Sports & Recreation

How many marathons are there in the Toronto each year?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2012 10:46 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2760 posts
228 upvotes
Canadia

How many marathons are there in the Toronto each year?

How many marathons in Toronto each year? (old city and the five boroughs)

Anyone know? Is it around an average of like 1 per week during spring summer and fall?
[external advertising link removed]
11 replies
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
nauru wrote: How many marathons in Toronto each year? (old city and the five boroughs)

Anyone know? Is it around an average of like 1 per week during spring summer and fall?

I think there are only two proper marathons.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Are you training for one? Seems like something everyone should have on their bucket list sort of thing.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2760 posts
228 upvotes
Canadia
I wouldn't say I'm training for one.

But I do run a lot, roughly 50km per week in spring and fall, 80km per week in the summer. However every time I go out it's on a whim with no preparation, no stretching, no special clothes, no special shoes and a 3kg backpack on my back. I heard this distance per week is what people who are going to run a marathon do as part of their "training". Longest in one go is 30k, with 23-25k typical.

The only thing that puts me off is the crowds of people. I always run alone, preferably in late afternoons, evenings or after dark in quiet residential areas such as the clean, leafy suburbs of North York. These marathons seem to be like huge social events in the dirtiest part of the city (downtown) with thousands of people, blaring music and posing for the camera, corporate advertisements everywhere and held in heavy-traffic commercial areas. Also not sure if any of them are in the evenings. Would really rather not be running in the morning.

Maybe something outside Toronto would be more my style? Fewer people, more trees, cleaner streets? Hopefully in afternoon, evening or night if that's an option? Not sure if cheaper as well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
nauru wrote: The only thing that puts me off is the crowds of people. I always run alone, preferably in late afternoons, evenings or after dark in quiet residential areas such as the clean, leafy suburbs of North York. These marathons seem to be like huge social events in the dirtiest part of the city (downtown) with thousands of people, blaring music and posing for the camera, corporate advertisements everywhere and held in heavy-traffic commercial areas. Also not sure if any of them are in the evenings. Would really rather not be running in the morning.

Maybe something outside Toronto would be more my style? Fewer people, more trees, cleaner streets? Hopefully in afternoon, evening or night if that's an option? Not sure if cheaper as well.

The fun in running a marathon is all the people. There's just something special about random strangers cheering you on as you're about to keel over after hitting the wall and you look around and there's 200 other people just as idiot as you are. Or if you want to get a race time for a certified 42.2km course, this is the way to go. See how you stack up to the other people. It's also nice to run w/o having to carry anything and have people hand it to you. Also look at the variety of theme marathons available too. Some people love this kind of thing.

However, if really just enjoy running for running and prefer doing it on your own, just run on your own. There's nothing wrong w/ not doing the major events. Tons of people run and never do a "race". In the end, you're just paying $ for a tshirt, medal and some shut down roads.

Is there something outside? Sure. Somersault, a small company in Ottawa runs a whole bunch of road race events. They're less commercialized and have way less people. Last year I volunteered at one of their night time marathons that started around 5pm I think? Maybe around 75 people in total. But it was 6 loops of the same route down the rideau canal with only 2 water stations. Vs say theOttawa Marathon where you get to run by city hall, war memorial, parliament, supreme court, war museum, china town, museum of civilization, along the ottawa river,down to Carleton U, and back along the Rideau Canal.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2760 posts
228 upvotes
Canadia
It would be really cool if there is something off-road, like a marathon through the woods somewhere. On dirt trails and such.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2003
4736 posts
204 upvotes
nauru wrote: How many marathons in Toronto each year? (old city and the five boroughs)

Goodlife Toronto Marathon (in May)
Mississauga Marathon (in May)
Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon (in October)

Others :
Whitby Marathon (in May)
Hamilton Marathon (in Nov)
Jan 6, 2008
434 posts
48 upvotes
There are several ultra runs near-by. Realize that the marathon distance has no meaning off-road. An entry level ultra is 50 km. It's a good place to start to see if you like it. 50 mile begins to get real and 100 mile gets you respect. Sulphur Springs in May is not full yet. All trail. no special requirements. Look here:
http://ouser.org/races.htm
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3791 posts
297 upvotes
YUL
Stock R wrote: However, if really just enjoy running for running and prefer doing it on your own, just run on your own. There's nothing wrong w/ not doing the major events. Tons of people run and never do a "race". In the end, you're just paying $ for a tshirt, medal and some shut down roads.

I really wish there are options for discounted entrance fees without the t-shirt and medals. I already have too many shirts, and who really cares about a participation medal anyway? I'm not in elementary school anymore!
Some of those medals are quite substantial. I'd say they can take at least $5 off the fees for each participant.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
twotterdhc6 wrote: I really wish there are options for discounted entrance fees without the t-shirt and medals. I already have too many shirts, and who really cares about a participation medal anyway? I'm not in elementary school anymore!
Some of those medals are quite substantial. I'd say they can take at least $5 off the fees for each participant.

There's a few no frills races available in every city. They keep the costs "low" by excluding all the extras, but sometimes I read their ads and I feel like they've stripped it down so much, they're really just keeping their overhead low for maximum profit based on the amount they're charging. But hey, what do I know.

Personally for me, depending on the event, I want/do not want certain stuff. Events where they're handing out cotton t-shirts or crappy dry-fit with 1000 logos on them, I can really do without. I usually just donate those shirts. However, I never not take it as I feel like Ive paid for it and they'd just junk them anyways. For a few races like the Army Run, I really like their camo long sleeves as they're really good quality from New Balance. The medals I like keeping just to feel like I achieved something for doing the event. I throw them all in a stack. Certain ones like my spinny Ottawa Marathon medal I really like. I know some events like Ironman Calgary 70.3 give a belt buckle...

Entry fees are so expensive now ($100 for a marathon), I feel like $5 off doens't even really make a dent. Although Ironman really takes the cake. I hear Ironman NYC was $1000 bucks to enter. LOL.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)