Green / Eco-Friendly

How many m3 (natural gas) do you use per month?

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2020 7:32 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1849 posts
876 upvotes
My December bill is 145, including 30 for HWT rental. I'm in Ottawa, middle unit town house, three people living in the house. January bill would probably be higher, given it's a rather cold winter this year. My dryer is electric, so is my stove. Most of the gas usage goes to heating and HWT.
Jan 27, 2015
37 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just got my bill for mid Dec to mid Jan, 30 days total...$190 total for 528 m3. My house is a 1600 sf bungalow, only have it for hot water tank and heating. I set my nest to 19 when not home and 22 when I am, usually only weeknights and weekends

Is this abnormal? It was freezing over the holidays and up until this week.
Nov 27, 2003
225 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
That sounds about right to me. I just received my Jan-Feb bill, and it was $119.35 for 337 m3 of gas usage this period. I have a 1500 sf bungalow too, and I believe I'm only using it for hot water tank and heating as well. However, I typically set my Nest to 20C during home periods, and 16C during away periods.
freshnoodles wrote: Just got my bill for mid Dec to mid Jan, 30 days total...$190 total for 528 m3. My house is a 1600 sf bungalow, only have it for hot water tank and heating. I set my nest to 19 when not home and 22 when I am, usually only weeknights and weekends

Is this abnormal? It was freezing over the holidays and up until this week.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2724 posts
902 upvotes
Windsor
397m3 for Dec 27 to Jan. 29 ... heat is always at 73°F, ~1200sq.ft ranch w/lived-in basement. Windsor, Ontario
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Apr 17, 2017
54 posts
13 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Have you guys ever used 7 cu meters in less than 24 hours in June? We did.
Moved in the duplex on June 27 afternoon and called in Enbridge to set up an account. The other day (June 28) I took the picture of the gas meter (just because I used to report readings and not pay for "estimate").
Got my first bill form Enbridge yesterday and was surprises because the reading made on June 27 is 7 cu m less compared to one it *actually* was on June 28.
So it is ens of June, we just moves in ans were busy with unpacking boxes ans water is heared wit electricity. However, 7 cu meters were consumed in a day. In June.
It is not about the money (about 1 dollae for rhe amount "consumed"). It is about how the company treats customers. A dollar here and a dollar there and nobody cares...
Frustrated and waiting for the first Hydro Ottawa bill...
English is not my mother tongue
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2586 posts
1071 upvotes
Mississauga
ihorcv wrote: Have you guys ever used 7 cu meters in less than 24 hours in June? We did.
Moved in the duplex on June 27 afternoon and called in Enbridge to set up an account. The other day (June 28) I took the picture of the gas meter (just because I used to report readings and not pay for "estimate").
Got my first bill form Enbridge yesterday and was surprises because the reading made on June 27 is 7 cu m less compared to one it *actually* was on June 28.
So it is ens of June, we just moves in ans were busy with unpacking boxes ans water is heared wit electricity. However, 7 cu meters were consumed in a day. In June.
It is not about the money (about 1 dollae for rhe amount "consumed"). It is about how the company treats customers. A dollar here and a dollar there and nobody cares...
Frustrated and waiting for the first Hydro Ottawa bill...
7m3 is pretty high especially for June with an electric water heater in your house.

Who took the read on June 27th? Are you 100% sure it was a June 27 read or might have been a few days earlier?

To find out if your place actually consumes 7m3 daily, just take the read today minus your actual read from June 28 then divide by 21 days.
Apr 17, 2017
54 posts
13 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Don't know who read the meter and when exactly. However, on the bill it says that the reading was done on June 27.
I compared the readings I made last night with the picture taken on June 28. There are no changes in numbers whatsoever. So I am getting zero m3 divided by 21 day :)
English is not my mother tongue
Nov 22, 2019
1 posts
Hi I'm living in a 3 bedroom one bath one floor house I'm estimating about 2000sqf house. First bill moved in Nov 1. Bill dated Nov 1-18. Bill says usage is 554m3 for those days. Average 30m3 a day. I feel like that is very high. Stove and furnace is gas everything else is electric. Hot water is run on gas. Temp in the house kept at 69c. My bill came in at $170. Never had a gas bill before but seems very high and unusual. Any one have any ideas if this is too high or if something could be wrong?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3711 posts
2594 upvotes
Toronto
I feel like my furnace runs non stop set at 70 in the winter. The thermostat is the main room next to the kitchen and entrance etc and the furnace runs more often than not. Chalking it up to being in a quickly built townhouse that is poorly insulated at this point, it feels very drafty
FreezingCanada wrote: We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5941 posts
2432 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
CoolDudeClan wrote: I feel like my furnace runs non stop set at 70 in the winter. The thermostat is the main room next to the kitchen and entrance etc and the furnace runs more often than not. Chalking it up to being in a quickly built townhouse that is poorly insulated at this point, it feels very drafty
Find it more comfortable when furnace runs longer at stage 1 however not non stop.

Most likely due to like you said drafty poor insulated house. But would suggest to get another thermometer or two and see if they agree with the readings on the tstat. Ours is always 4-6 F off no matter which tstat we use and so could just manually offset or we actually offset in settings.

Idea being that perhaps your tstat set at 70 F is actually like 72 or 74 or higher then 70 so on colder days it runs nonstop.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1420 posts
321 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
Gas furnace and hot water tank, both about 8 years old for a 1400 sq ft detached bungalow. Winter temps set at 17c when away/over night and 19c when home.

Oct - Nov: 139m3
Sep - Oct: 49m3
Aug - Sep: 16m3
Jul - Aug: 27m3
Jun - Jul: 37m3
May - Jun: 25m3
Apr - May 98m3
Mar - Apr 187m3
Feb - Mar 282m3
Jan - Feb 277m3
Dec - Jan 295m3
Nov - Dec 215m3
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3447 posts
1738 upvotes
Waterloo
Figured I'd ask this here instead of making a new thread.

1) For those with an ecobee (or I suppose any smart thermostat), what is your heat differential temperature set at? Mine is at 1.7°C, meaning once the temperature reaches 1.7°C below what my temperature is set at, my furnace turns on. This is the max that my ecobee will allow. Is it better to have a short or longer differential?
2) How often does everyone's furnace turn on?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5941 posts
2432 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
crystallight wrote: Figured I'd ask this here instead of making a new thread.

1) For those with an ecobee (or I suppose any smart thermostat), what is your heat differential temperature set at? Mine is at 1.7°C, meaning once the temperature reaches 1.7°C below what my temperature is set at, my furnace turns on. This is the max that my ecobee will allow. Is it better to have a short or longer differential?
2) How often does everyone's furnace turn on?
Have it at 1F differential and min 10 mins runtime.

Also, 35 mins stage 1 heat before stage 2 comes on

Play with first two settings in differential and see what work for you in terms of comfort. Note that our settings actually mean we use more gas for furnace not less BUT comfort more important for us.

IMHO furnace runs of 15 min or more are good for most folks... so on/off 2-3 times every hour and sometimes even 60 minutes or longer runs.

I would think your furnace runs for long time since differential is at max... to get to desired temp.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3447 posts
1738 upvotes
Waterloo
georvu wrote: Have it at 1F differential and min 10 mins runtime.

Also, 35 mins stage 1 heat before stage 2 comes on

Play with first two settings in differential and see what work for you in terms of comfort. Note that our settings actually mean we use more gas for furnace not less BUT comfort more important for us.

IMHO furnace runs of 15 min or more are good for most folks... so on/off 2-3 times every hour and sometimes even 60 minutes or longer runs.

I would think your furnace runs for long time since differential is at max... to get to desired temp.
Are you saying that since your furnace turns on more frequently due to the 1F differential, this causes more gas to be used? Why would it cause more gas? I would've figured even with a higher differential that it would still use the same amount of gas, just that the furnace turns on less frequently and stays on longer when it does.

If furnace runs for 15+ mins and goes on/off 2-3 times per hour, that means the furnace is turned on for 30-45+ mins per hour? Meaning it's on more than it's off. That seems wayyy too much, no?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5941 posts
2432 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
crystallight wrote: Are you saying that since your furnace turns on more frequently due to the 1F differential, this causes more gas to be used? Why would it cause more gas? I would've figured even with a higher differential that it would still use the same amount of gas, just that the furnace turns on less frequently and stays on longer when it does.

If furnace runs for 15+ mins and goes on/off 2-3 times per hour, that means the furnace is turned on for 30-45+ mins per hour? Meaning it's on more than it's off. That seems wayyy too much, no?
More gas used because using manual staging so more in stage 1 which is not as efficient as stage 2.

With builder furnace it would run for like 5-8 mins at a time which is not very efficient. Set furnace way you want and its run time is what it is.

Do suggest to check temp rise is within specs.