Cell Phones

How many Manufacturing Defective phones have you had?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2020 9:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18378 posts
2205 upvotes
Woodbridge

How many Manufacturing Defective phones have you had?

Regardless how big or small the defect is, how many have you had and obviously covered under warranty.

I lost count but since 2009 counting only Smart Phones, I've purchased over 100 and went through defective phones.

A few days ago, my Samsung Galaxy A71 after Googling it. I got the Green Display of Death. Basically defective display.

This is my second defective phone, the other was just a Dead Pixel on my Galaxy S7 edge.

My A71 will be ready by 3PM today by Service Centre in Sauga.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
27 replies
Feb 29, 2020
130 posts
24 upvotes
If you go over 9.09 phones every 365 days over the last decade, I think you pacing the average...
bembol wrote: ... I lost count but since 2009 counting only Smart Phones, I've purchased over 100 and went through defective phones.

A few days ago, my Samsung Galaxy A71 after Googling it. I got the Green Display of Death. Basically defective display.

This is my second defective phone, the other was just a Dead Pixel on my Galaxy S7 edge.

My A71 will be ready by 3PM today by Service Centre in Sauga.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18819 posts
8493 upvotes
Oakville
Only phone I can think of off the top of my head was my Nexus 6P which had the widely reported "random shutdown on low battery" issues - but that was after 2 years of owning it, and wasn't covered under warranty. Any other phone that's broken, has either physically broken due to mishandling (drop/sit on/etc) or I've gotten rid of it before it died.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2013
1079 posts
436 upvotes
Markham
Only phone I've had a major defect was the LG G4 boot loop. (Will NEVER forget that horrible experience.) Because I had the international variant I wasn't able to get it replaced. I've pretty much stayed away from international variants since. (Also LG for that matter. Though, the LG threads in Hot Deals have some saying it's fine now...)

Other than that, I haven't had any defects with my other previous smartphones: HTC One X, Samsung S4, S7 Edge, S8.
13:6W-365. 14:11W-2134. 15:10W-1749. 16:4W-8120. 17:11W-2797.49. 18:8W-210. 19:7W-466.75. 20:13W-8234.04

Currently For Sale: 2 SONOS One SL Speakers
Sep 5, 2013
78 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga
I was late to the smartphone world - so none.
That includes 6 or 7 phones total.
Of those, 3 had problems that were fixed with software updates, rather than returned under warranty.

Edit: I was one of those guys that thought I wouldn't use the 'smart' features very much, including browsing, email or navigation.
Now I feel bad for my Garmin (with lifetime map updates) because I use Google Maps 100% of the time.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2005
1294 posts
225 upvotes
Vancouver
Only phone was the nexus 6p, got it covered under warranty and sold it sealed in the box.
Graphic Designer
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4245 posts
2535 upvotes
Gotham
I've had two bad iPhone 4s. After that I had Galaxy S3, S5, S7, and S9 without any issues.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4450 posts
1761 upvotes
GTA
Another Nexus 6P victim here. Mine had a bent volume rocker. The battery issue didn't start until a few months ago. I handed it down to my younger brother who still used it until then.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5788 posts
1913 upvotes
I used to buy all the flagship phones but have slowed down a lot, never had a real defective phone except once. It was replaced under warranty (I didn't have receipt, it was from Sony), this was many yrs ago (like maybe 5 yrs ago?)
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10569 posts
894 upvotes
Vancouver
I've had 6 phones over the last decade and each one of them had 1 or 2 little things wrong with it, but none were truly defective. I did have a LG G3 that developed constant wifi issues but that was a couple of years after I had moved on to a different phone.
<< Public Mobile, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital, STACK user >>
FS: Phanteks Low Profile Cooler | Athlon X2 265
MY HEATWARE
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2074 posts
1155 upvotes
Calgary
Outside of assisting Koodo & LG to work out a bug with saving WiFi settings on the G3 at launch, I’d say 1.5.

1. Galaxy S7. A week after I got it, I had a weird bug where it wouldn’t power up off the charger. Plugging it in would show full power, but it would shut off upon removing the cord. Eventually I got it working for a bit but it happened again and I exchanged it.

0.5. I’m putting the (infamous) Note7 as half a point. While mine “technically” didn’t seem to have a fault, I wasn’t about to take any chances when the device was recalled. I actually fought with Rogers to let me switch to a different phone entirely as I wasn’t convinced the replacement units were fine (as it turned out, I made a good decision).
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18819 posts
8493 upvotes
Oakville
Oh! I forgot another issue - I had an iPhone 5 for work, and it developed a bulging battery about 1.5 years into ownership. That was fun/scary.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21207 posts
2509 upvotes
Toronto
3 within my family - started buying iphone 3GS and Blackberry 8800 series....all purchased brand new....

1. Blackberry Q10 - one died when I was GPSing...that was fun. It just died, thinking due to overheating. I was stuck on the road, lost! Sent in for a replacement under warranty. My wife's Q10 would reboot when placed on a desk with a little bump. Sent that in for replacement under warranty and the replacement was fine.

2. Iphone 5s - also developed the battery bulge but this was years after the warranty expired. I think the phone was dropped, hence the bulge? I opened the phone and replaced the battery myself.

3. Iphone XS Max 256gb - issues with the display which would freeze when talking on the phone (unable to awake the screen). Replaced by Apple with a new replacement. No issues since.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
1291 posts
71 upvotes
Montreal
So far I had the following smartphones : iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, Galaxy S3, S6 and S8.

Only replaced the iPhone 4 before the end of the warranty as it was sometimes dropping calls if my memory is good.
Oct 14, 2006
187 posts
88 upvotes
Richmond
No issues so far. Long Term Use Phones:

Old HTC Android 2.3.1
Galaxy Note LTE
LG G4
Google Pixel 3 XL

Other phones used for shorter durations:
Galaxy Note 3
iPhone 4S
LG V20

Can't say that I've ever experienced a phone hardware fault, other than the old HTC lost its signal when I dropped it at the dentist... I finally chucked it across the floor in frustration, and when I checked it later it had its signal back.

My old LG G4 took about 5 trips across a road and went swimming in two puddles, and never broke or fried. It still works today. It has taken more severe hits than any that I have seen.

I got fed up with Apple after my 4S died on iOS upgrades twice and had to be restored from a computer with iTunes. That plus the later battery-shutdown and throttling issues (and the lack of useful features for a heavy email user) finally convinced me that they were the Microsoft of phones, and I bailed to where the grass is greener. (Google/Android.)