit.

re: sump pump: You would have to have an insane setup where the sump-pump impacts anything (unless the outlet is plugged). I have a LOT of water problems at my place, and the sump runs for maybe 2 minutes/day unless it's raining. It draws 1/2hp (so, ~400w) for 2 minutes ... so like 0.013kWh/day. Even if it ran for an hour/day, which would be crazy even during a 24h storm, it would only be 0.4kWh ... and most sump pumps are only ~250w.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1546 posts
1375 upvotes
Toronto
ChubChub wrote: 11kWh / day seems very high for your indicated use (especially if you're considering right now, where temps aren't low enough to require a lot of heat).

You might be well served with a Kill-A-Watt; can test anything that plugs into a wall for power consumption. You might even be able to rent them from your local library, but they're pretty cheap as a tool. Maybe you have something that is operating way out of spec? Or, something weird that consumes a lot that you're not really thinking about (a Playstation, for example, or more likely a DVR) is contributing a lot more than you think. Do you have a cellar with a 100w incandescent running by accident? A shed with the same? Something is definitely awry.

For comparison, I am able to stay under 11kWh/day easily, in a 1970s brick ranch 1,250sq.ft home that is definitely a lot less efficient than your 2017 home (even considering the size difference), and my GF pretty much is anti-conservation (blowdryer, flat iron, lights on all the time, fans on at night for no reason, etc etc). On "my" end, I have a 24/7 running 12C server, a bunch of working-from-home related equipment (NAS, switches, AP, etc), a "lot" of home automation (using 3kWh cumulatively/day alone), and I have always worked from home, keeping the house at 20.5°C always during the heating season.

Can't wait to hear what you find is the culprit.

re: sump pump: You would have to have an insane setup where the sump-pump impacts anything (unless the outlet is plugged). I have a LOT of water problems at my place, and the sump runs for maybe 2 minutes/day unless it's raining. It draws 1/2hp (so, ~400w) for 2 minutes ... so like 0.013kWh/day. Even if it ran for an hour/day, which would be crazy even during a 24h storm, it would only be 0.4kWh ... and most sump pumps are only ~250w.
I managed to get it down to 6 KWH for an entire 24H period.

Yesterday I was off and home all day - I used 34 KWH.

That includes 2 loads of laundry, heating up the oven to 400f for 10 minutes, watching TV and using my laptop... Still seems insanely high. I feel like one of my devices is leeching electricity like mad when it's plugged in - I'll look into the Kill-A-Watt to see if maybe I can get my hands on one to search out the issue.