Green / Eco-Friendly

How many KWh do you use in a day?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2020 2:32 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 26, 2019
3 posts
fergy wrote: Electric hot water tank? Pool/sauna heater/pump?
Gas hot water tank, no pool, no electric heat. We have an hrv and we had the furnace fan set to recirculate during the day because we have 2 stories and the second one is often 2 degrees hotter than the others. I'm doing some experimenting with the fan settings to see if that makes any significant difference. We used 13 kwh of power from 8pm to 8am last night while we were mostly sleeping so something is drawing.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3344 posts
518 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
KatelynS58994 wrote: Gas hot water tank, no pool, no electric heat. We have an hrv and we had the furnace fan set to recirculate during the day because we have 2 stories and the second one is often 2 degrees hotter than the others. I'm doing some experimenting with the fan settings to see if that makes any significant difference. We used 13 kwh of power from 8pm to 8am last night while we were mostly sleeping so something is drawing.
It's been quite some time since I looked at the sticker on my furnace fan but for some reason 700 watts come to mind. My furnace fan can a times, more than double my electricity consumption in the winter.
Mar 26, 2019
3 posts
fergy wrote: It's been quite some time since I looked at the sticker on my furnace fan but for some reason 700 watts come to mind. My furnace fan can a times, more than double my electricity consumption in the winter.
So I shut off the recirculation fan and hrv and the overnight usage dropped to 7. The next night I ran around and unplugged everything I could find and shut off power bars. The usage went to 3 last night! I'm amazed.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4588 posts
1998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
KatelynS58994 wrote: So I shut off the recirculation fan and hrv and the overnight usage dropped to 7.
Depending on your furnace/air handler and whether it can handle a multiple speeds, you might consider getting an ECM motor which will allow circulation at lower speed and lower power consumption.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4588 posts
1998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Went out to a private time-share rental that my wife was considering buying into so we were away from home for 6 nts though we came back a few times (to water non-irrigated plants).

Power consumption for the previous 3 1/2 weeks was 16.7 KWh/day. Dropped to 9.36 the day we left (coffee and some cooking in the morning, turned the HW heater off). Average the following five days was 4.66 KWh/day. That should be limited to the fridge and freezer, and standbys such as modems, switches, etc. and septic tank dispersal pump/control panel so I guess that is our base load minus HW heating and heating/cooling (HP has not been used to cool this year, just fan for ventilation on warmer days).
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Aug 12, 2008
129 posts
14 upvotes
Main Floor of a House - 900 sq.ft. Couple. No Kids.

Ductless A/C - 2 heads.

- A/C generally only on in bedroom at night (8 hrs/night).
- cook every night
- Lights only on at night.

Based on June Bill:
-8.5 kWh/day

Delivery charges are 1x the actual cost of electricity...$52 (delivery) vs $49 for electricity....